Analysis Are mental health triggers amplified at Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

It depends, If it's one of your favourite places to go, and all your friends go there, and it's one of the best ways to connect to your family members, why is it okay to let a bully stop you from going?
It's not whether it's OK or not. It's common sense, self preservation. You don't walk around dangerous parts of New York alone at night, because there is a fair chance that you'll get hurt. You don't eat seafood if you're allergic to it, because it's damaging to you. If you find internet barbs damaging, you should try to not consume them. Avoid media sites where you're likely to cop some barbs, or at least adjust your privacy settings and make them rigorously tight.

It seems so straight forward to me.

How we can make the internet a better place and safer place is a much more complex and difficult question, but until it occurs, people who are in the spotlight should expect to cop some blows if they've got an open non-anonymous account on a public forum, and if they're damaged by the blows, change their account.

It's not whether it's OK or not. It's common sense, self preservation. You don't walk around dangerous parts of New York alone at night, because there is a fair chance that you'll get hurt. You don't eat seafood if you're allergic to it, because it's damaging to you. If you find internet barbs damaging, you should try to not consume them. Avoid media sites where you're likely to cop some barbs, or at least adjust your privacy settings and make them rigorously tight.

It seems so straight forward to me.

How we can make the internet a better place and safer place is a much more complex and difficult question, but until it occurs, people who are in the spotlight should expect to cop some blows if they've got an open non-anonymous account on a public forum, and if they're damaged by the blows, change their account.

It seems so straight forward to you because you don't understand it. If you know people are abusing you on social media it can still have similar damaging effects whether you read it or not, because you already know what the abuse will say in your head. Then you add in the fact it's extremely hard to just "ignore" something when people are talking about you right in front of your face.

Like imagine your in class and 2 bullies are sitting in front of you whispering about you and laughing at you.. Your advice is simply ignore it...easier said than done, obviously, and many people can't handle ignoring it.

It seems so straight forward to you because you don't understand it. If you know people are abusing you on social media it can still have similar damaging effects whether you read it or not, because you already know what the abuse will say in your head. Then you add in the fact it's extremely hard to just "ignore" something when people are talking about you right in front of your face.

Like imagine your in class and 2 bullies are sitting in front of you whispering about you and laughing at you.. Your advice is simply ignore it...easier said than done, obviously, and many people can't handle ignoring it.

I'm not saying it's not a problematic issue for many, but when we are talking about the internet, where there isn't a teacher to intervene, what would you recommend the person does regarding barbs that they are finding damaging?

Unless laws are being broken and you can get the police to take action, the way I see it, you've got to either try to ignore it or suck it up. I'd advise getting off social media and ignoring it.

Step 1. Get off the sites
Step 2. See a counsellor if you are struggling

or

Step 1 See a counsellor, whose first bit of advice will probably be:
Step 2 Get off the sites.

I think you're confusing short term action to protect someone in danger with longer term action to change a culture.

Pain, mental or physical is pointless at this stage of our evolution, we're not animals anymore, if we get a boo boo on our pinky we don't need signals sent to the brain making it feel like someone is stabbing it for hours on end.

We aren't quite there yet but medical tech and social drugs are going to the same place, be it nano tech or beyond we'll be regulating our bodies and our mood in the future to be at an optimal level of functioning, I reckon we shoot for a 2 beer buzz, the world would get along if it was on a 2 beer high

Pain, mental or physical is pointless at this stage of our evolution, we're not animals anymore, if we get a boo boo on our pinky we don't need signals sent to the brain making it feel like someone is stabbing it for hours on end.

We aren't quite there yet but medical tech and social drugs are going to the same place, be it nano tech or beyond we'll be regulating our bodies and our mood in the future to be at an optimal level of functioning, I reckon we shoot for a 2 beer buzz, the world would get along if it was on a 2 beer high
And how boring will the world be?It'll be one long fart gag, which can b very funny, until it's not.

Great art, intellectual breakthroughs, great triumph. They don't happen without pain.

And how boring will the world be?It'll be one long fart gag, which can b very funny, until it's not.

Great art, intellectual breakthroughs, great triumph. They don't happen without pain.
Everything you feel and sense is a chemical reaction in your brain, art doesn't exist

Everything you feel and sense is a chemical reaction in your brain, art doesn't exist

Art exists within the beholder.

Just because you have a bunch of chemicals, art always comes from the self, that's why everyone's art is different.

Your feelings may not really exist, but art does, it is one of the many things that trigger the release of chemicals in your brain.
It's a phantom like everything else, code at best

Art exists within the beholder.

Just because you have a bunch of chemicals, art always comes from the self, that's why everyone's art is different.
The beholder doesn't exist

It's odd on Big Footy when the football season ends, when we continue to post but none of us really exist.
The lips of wisdom are sealed except to the ears of understanding

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back