Player Watch Beau McCreery

Remove this Banner Ad

He's exactly what we've been crying out for.
A small pressure forward who can take his chances.
What you want to have in your forward line to support the talls.
Even our smalls/mids have been more markign types (Billy, Wilbur) or too light for the tackling role (Thomas and C Brown)

Problem is he is being surrounded by midfielders who are not forwards at present - Rantall and Macrae today. Not sure what role they are supposed to be playing as they are neither strong, fast nor marking targets.
May as well be playing Wilbur up forward and Rantall on a wing. Or Henry who is a forward by trade.
I thought Macrae was good against the WCE in the middle. Out of position and ineffectual today.

He is a ripper and not shy to have a crack

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hear you and his effort last week against Werribee didn't warrant a return to senior football.
But he does know how to play the position and can be a marking option. Neither Rantall or Macrae can be and offer nothing defensively in the forward line. Complete waste of time having them there.
Of we want a mid to go forward that can be Sidebottom and Murphy move to the backline to open up the other wing.

Seems a good player to me.

Very good skills and brings pressure. That is all he needs to do at this stage.

Not sold on him yet, but I acknowledge he has had a good start.

Hasn't struck me as having great front-and-centre capability yet, and am not convinced on his goal-sneak skill (e.g. slotting from tight angles around the corner, both feet, etc). I look for both of these things in small forwards that would stick.

In his defense, I'm not sure he was drafted to be that sort of small forward. Clearly his main role atm is to apply consistent forward pressure and take the goal scoring opportunities as they come, rather than being a constant front and center/crumbing threat. He needs a partner in crime i50 that is more in the crumbing, goal kicking type mold to compliment his forward pressure/lock it in style of play.

I fully agree with you though that we are in desperate need of someone to play that role, a Leon Davis/Eddie Betts/Cyril Rioli type who knows how to read the ball and create goals from nothing.

In his defense, I'm not sure he was drafted to be that sort of small forward. Clearly his main role atm is to apply consistent forward pressure and take the goal scoring opportunities as they come, rather than being a constant front and center/crumbing threat. He needs a partner in crime i50 that is more in the crumbing, goal kicking type mold to compliment his forward pressure/lock it in style of play.

I fully agree with you though that we are in desperate need of someone to play that role, a Leon Davis/Eddie Betts/Cyril Rioli type who knows how to read the ball and create goals from nothing.

Correct. He was drafted as a pressure forward who can impact the scoreboard. Most tackles inside 50 in the sanfl in 2020

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep, i agree, but that is the problem I have I think. We don't have that crumbing player (and need one).

We have a big forward (e.g. Cox, Darcy), some medium forwards who are leading targets (Mihocek, De Goey, Elliott, sometimes WHE), and a couple of defensive smalls (C Brown sometimes, McCreery), but don't have the forward who capitalises when the big forwards don't mark it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it is. The first game 0 minutes would be negatively impacting his averages. For example he has 24 disposal in 4 matches (6 ave) but also 24 in the 3 he’s actually played.
and based on the 4 games instead of 3; he is still rated (for his position) as elite on average per game for tackles inside 50 and goals.... prob the 2 best stats for his role. Tracking well is an understatement.

and based on the 4 games instead of 3; he is still rated (for his position) as elite on average per game for tackles inside 50 and goals.... prob the 2 best stats for his role. Tracking well is an understatement.

And in goals per game average. His 2 goals per game in the 3 he's actually played would have him at =23rd league wide.

Second time watching him live.

Loves hunting players and hurting them. If he isn't the fastest player in our team over 50m I'd be very surprised.

Finally got reward for effort tonight. I think he's going to be very good for us.
unlike others that we have tried in the Forward pocket / Half Forward roles he seems a natural goal kicker that we can bank to kick a goal every round

Agree with the sentiments but not the player.

I'm hardly one for suggesting WHE gets another shot at it. Very disappointing output in the past 2.5 seasons.
But he knows how to play the position at least, albeit his workrate and intensity has been sadly lacking and doesn't require reward.
As you said, more the sentiment. We're playing people out of position and it rarely works.
Tom Phillips was a case in point.

We need players who know how to pressure and crumb in our forward line, not a stack of superfluous mids. McCreery is a good case in point.
We're wasting our time playing Rantall and Macrae up forward I think.
As someone else noted, we'd be better off playing Sidebottom up forward and having Macrae and Rantall operating in tandem in the middle.

I'm hardly one for suggesting WHE gets another shot at it. Very disappointing output in the past 2.5 seasons.
But he knows how to play the position at least, albeit his workrate and intensity has been sadly lacking and doesn't require reward.
As you said, more the sentiment. We're playing people out of position and it rarely works.

We need players who know how to pressure and crumb in our forward line, not a stack of superfluous mids. McCreery is a good case in point.
As someone else noted, we'd be better off playing Sidebottom up forward and having Macrae and Rantall operating in tandem in the middle.
Agree with you AP, i posted in the IQ thread that he is the guy to throw fwd. As long as our back 6-8 can handle to job.
IQ has the complete skill set, quickish, lateral movement, a good kick generally ( unknown goal sneek type shots )and super importantly is an aerial threat. Also has the confidence to want the ball, a must in a good fwd. IQ would be a Papley in my eyes, and we would kill for a Papley type.

Last edited:

Not sure Phillips is the best example. His impact was waning seriously in his preferred position.

Agree with you AP, i posted in the IQ thread that he is the guy to throw fwd. As long as our back 6-8 can handle to job.
IQ has the complete skill set, guickish, lateral movement, a good kick generally ( unknown goal sneek type shots )and super importantly is an aerial threat. Also has the confidence to want the ball, i must in a good fwd. IQ would be a Papley in my eyes, and we would kill for a Papley type.
An interesting thought. I tend to think his penetrating kicking is best applied down back and he runs well in straight lines. We need his line breaking down back. I don't have much perspective on him crumbing front and centre or kicking around corners to suggest he becomes Tom Papley. He can mark though, as you note, but I have kind of felt that our small to mid size forwards have had the ability to mark - Billy, Wilbur, Jordy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back