Attractive footballers????

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think when it comes to things like commenting on the attractiveness of the women players vs male players etc, context is really required.

Men have been playing in the AFL for over a century, whereas women have had a home there for one weekend so far. This is the first time ever that women have had an elite league on a national stage to compete in. For the first time, women now have a place in the sport at the elite level besides being an occasional commentator or an interviewer. We should be primarily lauding them for being trailblazers, chosen as the first women ever to represent a new league because of their skills and dedication. The fact that some, or many, of them also happen to be attractive young women is irrelevant in that context.

There's never anything wrong with finding someone attractive, but there are times when it is inappropriate to comment on it. This is the time to celebrate these women for being pioneers due to their athleticism and skill and hard work. Comments about their attractiveness should probably be secondary, if they need to be made at all.

Go back over how you responded to Jenny. You said you won't listen to women unless they started dressing in a different way. That's incredibly offensive. We are not worthy of you listening to us unless we look a way that YOU deem acceptable. When women are fired from jobs because they refused to wear high heels, that's okay?

Also remember what you said on the cast on Tuesday night. I was incredibly offended at the time while you thought it was funny comment, I most definitely did not. I was stunned and resorted back to what women are trained to do almost from birth, be quiet, don't rock the boat, let it go.

Yes, we can and do find people attractive, but there is a societal equation that women are judged more on their looks as a quality of if they are able to do a job or not. That's the issue you are not understanding.
Sounds like you have personal issues you need to address.

I think when it comes to things like commenting on the attractiveness of the women players vs male players etc, context is really required.

Men have been playing in the AFL for over a century, whereas women have had a home there for one weekend so far. This is the first time ever that women have had an elite league on a national stage to compete in. For the first time, women now have a place in the sport at the elite level besides being an occasional commentator or an interviewer. We should be primarily lauding them for being trailblazers, chosen as the first women ever to represent a new league because of their skills and dedication. The fact that some, or many, of them also happen to be attractive young women is irrelevant in that context.

There's never anything wrong with finding someone attractive, but there are times when it is inappropriate to comment on it. This is the time to celebrate these women for being pioneers due to their athleticism and skill and hard work. Comments about their attractiveness should probably be secondary, if they need to be made at all.
As long as people aren't going out of their way to be offensive I don't see why others should tell them what they can and can't comment on. Would be a pretty boring board if we went down that road.

As long as people aren't going out of their way to be offensive I don't see why others should tell them what they can and can't comment on. Would be a pretty boring board if we went down that road.

There are differences of opinion and not agreeing on things. Then there is stating that unless a gender changes the way they present themselves they won't be listened to. That's not on.

There are differences of opinion and not agreeing on things. Then there is stating that unless a gender changes the way they present themselves they won't be listened to. That's not on.
That's not on, I agree. But you can't lump that comment together with fairly benign statements like "I found player x attractive", which is what seems to be happening to an extent.

Point was made the other day, that with the men (Motlop example) that we see a photo & social media goes into meltdown about "he's been in a good paddock" over summer and the shame of an AFL footballer returning to PS training in that condition .....now what will happen similarly with a women player? ......will the same standards apply, that women desire, or will there be counter accusations of bullying or sexism??

That's not on, I agree. But you can't lump that comment together with fairly benign statements like "I found player x attractive", which is what seems to be happening to an extent.

The conversation about this started when a list of what someone liked about the women's game was put up and the second point was all about the attractiveness. Move that further down the list and it would have been acceptable, but it was put ahead of other attributes that make football, football. The general response to that was then but, but women do it to. *headdesk*

The conversation about this started when a list of what someone liked about the women's game was put up and the second point was all about the attractiveness. Move that further down the list and it would have been acceptable, but it was put ahead of other attributes that make football, football. The general response to that was then but, but women do it to. *headdesk*
Ok but don't be a hypocrite ......what about womens sport (volleyball example) where women have sported attire to capitalize on the female form to attract audiences

So i guess the outrage is only when it suits

For some people that's what's important in sport though. I know people who support AFL clubs in different states because a player back in the 90s was a "hunk".
As much as you and I may not agree with them, we can't tell them what is more important on their own hierachy. That sort of thinking is what got Trump elected in the US.

In regards to the comments on any attraction towards the sexes I would like to put my 5 cents worth.

I have had to put up with "oh he is cute" or "he has a cute bum" to loads of things from my wife and eldest daughter for years.

My 13 year old daughter was commenting on how pretty the girls were. This was more around affirming that it was not just those who look like tom boys play this game. I found the topic interesting from her perspective.

My 16 year old son said a few things, but nowhere near as bad as my wife or oldest daughter. In fact his was similar to the 13 year old commenting on how many of the girls out there were attractive but not specifically about one individually.

I am unsure it is possible to pretend that sometimes we like the look of someone. It does not mean we demean or wolf whistle them....but let's also not make a mountain out of a molehill either.

I

My 13 year old daughter was commenting on how pretty the girls were. This was more around affirming that it was not just those who look like tom boys play this game. I found the topic interesting from her perspective.

IMHO this is important .....due to the various social reasons why so many girls drop out of sport and fitness (yes boys do as well) ....if young girls are seeing a variety of women playing AFLW with a variety of physical shapes, that to me is fantastic !

Two things.
  1. It's unrealistic to expect anyone to block out thoughts of whether players are attractive while watching sports. Regardless of whether it's men/women watching women's/men's sports
  2. There are very few (if any) people watching AFLW for the primary or only reason that some players are attractive. If someone wants to view attractive women, the internet makes that very easy; there's no point watching AFLW for that reason. Most people are watching AFLW for the game itself; the attractiveness of some players is, as with the men's AFL, a bonus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In regards to the comments on any attraction towards the sexes I would like to put my 5 cents worth.

I have had to put up with "oh he is cute" or "he has a cute bum" to loads of things from my wife and eldest daughter for years.

My 16 year old son said a few things, but nowhere near as bad as my wife or oldest daughter. In fact his was similar to the 13 year old commenting on how many of the girls out there were attractive but not specifically about one individually.

I am unsure it is possible to pretend that sometimes we like the look of someone. It does not mean we demean or wolf whistle them....but let's also not make a mountain out of a molehill either.

And that's the point bovo that many are missing. It's when the attractiveness is put up or near the top as the main reason to admire women regardless of their abilities or even in spite of their abilities. There is a historical issue (and unfortunately still current) around women on this that we are finally pointing out and saying c'mon that's not on.

Did I hear that one of the GWS players was playing lingerie league football in the US? Puts this discussion into perspective!

In Australia. They tried to get it up and going in SA and I know of a few players here who signed up for it because they were going to get paid to play.

Either the nurses are putting something in my coffee or I am getting old but not once did I think of attractiveness v athleticism. I was so focused on the game of football I didn't give it a thought.

Not until I saw the comments here.

Two things.
  1. It's unrealistic to expect anyone to block out thoughts of whether players are attractive while watching sports. Regardless of whether it's men/women watching women's/men's sports
  2. There are very few (if any) people watching AFLW for the primary or only reason that some players are attractive. If someone wants to view attractive women, the internet makes that very easy; there's no point watching AFLW for that reason. Most people are watching AFLW for the game itself; the attractiveness of some players is, as with the men's AFL, a bonus.
Given the 'sexualisation' of other women's sport ( tennis in past comes to mind ) where females that were adequate at the sport but good looking got most attention, endorsements etc I can understand some of the females perspectives . Seems like the world is growing out of this phase even though Trump will take us back if he could

But as this is a footy lovers site and I wouldn't be worried about people on here , they love their footy

Personally I'd prefer to get my 'kicks' in other ways than watching female football and I don't think the girls have much to be worried about - the football will do the talking and they will be respected first and foremost for that

Re Perkins - I'd prefer to have her kicking for my life from 40m than Dmac

Either the nurses are putting something in my coffee or I am getting old but not once did I think of attractiveness v athleticism. I was so focused on the game of football I didn't give it a thought.

Not until I saw the comments here.
I was a bit the same but I've been saying for a while that I might need to go to the endocrinologist

Ok but don't be a hypocrite ......what about womens sport (volleyball example) where women have sported attire to capitalize on the female form to attract audiences

So i guess the outrage is only when it suits

Who set those rules about the female beach volleyball outfits? Was it the women players themselves or the governance body (Fédération Internationale de Volleyball)? Which if you look at the current Executive Committee, there are only three females on it out of 17 members.

I can answer this for you. It was decided in 1999 from the FIVB that swimming costumes had to be worn for both men and women, which meant board shorts for men and bikini or one-piece swimsuit for women. So it wasn't the women's decision and there has been outrage about it since.

This is ridiculous Nikki. Like when Steve Martin was harassed after tweeting that he thought Carrie Fisher was attractive.

This is ridiculous Nikki. Like when Steve Martin was harassed after tweeting that he thought Carrie Fisher was attractive.

I'm with you about the Steve Martin one. That was just... ugh. I knew what he was expressing and it was on twitter where you have a limited amount of words to do that in. I thought it was a lovely tribute to Carrie.

And that's the point bovo that many are missing. It's when the attractiveness is put up or near the top as the main reason to admire women regardless of their abilities or even in spite of their abilities. ...

I don't know that deaneus' post (#280) ranked the listed points - could argue that the last point was the most important given how much deaneus went into it.

Who set those rules about the female beach volleyball outfits? Was it the women players themselves or the governance body (Fédération Internationale de Volleyball)? Which if you look at the current Executive Committee, there are only three females on it out of 17 members.

I can answer this for you. It was decided in 1999 from the FIVB that swimming costumes had to be worn for both men and women, which meant board shorts for men and bikini or one-piece swimsuit for women. So it wasn't the women's decision and there has been outrage about it since.
Am i wrong here ? ......IIRC i thought at some point in the Volleyball that the Bikini was the mandated costume and the one piece became a non-option? ....i'll stand to be corrected? ........but surely people always have a decision to agree

upload_2017-2-5_11-42-9.jpeg
The discrepancies between men's and women's beach volleyball uniforms are hard not to notice, given that women usually compete in bikinis and men play in tank tops and shorts. ... “The athletes are allowed to wear long sleeves, they're allowed to wear shorts, tank tops,” Calabro said.Aug 12, 2016

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/wom...s-men-uniform-guidelines-kerri-walsh-jennings

See my last post .....actually it is the players decision now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back