Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Guy was a freak , was ahead of his time , brilliant in all facets of the game , his only downside was his short fuse , bought my first pair of white boots after he donned them , took a while to find them as they were not in stock at Rebel sports stores immediately, duffle coats throughout Vic Park with fabulous Phil as far as the eye could see. Glory days

Rebel Sports existed in Australia then?!

Guy was a freak , was ahead of his time , brilliant in all facets of the game , his only downside was his short fuse , bought my first pair of white boots after he donned them , took a while to find them as they were not in stock at Rebel sports stores immediately, duffle coats throughout Vic Park with fabulous Phil as far as the eye could see. Glory days

Guy Richards was a freak. Not sure if you would call him brilliant though.

Guy Richards was a freak. Not sure if you would call him brilliant though.
I remember one game at Vic Park , was standing in the pocket , station end , ball comes down for a marking contest just outside the goal square , Peter Moore was in front , Melbourne defender behind him , Carmen behind Melbourne defender , Carmen reaches around and pushes Moore in the back , umpire blows whistle , free kick Moore , Carmen pi$$ing himself laughing , pure genius , the mind was always ticking , at times to our detriment , and his , was all part of the theatre with him .

I’m pretty sure it was rebel sports. We had Sims sports store in Moonee Ponds arcade , not much variety back then
Maybe you are thinking of the ONLY place to go - MSD, Melbourne Sports Depot, in Elizabeth St. A wonderland of sporting equipment. Although Bat & Ball in Hardware Lane, had the edge in cricket.

Maybe you are thinking of the ONLY place to go - MSD, Melbourne Sports Depot, in Elizabeth St. A wonderland of sporting equipment. Although Bat & Ball in Hardware Lane, had the edge in cricket.
Yes , that’s the one .like been a kid in the candy store

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And The Compleat Angler in McKillop Street for fly fishing, yes.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
There is one in Little Collins now. Is that the one you mean? Up the stairs? I am no fly fisherman, but my best (and most expensive) light tackle comes from there. Possibly the only less likely destination for a tackle shop is Armadale Angling. Surrounded by wedding boutiques.

There is one in Little Collins now. Is that the one you mean? Up the stairs? I am no fly fisherman, but my best (and most expensive) light tackle comes from there. Possibly the only less likely destination for a tackle shop is Armadale Angling. Surrounded by wedding boutiques.

I’m not sure where it’s situated now, looking at Google apparently it’s Flinders Lane? But yes, it used to be McKillop Street coming in from Bourke, and it was the mecca.

Made me giggle. I might still be 12 years old.

giphy.gif

Not much on fly fishing. We used to import from BassPro in the US. Get your tackle delivered to your door in 7 days for way cheaper than Compleat Angler or similar. Didn’t mean that whenever you went to Melbourne you wouldn’t wander through CA, or devour the MoTackle catalogue when it arrived.

There was a gun shop out Brunswick we used to visit as well. The go-to place for good fishing rods and rod blanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back