Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks delicious. I tasted my kolsch that I brewed on the weekend and it’s already tasting damn good only 6 days in. Who needs conditioning

Keen to see how yours goes and the recipe you've used for a comparison for my next batch. Certain yours will be better. Hoping my game gets a bit more refined this year with starters and just sticking to the basics. Did a heap of experimenting in 2020 for some mixed results, nothing undrinkable but the Pils left a bit to be desired. The Irish red, stout and strawberry Saison were up there with my best yet, the 2 IPAs (mango oatcream and Elvis Juice clone) though decent weren't as good as I hoped.

VPA says on the can all they used is Pale malt and El Dorado hops. Reckon they're telling the truth?

Yeah John's confirmedas much on PHBS. I first used El Dorado after trying the first batch of VPA and love that hop. Ended up using it quite a bit. Kicks a heap of candied/over ripe pineapple for me

It's probably my consistent favourite. Amarillo is pretty similar and quite nice too.

Keen to see how yours goes and the recipe you've used for a comparison for my next batch. Certain yours will be better. Hoping my game gets a bit more refined this year with starters and just sticking to the basics. Did a heap of experimenting in 2020 for some mixed results, nothing undrinkable but the Pils left a bit to be desired. The Irish red, stout and strawberry Saison were up there with my best yet, the 2 IPAs (mango oatcream and Elvis Juice clone) though decent weren't as good as I hoped.

VPA says on the can all they used is Pale malt and El Dorado hops. Reckon they're telling the truth?
The hoppier my beers are, the more I tend to be disappointed so I feel you there.

your kolsch could easily end up being better than mine. Mine isn’t that traditional but it uses wyeast 2565 which I rate but a lot of people don’t tend to use. I got pretty bad efficiency with my brew so who knows. I’ll send through the recipe if you like, but it reads kinda more like a pale ale recipe than a traditional kolsch

The hoppier my beers are, the more I tend to be disappointed so I feel you there.

your kolsch could easily end up being better than mine. Mine isn’t that traditional but it uses wyeast 2565 which I rate but a lot of people don’t tend to use. I got pretty bad efficiency with my brew so who knows. I’ll send through the recipe if you like, but it reads kinda more like a pale ale recipe than a traditional kolsch

4kg pils
400g Vienna
250g melanoidin
200g carapils
3 x 30g hallertau
Whitelabs WLP029 German ale/kolsch

Let me know yours when you have a few bored moments.

4kg pils
400g Vienna
250g melanoidin
200g carapils
3 x 30g hallertau
Whitelabs WLP029 German ale/kolsch

Let me know yours when you have a few bored moments.
4 kg gladfield german pilsner
750 g best malz munich
250 g gladfield toffee
Mashed at 67

18 g magnum 60 min
50 g nelson + 50 g riwaka at 75° whirlpool for 5 min

Wyeast 2565 at 16.5°c for 4 days and then free rise.

Pretty similar recipe except mine will be a bit sweeter from the toffee malt and fruitier from the hops

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a Weber Q with a rangehood. It's the family Q. But yeah that would pose a problem for you as you can't trap enough heat in.

Alternatives would be cooking over charcoal, or buy a little blowtorch
sorryI mean it has a ‘lid’...I thought you meant something else. This one is the size below the family Q. It did the job but a cast iron pan on a commercial stove would have been better

Look I'm sorry guys, but I gotta step in and question the rosemary on beef. Rosemary is for lamb only. Come @ me.
hah yeah I would have used thyme but I had just sprayed it for bugs and didn’t want to use it straight after. I knew it was never going to impact that much flavour regardless - just did it for show mostly

In fairness I did start with a Shelter Brewing XPA. I'm annoyed I even dirtied my glass with that trash. One sip drain pour beer. Gross.

Can't believe in this day and age breweries send their sub par new beers to the market. It can kill a brand.

Ok, so I've just gotten into this (got a kit for Xmas). Had the first lot bottled two weeks ago, about to put them in the fridge for a week and then give it a go. It's a lager that came with the kit, used the PET bottles.

Currently got a Coopers Sparkling in the fermenter, been in for a week. I've taken advantage of the Dan Murphys longneck specials and have plenty of empties to put this lot into.

Question: I bought caps and one of the manual cappers below, any tips with using it? I've tried on an empty bottle and it seemed ok, is there a way to tell that it's fitted properly? (or do I need to stop being a tightarse and buy one of the whiz bang ones?)

EDIT: I just did a homebrew search and just saw it's on the Eagles board, hope you don't mind me posting ha ha

s-l500.jpg

Ok, so I've just gotten into this (got a kit for Xmas). Had the first lot bottled two weeks ago, about to put them in the fridge for a week and then give it a go. It's a lager that came with the kit, used the PET bottles.

Currently got a Coopers Sparkling in the fermenter, been in for a week. I've taken advantage of the Dan Murphys longneck specials and have plenty of empties to put this lot into.

Question: I bought caps and one of the manual cappers below, any tips with using it? I've tried on an empty bottle and it seemed ok, is there a way to tell that it's fitted properly? (or do I need to stop being a tightarse and buy one of the whiz bang ones?)

EDIT: I just did a homebrew search and just saw it's on the Eagles board, hope you don't mind me posting ha ha

s-l500.jpg

We don't really care what club you go for in this thread, it's all good.

You can tell when the cap is on properly, it'll just be sealed down evenly and flat all the way round. Depending on how you progress it appears most move away from bottling and towards kegging, I haven't and don't think I will and I use one of the lever type cappers which is probably a bit smoother an operation when you've got 50 stubbies when compared to the style you've got.

Really though the name of the game is to produce beer that gets you s**t-faced, then depending on how much you enjoy the hobby you can move to spending more on better gear and ingredients to make better batches.

Regardless keep us posted on how you go with some pics. We're all pretty keen to shoot the s**t about homebrewing!

s-l500.jpg
Unless you are looking to age beers beyond 12 months, stick with the PETs. Way easier and safer (no bottle bombs). Also you can keep track of how they are carbing up by giving them a bit of a squeeze- once they are hard you know they are carbed.

Back