Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

White Labs Belgian Saison 2. Was hoping for their Saison Ale but none left and getting liquid yeast over here is becoming a massive pain in the arse right now.
Never used it but it’s meant to be a reliable fermenter, unlike their Belgian saison 1. I think it’ll be good for a fruited saison as it says it’s a bit more subdued in terms of fruity esters, so it’ll allow the strawberry to shine through a bit.

First semblance of sunshine and warmth in Melbourne got me feeling like brewing a keg’s worth of lager/kolsch.

House ale put down Tuesday.
1.040 @ 40L

Not sure what happened. Think I stuffed around with efficiencies on brew father.
Was meant to be 1.050 🤷‍♀️

You'll just have to drink more of it!

I totally undershot my Saison from the weekend by 15 points, I'm thinking it's a combination of sparging too quickly and not hot enough as it happened with my IPA too. Could've been a * up on the grain weights too but didn't check. I'm not hugely fussed, I'm more about the flavour than the ABV but I'd still like to be as accurate as possible.

You'll just have to drink more of it!

I totally undershot my Saison from the weekend by 15 points, I'm thinking it's a combination of sparging too quickly and not hot enough as it happened with my IPA too. Could've been a fu** up on the grain weights too but didn't check. I'm not hugely fussed, I'm more about the flavour than the ABV but I'd still like to be as accurate as possible.
I’ve found i undershoot every time if I use more than about 5.5 kg in the robobrew, but as soon as I go below 4.5kg i get great efficiency.

I’ve found i undershoot every time if I use more than about 5.5 kg in the robobrew, but as soon as I go below 4.5kg i get great efficiency.

It'd be fair to say I'm very similar. Wonder what the go is there?

It'd be fair to say I'm very similar. Wonder what the go is there?
It’s pretty common I think. Larger the grain bill, the worse your efficiency. Probably a few factors but I wouldn’t be able to say exactly why - a lot would be to do with mash thickness, poor recirculation, sparging not being as effective etc.

It’s pretty common I think. Larger the grain bill, the worse your efficiency. Probably a few factors but I wouldn’t be able to say exactly why - a lot would be to do with mash thickness, poor recirculation, sparging not being as effective etc.

I usually go for about 3L/KG for the mash just as a rule of thumb. You reckon maybe I'm going a bit too much?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saison currently sitting at 91% attenuation this arvo. Looking to cold crash either tonight or tomorrow night then add some gelatin (first time use) 24hrs after.

And I now have 3 Czech Pilsner smack packs for my next batch - surely that's going to be enough to see it through fermenting at 10 degrees. *en better.

Saison currently sitting at 91% attenuation this arvo. Looking to cold crash either tonight or tomorrow night then add some gelatin (first time use) 24hrs after.

And I now have 3 Czech Pilsner smack packs for my next batch - surely that's going to be enough to see it through fermenting at 10 degrees. fu**en better.
Should be fine. Have you done a starter before? It’s super easy

Should be fine. Have you done a starter before? It’s super easy

Negative dude. I'm at the point where home brewing is still fun, and I feel like if I begin with starters and water profiling then I'm moving to a point of it just tipping into too much work and it'll suck the enjoyment out of it for me. I'm just not committed enough to it to learn to do it properly if you know what I mean. Guess that means my beers will never quite be at the level of others who do put in that extra work. 🙂

So to make up for it I bought these instead:

_20201019_191425.JPG

The Pirate Life is a good summer beer - super refreshing.

Negative dude. I'm at the point where home brewing is still fun, and I feel like if I begin with starters and water profiling then I'm moving to a point of it just tipping into too much work and it'll suck the enjoyment out of it for me. I'm just not committed enough to it to learn to do it properly if you know what I mean. Guess that means my beers will never quite be at the level of others who do put in that extra work. 🙂

So to make up for it I bought these instead:

View attachment 989861

The Pirate Life is a good summer beer - super refreshing.
Making a starter isn’t really about being elitist or anything. For me it’s just a way of not needing to buy more than one $15 liquid yeast pouch if I’m not using dry yeast.

All you need is some dry malt and a 1-2 litre glass bottle or jar (can even use a plastic bottle).

100 g dry malt to 1 litre of water. Boil up in a saucepan for a minute to dissolve, then let it cool in the saucepan. Pour in bottle/jar along with your yeast. Put alfoil on top.

you don’t need to use a calculator or get a stir plate or anything like that.

Water profiles I agree with though!

Making a starter isn’t really about being elitist or anything. For me it’s just a way of not needing to buy more than one $15 liquid yeast pouch if I’m not using dry yeast.

All you need is some dry malt and a 1-2 litre glass bottle or jar (can even use a plastic bottle).

100 g dry malt to 1 litre of water. Boil up in a saucepan for a minute to dissolve, then let it cool in the saucepan. Pour in bottle/jar along with your yeast. Put alfoil on top.

you don’t need to use a calculator or get a stir plate or anything like that.

Water profiles I agree with though!

Sorry didn't mean for it to come across that way - meant it more as it's adding another step which I'm more likely to mess up as I won't give it the attention it deserves. But now you've made it sound so easy I'm probably going to try it! LOL

I saw that pirate life the other day and considered trying it

Really crisp and refreshing - kinda similar in drinking to Balter XPA but with more flavour. (yes I'm aware how everyone feels about the XPA!)

Any of you guys used the kveik yeast? I haven't been able to buy it down here so ordered some in.
I've heard it works good for neipa's so thought I'd give it a crack.

I've read a lot about it but yet to try it. Would be good for an experimental stanky farmhouse/saison IMO.

Any of you guys used the kveik yeast? I haven't been able to buy it down here so ordered some in.
I've heard it works good for neipa's so thought I'd give it a crack.
I've read a lot about it but yet to try it. Would be good for an experimental stanky farmhouse/saison IMO.
Used it once and only one variety (sigmund voss). Thing with Kveik is that it’s not one type of yeast, there’s heaps of strains that all have wildly different flavour and aroma characteristics.

see https://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html

I think all of them need to be fermented pretty hot (like 28°C+), but in terms of tast some are super clean, some have strong orange rind flavours, some have mango/tropical vibes, some are spicy like saison yeast, etc.

they get a wrap for being easy to use but in reality it’s not really the case. They’re kinda the opposite to regular yeast. They need to be kept hot, and need fairly high gravity wort or they can stall. So if it’s summer in Perth and you’re fermenting something strong in your shed, it’s totally perfect. But if you want to do it in winter you’ll need a heat pad.

They do finish very quickly though so great if you want to turn something around in a week. Also you’ll never need a starter because you only need a pretty small amount to ferment with - people use a teaspoon of liquid kveik for a whole batch!

I’m not convinced by it but I have only used one of the more boring varieties and not one they tend to use for NEIPAs like Ebbegarden.

Back