Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think AJ is a defender, his mindset is to see ball fly for ball. It would take a huge adjustment and I'm not sure he has the tank for the running involved.
Yes he needs to learn the art of shepherding and not always flying for every ball. He’s cost us a goal in each game so far by touching a ball that would otherwise have been a goal. Don’t think he has much of a footy IQ unfortunately. Raw talent yes. But only when flying on confidence.

Last edited:

Have faith Murphy was a “delist” for many here at one time.

Not giving up on them. Just said they have a lot of work to do. I actually think it looked worse for Dean then Johnson. He lost his feet several times and didn't even bother jumping on a few other occasions.

Have faith Murphy was a “delist” for many here at one time.

Murph might've looked like a chook with it's head cut off at times but the intent/effort to impact the game was always there from day dot - possibly trying too hard. AJ is the opposite which is harder to envisage getting turned around. If he looked like he didn't mind getting his hands dirty I don't think he'd be copping much criticism at all. I hope he comes good because he'll be a ripper if he does.

If it needs to be said I condemn any personal/family/racist abuse being directed his way.

Last edited:
I don't think AJ is a defender, his mindset is to see ball fly for ball. It would take a huge adjustment and I'm not sure he has the tank for the running involved.
I’d start grooming him as an intercepting defender. Is still supremely talented and has the skill set to do well in that role. I’ve seen enough of him as a forward with us to believe it’s time to roll with a different mix

He’s got support around him at the moment after the hammering from all last week. The general consensus is that racism was present at the game and it was bad. Sydney and Collingwood involved.

Switching him to play defence only robs Peter to pay Paul. Maybe he could learn some more ruck craft but his priority should be on wellbeing first, then on developing forward craft.

Just watched a video on YouTube with some footage of Johnson and Dean. It's pretty damning tbh. Both have a lot of work to do.
Dean has only played a couple of games and Johnson is a fwd pocket not a full forward

They've been hung out to dry while the rest of the side has been awful but escaped criticism

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ash seems totally devoid of confidence, will get dropped this week, needs to go back and find his best footy.
Is it possible we are asking him to play a role he is not capable of?

Maybe Ash will only ever be a third tall forward?

Possible failure in the list?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Definitely a possibility but then the same could be said for a number of players on the cusp of selection each week

Doesn’t matter what role he has, he is dropping easy marks, his kicking has been s**t, his defence efforts have been worse.

Needs to start dominating the vfl if he wants another crack, or he’ll end up like Ginnivan but 8 years older.

He’s got support around him at the moment after the hammering from all last week. The general consensus is that racism was present at the game and it was bad. Sydney and Collingwood involved.

Switching him to play defence only robs Peter to pay Paul. Maybe he could learn some more ruck craft but his priority should be on wellbeing first, then on developing forward craft.
If that's the case they really need to put out a statement condemning it in the strongest possible terms, and reminding supporters to report racism to police/security/MCC at the ground immediately. There is no good reason to delay reporting it.

Who's going to replace him?

Fair to say he's had 2 shocking games and will definately be dropped to the VFL.
I hope the team is taking some notice and giving some slack to AJ.
Quite a few players will be glad the spotlight is directed away from them.

Sydney has us covered on every move and the game showed that - even more so watching the game live than watching the game on TV.

Maybe a positional move will give him confidence.

There was a forward playing under Mick Malthouse that was repositioned to the back line.
Said player told Mick that he had never played down there - was quite successful down there and played a substancial amount of his career down there.

If that's the case they really need to put out a statement condemning it in the strongest possible terms, and reminding supporters to report racism to police/security/MCC at the ground immediately. There is no good reason to delay reporting it.
Club is doing as much as they can but the sheer quantity was horrendous. Major wellbeing situation. Think the club wants to avoid fuelling the flames any more because of what's out there. A lot more at play than footy here. As fans, it's shameful to say the least.

Fly's presser said he was out to kill the noise; the media hasn't been writing too many articles on it for a reason; the AFL and Collingwood have issued no club or league statement.

Not expecting much from him in terms of footy at the moment and not expecting a huge game in the VFL this week if he plays.

Fair to say he's had 2 shocking games and will definately be dropped to the VFL.

Sydney has us covered on every move and the game showed that - even more so watching the game live than watching the game on TV.

There was a forward playing under Mick Malthouse that was repositioned to the back line.
Said player told Mick that he had never played down there - was quite successful down there and played a substancial amount of his career down there.
As much as I can understand why fans want him in defence, he won't play there. He's a forward, occasional ruck. AJ has other priorities than learning a new position at the moment.

Club is doing as much as they can but the sheer quantity was horrendous. Major wellbeing situation. Think the club wants to avoid fuelling the flames any more because of what's out there. A lot more at play than footy here. As fans, it's shameful to say the least.

If all of what you are posting is true, then this is horrendous.

Doesn’t matter what role he has, he is dropping easy marks, his kicking has been s**t, his defence efforts have been worse.

Needs to start dominating the vfl if he wants another crack, or he’ll end up like Ginnivan but 8 years older.
Particularly doesn't matter if his ideal role in our team is already taken by a ruck.

Ash seems totally devoid of confidence, will get dropped this week, needs to go back and find his best footy.

Needs one of these.

doctor who tardis GIF

Chris Tarrant or Leon Davis ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back