Movie Beau Is Afraid (2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Director, Ari Aster, follows up on Hereditary and Midsommar.

It starts off by introducing Beau (Joaquain Pheonix) as a highly anxious, slightly dysfunctional, balding, overweight, middle aged man living in an inner city dystopia. From there, it takes you on an unpredictable rollercoaster ride of delicious wierdness. The plot is highly imaginative and unpredictable. The visuals depict a series of surrealistic, nightmare scenarios where you never quite know what is real.

It has a runtime of three hours but it didn't feel long as it's broken up into four or five sequences that are almost short movies with their own separate look and feel.

Did I understand it all? No. But sometimes you have to just experience art.

If Phoenix doesn't win the Oscar for best actor there's something amiss with the Academy.

It's got what I call 'movie magic'. I'm giving it 10/10. At the same time I know some people will hate it.

Last edited:
Director, Ari Aster, follows up on Hereditary and Midsommar.

It starts off by introducing Beau (Joaquain Pheonix) as a highly anxious, slightly dysfunctional, balding, overweight, middle aged man living in an inner city dystopia. From there, it takes you on an unpredictable rollercoaster ride of delicious wierdness. The plot is highly imaginative and unpredictable. The visuals depict a series of surrealistic, nightmare scenarios where you never quite know what is real.

It has a runtime of three hours but it didn't feel long as it's broken up into four or five sequences that are almost short movies with their own separate look and feel.

Did I understand it all? No. But sometimes you have to just experience art.

If Phoenix doesn't win the Oscar for best actor there's something amiss with the Academy.

It's got what I call 'movie magic'. I'm giving it 10/10. At the same time I know some people will hate it.
Great movie,deserves Oscars.
Screenshot_20231112_115158_Chrome.jpg

I really liked it, and think it certainly one of the most interesting movies of the past year.

The Oscar talk is fanciful though. Phoenix is probably its best chance for a major nomination (wouldn't be surprised to see it up for something like Makeup), but even then - have you seen what the current form for Best Actor winners are at the Oscars?

GCtUKVrWoAAG0yJ

Just rewatched it, big fan. Unfortunately Ari let the film down with the ugly CGI ending. But the first 3-4 of the short movies as you called them are amazing.

As for Oscars, they don't usually recognise horror (see Toni Collette snub for Hereditary). Even though this is more horror adjacent, still pretty out there.

I'd be stoked if Joaquin even got a nomination, would be well deserved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back