Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Saison is roughly at 40% attenuation, just dumped 2.4kg of strawberry puree into it. Gonna be interesting.
Intrigued to hear how it goes!

I just made a saison on Sunday which I’m fermenting with built up dregs from a brett saison made by Future Mountain. Will be my first (non sour) bretty beer. Going to leave for 6 weeks and then dry hop

Intrigued to hear how it goes!

I just made a saison on Sunday which I’m fermenting with built up dregs from a brett saison made by Future Mountain. Will be my first (non sour) bretty beer. Going to leave for 6 weeks and then dry hop

Envious of your patience levels.

What size batches do you make? You seem to brew pretty regularly.

Envious of your patience levels.

What size batches do you make? You seem to brew pretty regularly.
Have been recently due to nothing else to do. Usually end up with around 18L in the keg but this saison is about 22L.

A couple of them recently have been ones I’m ageing so I’m not drinking that much (still have at least inebeer a day though)

The Belgian dubbel I made the other week has been ageing with oak chips - it was really overpoweringly estery so I wanted to give it a few weeks to see how it went.

Now it’s a bit bland so I might split off 8L or so and add some bugs and age it even longer

I’m kinda just intrigued by whether or not I can make something interesting by long term ageing with yeast I’ve built up from commercial bottles. Hopefully it’s not all a bunch of waiting for nothing

Have been recently due to nothing else to do. Usually end up with around 18L in the keg but this saison is about 22L.

A couple of them recently have been ones I’m ageing so I’m not drinking that much (still have at least inebeer a day though)

The Belgian dubbel I made the other week has been ageing with oak chips - it was really overpoweringly estery so I wanted to give it a few weeks to see how it went.

Now it’s a bit bland so I might split off 8L or so and add some bugs and age it even longer

I’m kinda just intrigued by whether or not I can make something interesting by long term ageing with yeast I’ve built up from commercial bottles. Hopefully it’s not all a bunch of waiting for nothing

Do you just age them in a cube in your garage?

Currently brewing a kolsch my recipie was for 3.5kg of pilsner malt 260g of carapils and 130g of wheat.
I had a kid problem and had to leave it for an hour extra during mash...
This is my sg reading 😯 20201013_204136.jpg
Wtf.... was supposed to be about 1037...

Holy s**t man. That’s so unfortunate. Hopefully you didn’t lose too much. I’ve never added more than ~ a kilo of fruit but I know to be careful next time

Do you just age them in a cube in your garage?
Yeah for these ones I am however I’ve aged in kegs in the past too.

They must have f’ed up when they measured my grain surely... I'll see what the hydro says when it's done.
Bizarre - will be interested to see what the hydro says. I can never fully trust my refrac. Imagine if they doubled your grain bill

Holy sh*t man. That’s so unfortunate. Hopefully you didn’t lose too much. I’ve never added more than ~ a kilo of fruit but I know to be careful next time

Yeah for these ones I am however I’ve aged in kegs in the past too.

Bizarre - will be interested to see what the hydro says. I can never fully trust my refrac. Imagine if they doubled your grain bill
Just about to take a reading. Just waiting on pitch temp.
Funny thing is the grain didntvseem over the top like a NEIPA or something.

Holy sh*t man. That’s so unfortunate. Hopefully you didn’t lose too much. I’ve never added more than ~ a kilo of fruit but I know to be careful next time

Was about 2 litres of puree, probably lost about a litre of fluid - looks worse than it actually was. It's annoying but not heartbreaking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully it was pretty well mixed by that stage and didn’t just push out the purée.

Yeah true. Smells incredible, from what I know the taste/definition of a Saison can be incredibly broad so whatever comes out should be interesting.

I put 2 liters of water in the fermenter and filled it up and this is the hydro.
View attachment 984654I'm happy with that 👍👍👍

There's a calculator to convert hot wort gravity to pitching temp gravity if you ever need to work it out sooner to adjust on the fly. I've used it a lot to consider if I ever need to boil longer/shorter to get the hop schedule set up. It's micro managing at its finest 🤣

There's a calculator to convert hot wort gravity to pitching temp gravity if you ever need to work it out sooner to adjust on the fly. I've used it a lot to consider if I ever need to boil longer/shorter to get the hop schedule set up. It's micro managing at its finest 🤣

I'd have thought that little drop on the SG lense would have cooled pretty quick.
I'm pretty sure the homebrew place ****ed up my grain bill though. I mucked around on with my recipie and even if I got 100% mash efficiency I couldn't get that hydro reading.

Yeah it’s a big spectrum. What yeast did you use?

White Labs Belgian Saison 2. Was hoping for their Saison Ale but none left and getting liquid yeast over here is becoming a massive pain in the arse right now.

I'd have thought that little drop on the SG lense would have cooled pretty quick.
I'm pretty sure the homebrew place f’ed up my grain bill though. I mucked around on with my recipie and even if I got 100% mash efficiency I couldn't get that hydro reading.
YEah if your refrac is ATC then a few seconds on the glass before closing the flap should be enough to get a decent reading.
I took some of my partigyle the other night that was showing 30P which I knew was impossible. I gave it a few extra seconds on the glass for the re-test and it came down to 22.5P which was close to expected.
Moral is, if reading is much higher than anticipated, re-test with longer time for cooling.

On another note last weekend I did a mash for a mate who is right into distilling.
I did two batches of 6.5kg of pale malt and 600g of peated malt each.
The peated malt has a kind of brine smell behind the smoke although I couldn't pick it up after it was mashed.
He's been using wheatbix and other easy things to ferment so he's pretty excited to try this out.
They're going to age it in glass with oak staves for 6 months to a year.

I'm pretty sure the homebrew place f’ed up my grain bill though. I mucked around on with my recipie and even if I got 100% mash efficiency I couldn't get that hydro reading.

Yep I meant for hydrometer if you were waiting for that to cool down to cross check.

Who did your grain bill?

Back