Politics & Government Army & army reserves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Train Signals

Draftee
Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Preston
AFL Club
Richmond
I am just wondering what exactly does someone in the reserves do?

The website gives some but not much information. Thanks :)

They have to rock up on a tuesday night, work from 5 - 9 or something like that. Once a year they have to participate in an exercise.
That would be my guess. Not sure if there is a requirement for how many tuesdays they have to rock up too.
Sorry I cant be of too much more help

Basic training (I think it's 28 days now) at wagga
2 weeks of extra quals training that you do in the first year or so.

Then

1 night a week; usually tuesdays from 7-10pm. Doing Pt, theory, parade, drinking, drills, riflerange ect
1 weekend a month; All sorts of activities. Mostly going out bush and playing armymen.
2 weeks a year away with your unit (and a sometimes other regiments ext). Big training operation's and the like.

It's a part time job but it's more like a casual job. If you can't make it for whatever reason just let your unit/corporal/sergeant/whatever know.

Good fun.

Havent been in the reserves since 2007 though and changes happen all the time. Basic for me was 45 days but I'm pretty sure it's just 28 now.

Basic training (I think it's 28 days now) at wagga
2 weeks of extra quals training that you do in the first year or so.

Then

1 night a week; usually tuesdays from 7-10pm. Doing Pt, theory, parade, drinking, drills, riflerange ect
1 weekend a month; All sorts of activities. Mostly going out bush and playing armymen.
2 weeks a year away with your unit (and a sometimes other regiments ext). Big training operation's and the like.

It's a part time job but it's more like a casual job. If you can't make it for whatever reason just let your unit/corporal/sergeant/whatever know.

Good fun.

Havent been in the reserves since 2007 though and changes happen all the time. Basic for me was 45 days but I'm pretty sure it's just 28 now.

More or less this. It's changed a bit since 07 (as it does from time to time), but to be honest your experience as a Choc will depend a great deal on where you are, and how much effort you put in. Hvaing said that, it doesn't matter if you're ARA or a Choc... useless wastes of space aren't welcome, and need not apply. If you go in with the wrong attitude, I can guarantee that'll be picked up with alacrity, and let's just say you won't enjoy your time.

In terms of time investment, some guys are happy to just turn up at the scheduled activities and that's it.... good for them, nothing wrong there. Taking that approach you'll probably rack up some 30-60 days of service per year. These days I pretty much fall into this category. Some on the other hand do extra... they want the extra work and money without needing to have the usual complications of a more intense civvie job... or they're young with no other life obligations, and get really into it and want to do a bit more without going the full hog and going ARA. Guys who do work extra days can rack up some serious 'man-days'... about 100/120 or more dependent on certain administrative requirements. Also not a drama... the Army is as varied as the society it draws its members from.

It'll vary from unit to unit, but opportunities for training trips within Australia, to Malaysia (Butterworth) or low intensity non-warlike ops like Solly's are on the cards too, something that wouldn't really have been on the cards to that many units even four or five years ago, let alone ten when I first signed up.

Like anything in life, what you get out of it will depend on what you put in. I recently spent a 2 week stint doing Reserves stuff for government shenanigans and as much as it wasn't all enjoyable (what job is) it also meant when we weren't doing work we were hanging out playing playstation with awesome mates, getting fit at the base gym, doing other training (some nifty, some not) and getting paid to do it. Worse ways to spend a fortnight.

There are other internet forums which are full of both current and retired ARA and ARES Soldiers who can give you all the info you need. Do some research, and when you come across said forums, ask intelligent questions.

Have fun, and best of luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back