Remove this Banner Ad

barry

All Australian
Sep 7, 2001
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Sydney
Arm bands are getting beyond a joke. The players have them on more times than they dont.
The entire Melbourne team wore black arm bands today because some bloke who used to run the BBQ died.....And Travis Johnson wore two arm bands (dont know what the other reason was).

The AFL should step in and make a rule that arm bands can only be worn when a past-player of more than 150 games dies, or someone in your immediate family, and no more than 3 per year.

Careful

Careful,

I posted the sam topic a few weeks ago and was told "I was taking whinging to a new nadir"

I agree it's getting ridiculous the players may as well get a black band tattooed on their arm when drafted to the AFL. Save them having to wear that annnoying tape every week!;)

Re: Careful

Originally posted by qldtiger
Careful,

I posted the sam topic a few weeks ago and was told "I was taking whinging to a new nadir"

I agree it's getting ridiculous the players may as well get a black band tattooed on their arm when drafted to the AFL. Save them having to wear that annnoying tape every week!;)

I am glad someone agrees with me. (I'ms sorry I missed your previous post).

I cant recall any other sport where such a bizzare and over-used tradition occurs. THey are able to share their greif of an associate dying by more conventional means............LIKE SENDING FLOWERS!!!!

And -PC28-, the saturation and mis-use of arm bands is about as important as any of the other mindless issues facing the AFL. (except maybe flooding).

I'm glad you knew who the armbands were for - I had no idea. I didn't even notice they were wearing them until the 2nd quarter when someone asked me who died and I couldn't answer.
Maybe if players are wearing them it should be put up on the scoreboard why. After all, they had plenty of other stuff up on the scoreboard, like the countdown clock far too many times.

Arm bands are getting beyond a joke. The players have them on more times than they dont.
The entire Melbourne team wore black arm bands today because some bloke who used to run the BBQ died.....And Travis Johnson wore two arm bands (dont know what the other reason was).

The AFL should step in and make a rule that arm bands can only be worn when a past-player of more than 150 games dies, or someone in your immediate family, and no more than 3 per year.

Jesus wanna keep having a sook? I know I’m like 11 years late but it’s a piece of black tape and you’re here crying about it. It’s to symbolise someone part of the team player or someone behind the scenes passing away it’s a sign of respect and here is your disrespectful ass complaining for no reason. Does it affect the game? Nope so what’s the problem then mate?

Jesus wanna keep having a sook? I know I’m like 11 years late but it’s a piece of black tape and you’re here crying about it. It’s to symbolise someone part of the team player or someone behind the scenes passing away it’s a sign of respect and here is your disrespectful ass complaining for no reason. Does it affect the game? Nope so what’s the problem then mate?
Not 11 years, 22 years late

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

It hasn't really happened yet but OP correctly identifies that we are potentially on the cusp of significant overuse. Its a yawn but perhaps the league could give some thought to an alternative acknowledgment.

If it gets out of hand then an overzealous strapper could potentially bind two players together at the shoulder due to misapplication of an armband. Those two players would then have to play like that, shoulder to shoulder, lockstep for the rest of the game. That could affect game strategy, the ability to run and spread ... and also bench rotations. The effect could be dizzying if they are in fact facing opposite directions when the mistake is made. Neither club nor media analysts would be sharp enough to spot the problem, either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It hasn't really happened yet but OP correctly identifies that we are potentially on the cusp of significant overuse. Its a yawn but perhaps the league could give some thought to an alternative acknowledgment.

If it gets out of hand then an overzealous strapper could potentially bind two players together at the shoulder due to misapplication of an armband. Those two players would then have to play like that, shoulder to shoulder, lockstep for the rest of the game. That could affect game strategy, the ability to run and spread ... and also bench rotations. The effect could be dizzying if they are in fact facing opposite directions when the mistake is made. Neither club nor media analysts would be sharp enough to spot the problem, either.
Gordon Bombay had the right idea - the collective group waist band

1715728318067.png

Dude, I'd be surprised if Barry cares anymore.

Barry was last online in 2009 but has the Gold Coast Suns as his team?
My understanding is there was once a time where you didn't need to have a team listed, and for those that never chose one, they were assigned Gold Coast.

I may be very, very wrong though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back