Coaching Staff Assistant Coaches 2017-18 - Dan Jordan (VFL coach) appointed to forward line - 12/11

Remove this Banner Ad

They copped a bit of flak for it being "not strategic enough" but im hoping its something they do more of.

The behind the goals vision breakdowns etc are some of the best footy content that is shown on the different footy shows. Unfortuantely you cant pick and choose when your club gets a segment and its quite often negative.
I don't have foxtel so my choice of football shows is unfortunately limited >_<

The special comments commentators could do that sort of stuff during games/breaks/after the game as well. Even before the game they could do it as something to look out for? I think Goddard was on the Sunday Footy Show a couple of weeks ago, right after the Sydney game and did a breakdown of something or other with Lyon, which was good. It was on Catch Up on the Essendon website :p

The more they do this sort of thing the better they'll get at it, though. Obviously needs to be something that the average mug can understand, but not so simple and obvious that you could've figured it out for yourself during the game. Even having Goddard do it was interesting, so they could get players or ex-players involved in that way (Cooney, or others transitioning into media).

I don't have foxtel so my choice of football shows is unfortunately limited >_<

The special comments commentators could do that sort of stuff during games/breaks/after the game as well. Even before the game they could do it as something to look out for? I think Goddard was on the Sunday Footy Show a couple of weeks ago, right after the Sydney game and did a breakdown of something or other with Lyon, which was good. It was on Catch Up on the Essendon website :p

The more they do this sort of thing the better they'll get at it, though. Obviously needs to be something that the average mug can understand, but not so simple and obvious that you could've figured it out for yourself during the game. Even having Goddard do it was interesting, so they could get players or ex-players involved in that way (Cooney, or others transitioning into media).

Yep that was footy classified.

AFL 360 is quite often good when they have the coaches on analysing something. They are naturally very guarded though.
As the clubs take more control of the content they put out and fan engagement we will be better for it.
Foxtel is pretty much mandatory i feel, the FTA stuff is horrendous in comparison.

AFL 360 is quite often good when they have the coaches on analysing something. They are naturally very guarded though.
As the clubs take more control of the content they put out and fan engagement we will be better for it.
Foxtel is pretty much mandatory i feel, the FTA stuff is horrendous in comparison.
I agree.

Yeah I love the catch up stuff we get a bit of on the essendon website :p I can't get Foxtel, not within my powers at the moment unfortunately :| you all will have to watch it for me and post stuff here instead haha

And another edition of Inside the Play with Rob Harding; this one features Zaka, Heppell, Bird and Myers and focuses on 'hard running'.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-07-19/inside-the-play-extra-numbers

Essendon's ability to move the ball from defence into attack was a key feature in the Bombers win over St Kilda.

The Dons used the ball at an efficiency rate of 79 per cent but when the ball was in dispute, the side also held the edge in contested possessions (135-120).

Game Intelligence and Opposition Strategy Coach Rob Harding takes a look at one play that showcases not only the Dons skill level, but also the ability of multiple players to run hard across the ground.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-07-19/inside-the-play-extra-numbers

Doesn't get mentioned but Green did some nice link up work also.
McGrath, Walla, Hurley, Green and a few others are involved yeah. They were mainly looking at the hard running though, for example Heppell starting from the back flank on the far side to the wing and forward flank on the near side.

McGrath, Walla, Hurley, Green and a few others are involved yeah. They were mainly looking at the hard running though, for example Heppell starting from the back flank on the far side to the wing and forward flank on the near side.
Greens only got short legs so that was hard running:)

I thought he was talking in general terms.

I will lose my s$%t if we get in some old dude that's ready for retirement. That was both Sheedy and Hirdy's signature and we are only just coming out of it now.

Some one on Bomberblitz claims that Essendon will offer Jarrad McViegh a 1 year playing contract with 3 years as a coach.

Some one on Bomberblitz claims that Essendon will offer Jarrad McViegh a 1 year playing contract with 3 years as a coach.
We have seen how much James Kelly has offered us in terms of leadership and teaching, im not against bringing him over if its only for one year and considering he has been their captain for years he could make a terrific addition as a young assistant coach. If it wasn't for the drugs issue we would have never entertained getting Kelly and now we are super grateful for him. All our good young small defenders are playing with Kelly anyway so its not like he will be taking a spot from a deserving youngster

Yeah wouldn't mind him as an assistant though.
I think we have made significant improvements in defence as well as our forwardline. The thing that continues to let us down is our midfield and if he could bring modern tactics to that then I hope they do offer him a role.

It's hard to measure just how effective Bluey McKenna has been but it doesn't appear to be getting any better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have seen how much James Kelly has offered us in terms of leadership and teaching, im not against bringing him over if its only for one year and considering he has been their captain for years he could make a terrific addition as a young assistant coach. If it wasn't for the drugs issue we would have never entertained getting Kelly and now we are super grateful for him. All our good young small defenders are playing with Kelly anyway so its not like he will be taking a spot from a deserving youngster
A coach would be fine but not as a player.

Can't have an older guy taking any more game time off Parish, McGrath or Langford. Next year they have to play significant minutes.

I think we have made significant improvements in defence as well as our forwardline. The thing that continues to let us down is our midfield and if he could bring modern tactics to that then I hope they do offer him a role.

It's hard to measure just how effective Bluey McKenna has been but it doesn't appear to be getting any better.

Find it odd that McKenna is our mid field coach he was a backman during his career and will probably have no idea on how a mid field works.

We need to start looking for guys coming out of the game to come in as assistants, learn as much as they can off Woosh and set them up to eventually take over. I don't want us to end up like Collingwood.

Would love Hodge to end up as our head coach seriously need to look at getting someone like that in ASAP. McVeigh has been bought up as a possible assistant in the trade thread. Hodge would be ideal. Especially for the melts, but he has pretty much already done an apprenticeship under the greatest coach ever.

Find it odd that McKenna is our mid field coach he was a backman during his career and will probably have no idea on how a mid field works.
Given he was a senior coach at AFL level and also the midfield coach at Collingwood before that I daresay he'd have some idea.

Looks like Skipworth gets the tick of approval up forward!

Sounds like open lines of communication, lots of talk about roles and hard work, but also that emphasis on enjoying your footy and having fun, which we've heard from Joe a lot as well, but it seems to be a Skipworth thing.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-08-03/separation-boosts-attack
Hayden Skipworth is the Performance Coach responsible for the guiding the development of the forward line.

Stewart said his mentor is able to provide a great balance between hard work, teaching and enjoyment.

“He’s been super for my development – I pop in nearly every day to speak to him,” Stewart said.

“I think we have really similar views on the game.

"The role I’m playing within the team is really clear.

“We’ve been improving and the way he’s teaching is really clear.

“It’s exciting and a fun group to be a part of – that’s Skippy’s mantra to really have fun and enjoy your footy, which I love.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-08-03/separation-boosts-attack

We need to start looking for guys coming out of the game to come in as assistants, learn as much as they can off Woosh and set them up to eventually take over. I don't want us to end up like Collingwood.

Would love Hodge to end up as our head coach seriously need to look at getting someone like that in ASAP. McVeigh has been bought up as a possible assistant in the trade thread. Hodge would be ideal. Especially for the melts, but he has pretty much already done an apprenticeship under the greatest coach ever.

Head says great appointment

Heart says * that flog!

So apparently Dean Soloman may come back to Essendon at the end of the year if he doesn't get the senior job for Gold Coast according to channel 7.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that would be complete idiocy? Hiring the defence coach of the worst defence in the league? It's as if we see "ESSENDON PERSON" and whether or not they're any good at their job becomes irrelevant.

So apparently Dean Soloman may come back to Essendon at the end of the year if he doesn't get the senior job for Gold Coast according to channel 7.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that would be complete idiocy? Hiring the defence coach of the worst defence in the league? It's as if we see "ESSENDON PERSON" and whether or not they're any good at their job becomes irrelevant.
A defensive coach that has been without Sam day (0 games), Rory thompson (7) and Kolodjashnij (11) for large chunks of the year with a midfield that has the defensive capabilities of a sieve.
Not saying it's a great idea, but the Gold Coast has proven not to be a standard case study in evaluating players and personnel.

Yeah, Dean Solomon is the reason they're coughing up goals

A defensive coach that has been without Sam day (0 games), Rory thompson (7) and Kolodjashnij (11) for large chunks of the year with a midfield that has the defensive capabilities of a sieve.
Not saying it's a great idea, but the Gold Coast has proven not to be a standard case study in evaluating players and personnel.
Yeah, Dean Solomon is the reason they're coughing up goals
Gold Coast have been ranked bottom 3 in goals/inside 50 every year since 2014, and have been every year apart from 2013. He's been in charge of their defence from the get go.

I will be furious if he's hired.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back