Unofficial Preview AtGi40D: Rounds 1-3

How will we go in Rounds 1-3 of the 2017 Season?

• R1: Melbourne Demons - we WIN

Votes: 88 91.7%
  • R1: Melbourne Demons - we LOSE

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • R2: West Coast Eagles - we WIN

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • R2: West Coast Eagles - we LOSE

Votes: 75 78.1%
  • R3: Brisbane Lions - we WIN

Votes: 95 99.0%
  • R3: Brisbane Lions - we LOSE

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Round two is a biggie for the Saints because if you can throw off the travel yips then you're really going places.

Okay, was that pun deliberate? Because of so, will played.

Okay, was that pun deliberate? Because of so, will played.
Not really but I'll take it.

Okay now is the person that voted Brisbane to win in round 3 planning on owning up and providing some kind of explanation because this I have to stick around for

. Round two is a biggie for the Saints because if you can throw off the travel yips then you're really going places.

At least our rnd 2 Travel yips are 3417km to Perth.
You guys have gotta get over your 5km yips from the MCG to Etihad in rnd 1:p

Persevering Saint how often will these be posted? Every 3-5 days? Really interested to see how the rest of the tips go given we we've been pretty accurate in the past.

Persevering Saint how often will these be posted? Every 3-5 days? Really interested to see how the rest of the tips go given we we've been pretty accurate in the past.
I'm going with about 3 games every 4-5 days - just so occasional off-season posters still get a bit of time to vote. That should take us about 30ish days... But knowing me, I might get delayed at points, hence me cutting myself some slack and saying 40 days. At any rate, ideally it'll be finished by the intraclub, or at the latest the first NAB.

will lycett be fit enough?
Oh boy, if Lycett AND Naitanui are unavailable, then the Eagles will have to go with either Giles or (ooh...) Vardy. That would give us a massive advantage in the clearances, as Hickey should be able to take either of those quite easily.

What do we think of the Eagles midfield versus is this year, especially in terms of onballers? Priddis and Mitchell are a big challenge, certainly. But after that (and Gaff on the outside), it doesn't exactly strike me with terror.

Oh boy, if Lycett AND Naitanui are unavailable, then the Eagles will have to go with either Giles or (ooh...) Vardy. That would give us a massive advantage in the clearances, as Hickey should be able to take either of those quite easily.

What do we think of the Eagles midfield versus is this year, especially in terms of onballers? Priddis and Mitchell are a big challenge, certainly. But after that (and Gaff on the outside), it doesn't exactly strike me with terror.
I think Newnes and Gaff will cancel each other out - I've got big hopes on Newnesy this year, think he can be an AA wingman.

they really missed sheed! with him back it should be an interesting battle

Hey.

Even though I'm not really at a point of 50/50 on the suspect likelihood or otherwise, who is up for an avatar bet with me on the result? I'm feeling kamikaze.

If Saints win I can wear an avatar of your choice (of an image within bigfooty permissible boundaries - I have become a beginner mod in the last few minutes and I don't know what I'm doing but I suspect upholding standards of decency plays a part) for exactly 7 days.

If demons win any of you that volunteers wears an avatar of my choice for 7 days - not sure of what yet but I suspect it might be Max Gawn wearing a Jesse Hogan fan t-shirt.

I'd say your odds are decent. Who is going to take the plunge?

Hey.

Even though I'm not really at a point of 50/50 on the suspect likelihood or otherwise, who is up for an avatar bet with me on the result? I'm feeling kamikaze.

If Saints win I can wear an avatar of your choice (of an image within bigfooty permissible boundaries - I have become a beginner mod in the last few minutes and I don't know what I'm doing but I suspect upholding standards of decency plays a part) for exactly 7 days.

If demons win any of you that volunteers wears an avatar of my choice for 7 days - not sure of what yet but I suspect it might be Max Gawn wearing a Jesse Hogan fan t-shirt.

You must really hate your avatar to keep doing this to yourself. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey.

I'm in mate. I'm gonna have to come up with some avatar ideas.

You must really hate your avatar to keep doing this to yourself. :p
Not at all. I've warmed to it now and people get pretty confused when I wear a new face. The week I spent in 2016 as the rear view and arm of Blake Acres was pretty confusing. On the one hand posters were like "WTF" but on the other hand there were a few that glanced briefly and thought I was an entirely new person - so I got a second go at old arguments but adding a new voice. It was strangely liberating.

Having said that I'm actually hoping to win this. My record is woeful.

Not at all. I've warmed to it now and people get pretty confused when I wear a new face. The week I spent in 2016 as the rear view and arm of Blake Acres was pretty confusing. On the one hand posters were like "WTF" but on the other hand there were a few that glanced briefly and thought I was an entirely new person - so I got a second go at old arguments but adding a new voice. It was strangely liberating.

Prominent posters changing their avatars after a long time will always do this. Sometimes I have to have a second glance to check out who a new poster is only to realise they've got 20k posts. I guess it makes sense with the avatar being the most eye-catching part of the sidebar.

Speaking of I probably need to get my Armo avatar back on...

Prominent posters changing their avatars after a long time will always do this. Sometimes I have to have a second glance to check out who a new poster is only to realise they've got 20k posts. I guess it makes sense with the avatar being the most eye-catching part of the sidebar.

Speaking of I probably need to get my Armo avatar back on...
Pft, that's ridiculous. I don't believe it for a second.

Eagles have confirmed Lycett won't be back until around round 6. No nic nat either.

That leaves them with Giles, Petrie, Vardy. The latter two being more fwd than ruck with age and injury concerns.
They won last time really on the back of merciless clearance work at the centre. Their mids just gobbled it up time after time, and then got it down to their forwards before our backs could set up properly. If we can win or break even in the middle, then we're a lot closer to winning this one. Hickey becomes a huge factor in this game, now.

I'm not sure it's enough to make any of us want to switch to a win... but it makes it seem less likely to be a 100 point thrashing again, that's for sure.

I also have to think that the Doggies showed in the finals last year that the Eagles are not as invulnerable at home as they used to be.

They won last time really on the back of merciless clearance work at the centre. Their mids just gobbled it up time after time, and then got it down to their forwards before our backs could set up properly. If we can win or break even in the middle, then we're a lot closer to winning this one. Hickey becomes a huge factor in this game, now.

I'm not sure it's enough to make any of us want to switch to a win... but it makes it seem less likely to be a 100 point thrashing again, that's for sure.

I also have to think that the Doggies showed in the finals last year that the Eagles are not as invulnerable at home as they used to be.
Spot on mate! The manic pressure they used to have has dropped off too along with their ball use.

I think we are a real shot of beating them

Spot on mate! The manic pressure they used to have has dropped off too along with their ball use.

I think we are a real shot of beating them
Oooh...

The implications of actually beating the Eagles in Perth are fascinating. It would set us up beautifully for the season, and make a lot of other fancied opponents feel a bit more nervous playing us. It would be awesome for memberships, you'd assume. It'd be an amazing way to lose all the baggage from last year's horror interstate run, setting us up well for our other interstate games.

Yum.

Round 1 - If Melbourne can't beat us with Hogan kicking 7 how are they going to beat us when Brown and Carlisle hold him to 1 - win

Round 2 - West coast in Perth - both teams have a 6 day break and WC are also travelling back from Melbourne - 50/50

Round 3 - v Brions - 12+ goal win

Back