Southern Urchins

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2007
Kirkdale - England
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
That scum bag Debs... would be good if they solved that murder. I remember reading a book about the Silk Miller murders and the police watching Debs were amazed at his thieving lifestyle. They said they watched him just steal anything not nailed down if he had the chance.

Feel for the parents of Sarah. It would at least be some sort of closure for them.

I went to the county court one day to meet a mate about an IT job that was going there. He was former Defence Force too and worked for a sitting judge so I was fairly confident if I made a good impression I'd be sweet. Suited up, the works which to my surprise was massively overdressed for court...that still surprises me.

Anyway, he invited me to sit in the courtroom and listen to the case until it adjourned for lunch. After walking through the metal detectors with the Williams clan (Carl on trial post Gangland war) and being freaked out by that, I ended up sitting in a court room upstairs with none other than Debs who was on trial for killing Kristy Harty.

I'll never forget listening to just 15 minutes of evidence before I had to leave the room and wait outside in disgust. They were arguing about the semen found on the poor girls underwear and her parents were sitting in the front row of the court crying their eyes out. The defence was holding up her panties in an exhibit bag and making his argument. And behind the glass was Ben Debs looking like he didn't give a s**t. At one point the mother turned around and said "You monster, you did this to my baby". Debs just smirked and blew her a kiss. To this day I get chills when I see Debs because of his reaction. One cold mofo!

There was a book about Silk/Miller that included a CD with wire tapes from Debs house. In one Debs talks about ''If you put the rod in the mouth and blew her brains away, when you put the rod in their mouth and close their mouth there's no noise … I've seen it. I've done it.'', I believe he was referring to killing Kirsty Harty and bragging to Roberts, who was dating Debs daughter! Very lucky that DNA got him for Kristy Harty, but no doubt that there will be others. This guy is a psychopath.

I wonder if anything will come of Roberts claiming he is innocent in the silk miller murder. Was front page of the herald last month. Reckons he has someone who can vouch for his where abouts that night. And unfortunately looks like debs might have more victims. Scum of the earth

There was a book about Silk/Miller that included a CD with wire tapes from Debs house. In one Debs talks about ''If you put the rod in the mouth and blew her brains away, when you put the rod in their mouth and close their mouth there's no noise … I've seen it. I've done it.'', I believe he was referring to killing Kirsty Harty and bragging to Roberts, who was dating Debs daughter! Very lucky that DNA got him for Kristy Harty, but no doubt that there will be others. This guy is a psychopath.

yeah i read that book and listened to the CD's..they are all the LD's from yeah the house and I believe the car maybe also. Super police work.

Silk-Miller bombshell: IBAC launches probe into murder investigation
February 22, 2016 11:27pm
ANTHONY DOWSLEY, MARK BUTTLERHerald Sun

c15a85921ac86903954e2d6393f1fc74

Police guard of honour at the funeral of Senior Constable Rodney Miller in 1998.

VICTORIA’S corruption watchdog is investigating police conduct leading up to the conviction of Jason Roberts for the 1998 shooting murders of police officers Sergeant Gary Silk and Senior Constable Rod Miller.

The Herald Sun can reveal that investigators from the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission have conducted a secret probe into the conduct of at least four police officers who were attached to the Taskforce Lorimer murder probe.

A major part of the investigation is believed to centre on the changing of a police statement that is said to have cemented the prosecution case that two gunmen were in a Hyundai the two officers stopped in Cochranes Rd, Moorabbin, on August 16, 1998.

b5ac89d658405113b574f8b1a0de3924

Bandali Debs and Jason Roberts.
This contradicts the evidence of an eyewitness who drove by as the shootings occurred, who told Lorimer investigators she saw only one man beside the Hyundai.

The Lorimer investigation ran for over two years and identified Bandali Debs and his daughter’s boyfriend, Roberts, as the culprits.

v1

Lawyers for Roberts, who has always maintained his innocence, are preparing to submit a petition to Attorney-General Martin Pakula to reopen the case.

Evidence has also emerged casting doubt on Roberts’ involvement. It includes witness statements and the interpretation of material from listening devices, telephone intercepts and new information from Roberts himself, who denied being at the scene.

09b92c599a97f4addc714f312fce4f1c

Sergeant Gary Silk.
1f12799403dd5e939c21ad4274e64687

Senior Constable Rodney Miller.
Roberts was the subject of a homicide re-examination of his case almost three years ago, findings of which were not made public.

SPECIAL REPORT: Debs, the Satan of suburbia

Roberts was interviewed and police travelled to NSW to interview Debs over several days. Other witnesses, including Lorimer police, were also interviewed.

Lawyers for Roberts, who along with Debs is serving a life sentence for the murders, have been working for several years on what they argue are shortcomings in the evidence against him.

Prosecutor Jeremy Rapke, QC, put it to the Supreme Court trial jury that Roberts was hidden in the car and shot Sgt Silk, who was checking the passenger side registration.

The Herald Sun understands the forensic evidence of the sequence of shots is consistent with there being only a single gunman.

It is likely to be put to the Attorney-General that Debs alone shot both policemen, shooting Sen-Constable Miller before walking around the Hyundai and killing Sgt Silk, and that he then exchanged shots with Sen-Constable Miller before using a second gun to shoot Silk again.

Debs, of whose guilt there is no doubt, has refused to shed any light on what happened that night.

Police have been told that he had promised to confess and exonerate Roberts if both of them were convicted.

Roberts has spent 17 years in jail and is in a maximum-security prison.

An IBAC spokesman said: “For legal and operational reasons we cannot comment.”

Victoria Police said that it was unaware of the IBAC investigation.

anthony.dowsley@news.com.au

@AnthonyDowsley

Debs, of whose guilt there is no doubt, has refused to shed any light on what happened that night.

Police have been told that he had promised to confess and exonerate Roberts if both of them were convicted.

Roberts has spent 17 years in jail and is in a maximum-security prison.

Debs sounds like Dank, I have info to clear the players but I'm not going to give evidence. 17 years is pretty brutal if Debs is sitting on info that could clear him.

Debs sounds like Dank, I have info to clear the players but I'm not going to give evidence. 17 years is pretty brutal if Debs is sitting on info that could clear him.

Roberts hasn't denied his involvement in the armed robberies though. Id like to know what this 'fresh alibi' evidence Roberts has for his whereabouts that night .

Roberts was like 17/18 at the time...real bad luck for him getting caught up with a s**t bag like Debs at such an impressionable/vulnerable age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roberts was like 17/18 at the time...real bad luck for him getting caught up with a s**t bag like Debs at such an impressionable/vulnerable age.

He was a bit older than that. Certainly old enough to know better. If Debs had been unable to find such an enthusiastic and willing accomplice to commit another string of armed robberies (he'd done a bunch with another accomplice a few years previously - a nephew from memory - who'd been spooked off after a close call), he probably wouldn't have done them on his own and the murders would have never happened.

I remember reading that the phone taps contained recordings of Roberts urging Debs to commit more robberies when Debs wanted to let the heat cool off. He doesn't exactly seem like a babe in the woods.

Debs and Roberts were / are both in the same mainstream unit in Barwon and there was never any animosity that I saw. They didn't appear to be particularly close, but not enemies either.

He was a bit older than that. Certainly old enough to know better. If Debs had been unable to find such an enthusiastic and willing accomplice to commit another string of armed robberies (he'd done a bunch with another accomplice a few years previously - a nephew from memory - who'd been spooked off after a close call), he probably wouldn't have done them on his own and the murders would have never happened.

I remember reading that the phone taps contained recordings of Roberts urging Debs to commit more robberies when Debs wanted to let the heat cool off. He doesn't exactly seem like a babe in the woods.

yeah fair point but after reading the books it certainly seemed like Bendali groomed him.

Yeah, f*** him

Not defending what he did for a minute so yeah I tend to agree with you.

You make your own luck.

Very true. But I do believe he didn't happen to get involved with Bendali there is a huge chance he wouldn't be where he is today.

Just watched the underbelly movie about Silk Miller murders. Thought they rushed the ending ... Wonder where the case would have been if Debs didn't get that replacement rear window for the Hyundai. Pretty dumb really. Case could of went on for many years.

Last edited:
I found it strange that the witnesses who saw the male standing next to the Hyundai described him as being of similar appeaance to Roberts wheras the case theory of the prosecution was that it was Debs who 'alighted from the vehicle and stood at the driver's door'.

Senior Constable Frank Bendeich said he was with with fellow officer Darren Sherren when they observed Silk and Miller talking to the driver of a car they had pulled over.

Senior Constable Frank Bendeich described the driver as being of medium build and having shoulder length hair.

Senior Constable Darren Sherren said the driver was between 5’6’’ and 5’8’’ with a two-day growth and in his early thirties. He also said the driver had dark features ‘perhaps European - not Maori but maybe Mediterranean or Middle Eastern’.

Witness Erica Hubai said she had observed a ‘Mediterranean guy’ standing in the Hyundai’s door.

The instructions of Senior Constable Bendeich led to the generation of an image of an unshaven slim man with shoulder-length black hair and a "druggy look". Bendeich said the image was about 70 per cent of a likeness of a man he saw talking to Sgt Silk moments before the shooting.

A second photo-fit image used Roberts' driver's licence with some minor alterations.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back