Review Autopsy Thread - Dogs v GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Stringer's dropped Mark was just one of many errors - Gia probably tired in the legs like Stringer made late mistakes also

For what it's worth, except for that late missed mark, I thought Stringer played pretty darn well.

It wouldnt surprise me if he's the KPF the Doggies have been looking for.

I have cooked down a lot now, here are some more observations

1. There is a serious cultural divide in this side. It comes from the huge hole in the middle of the list as far as games played and it is blatantly obvious that some of the senior guys don't get along with the junior guys and vice versa
  2. We are still carrying too many veterans. Yes we don't want to go all Melbourne and dump the lot and have no experience however Gia should not have played on this year. Yes he "won" us the game against the tigers and did well as the sub but I have real concerns about playing someone in the team who is not going to be part of the future. If he wanted to be a coach, then retire and coach, don't take a spot of a young player
  3. Austin cannot possibly play for us next year
  4. We have a lot of downhill skiers in our team, particularly the older guys who clearly have not bought into the Macca plan and when things get tough, revert back to what they know from the Wallace/Eade era
  5. The amount of times we get done over on the fast break or the kick over the back is embarrassing. I do not understand why we don't keep someone at home. Once the ball goes over the top, our guys back there are too slow to catch their opponents who run it into any easy goal
  6. Macca better have a good explanation as to why he is leaving Jones and Talia out. If it isn't development, and they both walk then I for one will be mighty disappointed
  7. I find it hard for anyone to say we had an easier draw this year when clearly GWS, GC both improved as expected. No draw is easy and it will stay that way until the draw is fair and not reliant on $ rather than equality
I probably have more to say, but will leave it at that for now

Many players up the ground refuse to run into space, but rather just stand back and wait for someone else to do it.
Perhaps this is by coaching design rather than a lack of player effort, but I feel like it causes just as many, if not more turnovers than general skill errors.
Then there are the times when multiple players run to the same space so that no-one can get the next pass. To me, that is a coaching issue and it has not been addressed for years.

For what it's worth, except for that late missed mark, I thought Stringer played pretty darn well.

It wouldnt surprise me if he's the KPF the Doggies have been looking for.
Except he's 191cm tall, and is just as much of a natural midfielder as he is a natural forward.
If he was an inch or so taller than maybe you could justify him being an undersized key forward, but he's and undersized undersized key forward.
Him and Crameri have been forced to play much taller than they actually are this season.

There is a serious cultural divide in this side. It comes from the huge hole in the middle of the list as far as games played and it is blatantly obvious that some of the senior guys don't get along with the junior guys and vice versa
What makes you say this? Just asking because I live interstate and don't get to many games so if there's stuff happening on the ground that I'm missing to indicate some sort of rift, I'm keen to hear it.

What makes you say this? Just asking because I live interstate and don't get to many games so if there's stuff happening on the ground that I'm missing to indicate some sort of rift, I'm keen to hear it.

It's just a feeling I get when I watch the games. There are definite cliques and I'm sure they exist at other clubs too.
Yesterday it was to my eyes very noticeable when players kicked goals who went to them and the level of celebrations. There is something not right and there are some noses out of joint which will be to the detriment of our team going forward

Except he's 191cm tall, and is just as much of a natural midfielder as he is a natural forward.
If he was an inch or so taller than maybe you could justify him being an undersized key forward, but he's and undersized undersized key forward.
Him and Crameri have been forced to play much taller than they actually are this season.

Thats a cm shorter than Matthew Lloyd, and the same height as Jack Darling, who Weagles supporters seem to like a lot. In addition, Jack Reidwolt has never been feared for his height.

Griff got the highest player rating for the week, moved up to number 5 on the ratings and had the 14th best ratings game of all time on the weekend.

Thats a cm shorter than Matthew Lloyd, and the same height as Jack Darling, who Weagles supporters seem to like a lot. In addition, Jack Reidwolt has never been feared for his height.
Darling's had Kennedy and a resting ruckman for the entire year though. And footy's changed, players are taller full stop. But I get your point. I just reckon he's a little undersized to ever be a KPF but he can me an almighty 3rd forward or midfielder.

I just want to say that Macrae gave me the shits big time this game and i can see why Macca dropped him. Kid will be a gun but he has no dfensive side and doesn't help the defenders out. There was one peice of play where GWS were breaking away on the wing with no one forward of them and Macrae was the nearest player and barely managed a jog, Higgins who was about 50m away ran at full speed to cover the player and when he got within 20m Macrae just stopped to a walk while GWS scored an easy goal but at least someone like Higgins tried to put some pressure on.
Cameron set Bugg onto Macrae to do a Cross like job on him, not as successful but did well to limit the creativeness of one of our most important set up players.

Sorry I didn't realise playing GWS in a dead timeslot in the last game of the year was a big game. Silly me.
...but it was traditional rivals! The battle of the Western Suburbs! Yer, right, lol! :rolleyes:

Dream on for that one AFL - there's only about 10 GWS fans at the game (who barely managed to raise a titter when they scored - when the ball was down the other end you could only tell they'd goaled when there was total silence!) And the rest of us don't give two hoots about GWS (apart from the favoritism given to them as a manufactured side the AFL want to be successful).

Are they really that slow or just lacking determination and focus, accountability.?
My friend who sat at the game with me bemoaned the easy running goals too. On one occassion he said, here we go again. I said wont happen because Stevens was chasing and making ground. It did nt happen. If a GWS player had a 5 meter break on Higgins, young, Hrovat, Gia they were clearly under instructions to keep running the length of the ground. It worked for them a treat. Add Minson and Campbell and we were sitting ducks for that play all day long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just want to say that Macrae gave me the shits big time this game and i can see why Macca dropped him. Kid will be a gun but he has no dfensive side and doesn't help the defenders out. There was one peice of play where GWS were breaking away on the wing with no one forward of them and Macrae was the nearest player and barely managed a jog, Higgins who was about 50m away ran at full speed to cover the player and when he got within 20m Macrae just stopped to a walk while GWS scored an easy goal but at least someone like Higgins tried to put some pressure on.

Loved Stringers game. Sure if he marked it we would have won. But i hope he puts it behind him and moves on. He and Crameri combined well today.
Griff and Libba were awesome.

Also you can see the love Murph and Gia have for each other. During the Melee a GWS player is all over Murphy and out of nowhere Gia just comes in and grabs the guy off Murph. Brought a smile to my face.

As disapointing as this year has been i think we can turn it around quickly if we recruit smartly.
If higgins really tried then he has lost awarding pace

I'm not sure it really matters though, he's kicked 22 goals in 9 games since returning from the VFL and playing forward. Thats as a 2nd year player with a low fitness base in our horribly dysfunctional forward line. Maybe a bit small but he's fantastic on the lead, a great set shot, fantastic at ground level, kicks goals from anywhere, runs to the right spots and finds space, offers a heap of defensive pressure, is strong enough to go with any key defender, is faster than most of them and has now really started to take some big marks at this level. What more can you want in a key forward? If he can do all this why does it matter he's not 3-5cm taller (just think about how much that really is, its smaller than your finger).

I've always been in the camp of him becoming a full time midfielder who rests forward but I'm starting to think he will be better used as a KPF who can go for bursts of 5-10mins a quarter in the guts. Bonts the opposite (unless we do want him to become a genuine CHF because I could see that).

Ideally we put a bigger, pack marking forward next to him (who gets the number 1 defender by default) which lets Stringer stay down in the marking contests, where he is just sooooo deadly at ground level.

Did anyone else notice that Dahl went up for 3 or 4 pack marks against our own bigger blokes and then watch the opposition take the ball away from the spillage? I think someone may need to remind him of his role over the summer!
Classic meaningless last game behaviour. Still poor though to be honest

I'm not sure it really matters though, he's kicked 22 goals in 9 games since returning from the VFL and playing forward. Thats as a 2nd year player with a low fitness base in our horribly dysfunctional forward line. Maybe a bit small but he's fantastic on the lead, a great set shot, fantastic at ground level, kicks goals from anywhere, runs to the right spots and finds space, offers a heap of defensive pressure, is strong enough to go with any key defender, is faster than most of them and has now really started to take some big marks at this level. What more can you want in a key forward? If he can do all this why does it matter he's not 3-5cm taller (just think about how much that really is, its smaller than your finger).

I've always been in the camp of him becoming a full time midfielder who rests forward but I'm starting to think he will be better used as a KPF who can go for bursts of 5-10mins a quarter in the guts. Bonts the opposite (unless we do want him to become a genuine CHF because I could see that).

Ideally we put a bigger, pack marking forward next to him (who gets the number 1 defender by default) which lets Stringer stay down in the marking contests, where he is just sooooo deadly at ground level.
There was one time when we had the ball just outside 50 and I was thinking 'Jake stay in the square' but he ran to about 25 out and it went straight to him :) His efforts were among the few highlights of the day and hope he isn't down on himself for that missed mark.

There was one time when we had the ball just outside 50 and I was thinking 'Jake stay in the square' but he ran to about 25 out and it went straight to him :) His efforts were among the few highlights of the day and hope he isn't down on himself for that missed mark.
His efforts were some of the only highlights over the last 5 weeks ....

You've summed the boy up beautifully actually sounds like you're describing Jason Dunstall. ;) :thumbsu:

Nick riewoldt 193cm. Jake stringer 192cm

Enjoying this IM. The skills I am talking about are skills executed under no pressure that cost us goals and our inability to kick goals from set shots, in range. I know what you are saying. We should have won, but for different reasons. That said, we have to work harder, agree. But it's not that far off.
It may sound weird but there are some posters where my eyes light up when I disagree with them. As I know I'm going to have a good discussion, will have to refine my opinion and probably will learn much in the process. You are comfortably among that company TK.

I too get what you're saying. I think the difference may lay in where we rate GWS. In my case I feel they are a bunch of high draft picks who weren't worth their places and it irks me that I saw them out run our quality kids.
Either way I think we can agree that fitness is a priority in the pre-season.

Nick riewoldt 193cm. Jake stringer 192cm
Riewoldt's only 193cm? You could have fooled me. Anyway, they're completely different players. Nick relies on his tank to outrun his opponent and fatigue them and lead up at the ball, Stringer also leads up at the ball, but a lot of the time he utilises his burst speed and power to get the ball or get through a couple of players.

It's just a feeling I get when I watch the games. There are definite cliques and I'm sure they exist at other clubs too.
Yesterday it was to my eyes very noticeable when players kicked goals who went to them and the level of celebrations. There is something not right and there are some noses out of joint which will be to the detriment of our team going forward
You've got some pretty serious assertions being made just on feelings....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back