Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Conversations with friends more experienced than me leads me to believe your AA won't dissipate over time, only aroma will. Different hops will give different bitterness though. I quite like warrior as a bittering hop as it doesnt linger. Magnum is supposed to be decent also.

Its #SourSunday bitchezz! Got my stainless steel fermenter ready to rock, kitted it out with a stainless ball valve and modified my co2 bottle so I can purge the wort to push out any oxygen before I pitch my lacto culture. We gun' grow some bugs!!
It was magnum. But according to this http://brewerslog.appspot.com/HopAlphaCalc it's likely I added only a portion of what I should have to get the bitterness I wanted.

I just went and bought a bottle of pure hop acid extract as it was dirt cheap. Gonna give that a whirl. If it goes well I might just start using this stuff instead of bittering hops and go all out with flavour/aroma hops. Yes, it will most likely end in tears.

Keep us in the loop re: the sour. I'm keen to make a berliner weisse one day.

At the Thirsty Crow in Wagga. Fair crack'n beer menu here lads. Had the tasting paddle. Their Sporting Ale is a dangerous one, super easy drinking and could get a few peeps in trouble on a hot summer afternoon. Not a big fan of the dark ales but had a Dark Alleyway IPA and boy does it pack a punch. Checkout the tasting notes on this bad boy.

F*** the birthday weekend is going well. Now working my way through the rest of their 20 odd beers on tap. Yeeeewwww!!
20170219_123330.jpg 20170219_132645.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

At the Thirsty Crow in Wagga. Fair crack'n beer menu here lads. Had the tasting paddle. Their Sporting Ale is a dangerous one, super easy drinking and could get a few peeps in trouble on a hot summer afternoon. Not a big fan of the dark ales but had a Dark Alleyway IPA and boy does it pack a punch. Checkout the tasting notes on this bad boy.

F*** the birthday weekend is going well. Now working my way through the rest of their 20 odd beers on tap. Yeeeewwww!!
View attachment 337991View attachment 337992

It's only 8.30 am and already I feel like a beer

How's your brewing adventures going gents? My sour is now fermenting under the steam of saccharomyces, at an ABV of 2.4% and tasting pretty reasonable for my first ever Berliner Weisse and sour.

Unfortunately I could not achieve the desired sourness (pH) in time, and I had to pitch the US05 before I went to Busselton last Friday. Otherwise I was at risk of it over souring, the pH getting into the low 3's and making conditions too hostile for the 05 to ferment any sugars.

As it turns out I got home Sunday and it was bubbling furiously. All the starsan had spewed out of the airlock and continued to do so until yesterday. I raised the temp a little last night and hope it will ferment out another 4 points or so (1032 to 1010).

I am expecting it will be only mildly sour and thus intend to age it on some tart fruit. Any ideas? The good news from all of this is yes I can sour at home and my process was bang on as I have no off flavours or smells. Some guys report vomit aromas and such doing their sours, yuk.

How's your brewing adventures going gents? My sour is now fermenting under the steam of saccharomyces, at an ABV of 2.4% and tasting pretty reasonable for my first ever Berliner Weisse and sour.

Unfortunately I could not achieve the desired sourness (pH) in time, and I had to pitch the US05 before I went to Busselton last Friday. Otherwise I was at risk of it over souring, the pH getting into the low 3's and making conditions too hostile for the 05 to ferment any sugars.

As it turns out I got home Sunday and it was bubbling furiously. All the starsan had spewed out of the airlock and continued to do so until yesterday. I raised the temp a little last night and hope it will ferment out another 4 points or so (1032 to 1010).

I am expecting it will be only mildly sour and thus intend to age it on some tart fruit. Any ideas? The good news from all of this is yes I can sour at home and my process was bang on as I have no off flavours or smells. Some guys report vomit aromas and such doing their sours, yuk.
Sounds pretty awesome and good on you.

I'm struggling big time to keep to my post-holiday commitment of less beer (and by extension less brewing) as I've come back looking very much like I've enjoyed the holiday and then some. I'm fighting every natural instinct at the moment.

Things were helped somewhat when I came back to find my kegerator, back up drinks fridge and one of my Fermenting fridges absolutely covered in mould because I thought it'd be a good idea to save some power by switching all of them off....And not leaving the doors ajar. Faaaark! Wasn't that a sight to behold. Took me a full day to go through and clean out everything, including kegs, lines, connectors, shelves etc.

Finally gotten around to putting my first brew down this year. A Kosciuszko Pale Ale style (I'm hoping). I like the drop. Pretty easy drinking and refreshing. Mrs has her work crowd coming over in a few weeks and thought it'd be one that most people will like. My research says galaxy and POR for hops. Couldnt get my hands on galaxy so swapped out Aus Ella for it. Didn't bother with POR but hit it with 15g at 15 and 25g at flameout. Had a fairly bitter initial taste but hopefully that settles through the fermentation. Will check it in a week to see if I need to hit it with some more hops for more aroma. Went with my first addition of carapils instead of the dried corn syrup I usually put in too. Looking forward to seeing how that goes.

F*** this talk of beer is making me thirsty.

I'm struggling big time to keep to my post-holiday commitment of less beer (and by extension less brewing) as I've come back looking very much like I've enjoyed the holiday and then some. I'm fighting every natural instinct at the moment.

Things were helped somewhat when I came back to find my kegerator, back up drinks fridge and one of my Fermenting fridges absolutely covered in mould because I thought it'd be a good idea to save some power by switching all of them off....And not leaving the doors ajar. Faaaark! Wasn't that a sight to behold. Took me a full day to go through and clean out everything, including kegs, lines, connectors, shelves etc.

Finally gotten around to putting my first brew down this year. A Kosciuszko Pale Ale style (I'm hoping). I like the drop. Pretty easy drinking and refreshing. Mrs has her work crowd coming over in a few weeks and thought it'd be one that most people will like. My research says galaxy and POR for hops. Couldnt get my hands on galaxy so swapped out Aus Ella for it. Didn't bother with POR but hit it with 15g at 15 and 25g at flameout. Had a fairly bitter initial taste but hopefully that settles through the fermentation. Will check it in a week to see if I need to hit it with some more hops for more aroma. Went with my first addition of carapils instead of the dried corn syrup I usually put in too. Looking forward to seeing how that goes.

Ahhh the dreaded fridge clean out! I did that myself after pitching a dunkel wort onto a hefe yeast cake, she went nuuuts! But yeah thats a rookie mistake on your part.

That pale sounds nice, and I too am wrestling with the post-work beer demons. Its no help to me that work is an absolute pain in the ass so far this year. Brutally busy and no sign of slowing up. The odd post-work beer is the only thing stopping me going postal.

Gonna go for a walk after work today and see if that helps. Not saying I wont have a beer after that, but at least Ill have got some fresh air and cooled my jets beforehand.

Said to a mate today that once this sour is kegged I might shut down the brew setup for a while. Course if it tastes good Ill be hella keen to brew another

Ahhh the dreaded fridge clean out! I did that myself after pitching a dunkel wort onto a hefe yeast cake, she went nuuuts! But yeah thats a rookie mistake on your part.

That pale sounds nice, and I too am wrestling with the post-work beer demons. Its no help to me that work is an absolute pain in the ass so far this year. Brutally busy and no sign of slowing up. The odd post-work beer is the only thing stopping me going postal.

Gonna go for a walk after work today and see if that helps. Not saying I wont have a beer after that, but at least Ill have got some fresh air and cooled my jets beforehand.

Said to a mate today that once this sour is kegged I might shut down the brew setup for a while. Course if it tastes good Ill be hella keen to brew another
Yeah I know the feeling re: being so busy at work and craving that beer so hard.

Going for a run helps. But then you feel like a refreshing beer as opposed to a stress relief beer!

I like Kosciusko pale too. It's made by the guy who originally started Hahn apparently. Good Aussie pale ale.

I just used galaxy in my latest beer. 2016 whole leaf hops.

Bottled my latest batch last night. Added about 2ml of this pure alpha acid hop extract to the batch which brought up the bitterness a bit.

The galaxy dry hop and the Amarillo I used in the boil makes it smell just like that Golden Pash fruit punch stuff you get in cans. Crazy amounts of tropical vibes.

Can't tell what it'll be like until it's carbonated but it's by far my cleanest tasting beer because I finally have temperature control!

Reckon it'll be a bit too 'pacific ale' for my liking but I bet my mates who are into that vibe will froth on it.

DanWCE I'm interested in your process for your sour. Did you boil after it had been souring for a while? Or just pitch straight into the lactobacillus?

I am v keen to do a Berliner weisse myself.

I reckon buy some sour cherries.

I like Kosciusko pale too. It's made by the guy who originally started Hahn apparently. Good Aussie pale ale.

I just used galaxy in my latest beer. 2016 whole leaf hops.

Bottled my latest batch last night. Added about 2ml of this pure alpha acid hop extract to the batch which brought up the bitterness a bit.

The galaxy dry hop and the Amarillo I used in the boil makes it smell just like that Golden Pash fruit punch stuff you get in cans. Crazy amounts of tropical vibes.

Can't tell what it'll be like until it's carbonated but it's by far my cleanest tasting beer because I finally have temperature control!

Reckon it'll be a bit too 'pacific ale' for my liking but I bet my mates who are into that vibe will froth on it.

DanWCE I'm interested in your process for your sour. Did you boil after it had been souring for a while? Or just pitch straight into the lactobacillus?

I am v keen to do a Berliner weisse myself.

I reckon buy some sour cherries.

Galaxy and amarillo are good buddies! Citrus, orange, definitely a bit of that sweet, juicy tropical vibe. Also really good to hear the fermentation temp control has paid off. It seems a little trivial to some people but it makes such a big difference for a small cost. All you need is room.

Okay so I'll run you through my souring method as it was not the most common/easy/conventional depending on which way you look at it. Kettle souring is supposed to be pretty easy but I did it my way the day after a mate did a kettle sour and I think he's had some issues I avoided.

I used a mix of pilsner malt and wheat malt, so my brew day was as normal. Mash in at mid 60s for 90 min then mash out, and hold a boil for 90 minutes to avoid any DMS from the pils. No hops!! Lacto hates hops.

Chill to 40 deg, transfer to fermenter, then purge with co2. Lacto hates oxygen! Also oxygen aids other anaerobic? bugs so pumping it all out means only the lacto can thrive.

Test pH. A good wort would be around 5.3. Acidify it to 4.5 with lactic acid 88%. This helps the lacto take off quicker.

Pitch lacto and store in fermenting fridge around 40 deg (I used my heat belt to maintain temp). Take daily readings of pH, you should be targeting mid 3's. The lower it gets the more sour. The more sour the harder the saccharomyces need to work.

Drop temp to 18 once desired sour level is reached, pitch your sacch and let it rip. Some people introduce o2 here for the sacch. I didnt, and to no detriment of the fermentation it seems. Thats it. The rest is as normal with a very good clean of fermenter.

Kettle souring would have you briefly boil the wort, chill, pitch lacto into the kettle, then boil off once desired sourness is achieved, thus killing the lacto so the sacch can ferment as normal. Its also a good way to add hops if you want any. My theory on not killing off the lacto is it likes much warmer temps and will go to sleep once you reduce to fermenting temp and pitch sacch anyway. It is said the way I did it gives you a more complex sour taste.

What would I do next time? Buy pro biotics and whip up a wicked starter of a better lacto strain. The stuff I got was not that great. It also took ages, and I was always concerned the heat belt might melt the fridge haha.

Id also contemplate a starter of 05. Mainly because next time I intend to get the pH closer to mid/low 3s so active and happy sacch will get in and do their business where dry or rehydrated yeast are effectively asleep and going into less than optimum conditions and trying to get going. Though Ive proven to myself that 05 is pretty beast and will happily get going in 3.8pH wort without even being rehydrated.

Buy a pH meter. The strips are a nightmare and I hope I never have to use them again.

Galaxy and amarillo are good buddies! Citrus, orange, definitely a bit of that sweet, juicy tropical vibe. Also really good to hear the fermentation temp control has paid off. It seems a little trivial to some people but it makes such a big difference for a small cost. All you need is room.

Okay so I'll run you through my souring method as it was not the most common/easy/conventional depending on which way you look at it. Kettle souring is supposed to be pretty easy but I did it my way the day after a mate did a kettle sour and I think he's had some issues I avoided.

I used a mix of pilsner malt and wheat malt, so my brew day was as normal. Mash in at mid 60s for 90 min then mash out, and hold a boil for 90 minutes to avoid any DMS from the pils. No hops!! Lacto hates hops.

Chill to 40 deg, transfer to fermenter, then purge with co2. Lacto hates oxygen! Also oxygen aids other anaerobic? bugs so pumping it all out means only the lacto can thrive.

Test pH. A good wort would be around 5.3. Acidify it to 4.5 with lactic acid 88%. This helps the lacto take off quicker.

Pitch lacto and store in fermenting fridge around 40 deg (I used my heat belt to maintain temp). Take daily readings of pH, you should be targeting mid 3's. The lower it gets the more sour. The more sour the harder the saccharomyces need to work.

Drop temp to 18 once desired sour level is reached, pitch your sacch and let it rip. Some people introduce o2 here for the sacch. I didnt, and to no detriment of the fermentation it seems. Thats it. The rest is as normal with a very good clean of fermenter.

Kettle souring would have you briefly boil the wort, chill, pitch lacto into the kettle, then boil off once desired sourness is achieved, thus killing the lacto so the sacch can ferment as normal. Its also a good way to add hops if you want any. My theory on not killing off the lacto is it likes much warmer temps and will go to sleep once you reduce to fermenting temp and pitch sacch anyway. It is said the way I did it gives you a more complex sour taste.

What would I do next time? Buy pro biotics and whip up a wicked starter of a better lacto strain. The stuff I got was not that great. It also took ages, and I was always concerned the heat belt might melt the fridge haha.

Id also contemplate a starter of 05. Mainly because next time I intend to get the pH closer to mid/low 3s so active and happy sacch will get in and do their business where dry or rehydrated yeast are effectively asleep and going into less than optimum conditions and trying to get going. Though Ive proven to myself that 05 is pretty beast and will happily get going in 3.8pH wort without even being rehydrated.

Buy a pH meter. The strips are a nightmare and I hope I never have to use them again.
Yeah sick, sounds good. The reading I had done had pointed me in the kettle souring direction. It seemed easiest.

I don't have CO2 because I don't keg. What does purging with CO2 actually involve?

I was thinking if I had a robobrew or temp controlled urn I could just pitch straight into that and set the temp to warm. Then boil it after a few days.

Depends how likely it is that the bacteria will stick around after emptying I guess. But the post-souring boil should kill them off.

I tried a ph strip for some of my soil once. It didn't work. Got a proper soil ph tester instead. Reckon I'd get a proper instrument if I was going the sour route.

I'm not a huge fan of sours but my mates are so maybe later this year toward summer I will give it a crack.

Going to revise my American stout recipe from last year next, add more roasted barley and some bitter orange peel - or maybe do a ginger beer.

also do any of you wash your yeast sludge? I want to reuse some yeast slurry next time but don't want to have to * around with a fiddly process

also do any of you wash your yeast sludge? I want to reuse some yeast slurry next time but don't want to have to **** around with a fiddly process
I think we may have touched on this a few months ago. I'm actually drinking a brew at the moment that I out on a yeast cake. It's bloody nice!!!

The fiddly washing part is if you don't want to use the yeast cake straight away. If you do, it a piece of piss. Pretty much as easy as getting as much of the previous brew off it, and putting your next brew straight on it.

The only other consideration is probably not using a yeast cake if it has had to do some big work on a heavy beer as the yeast may be a bit stressed to do the job on the next lot. Also, depending on what your first brew is, they reckon there can be a bit of that flavour tansfer. I wouldn't know. I've only put similar beers on a yeast cake.

I think we may have touched on this a few months ago. I'm actually drinking a brew at the moment that I out on a yeast cake. It's bloody nice!!!

The fiddly washing part is if you don't want to use the yeast cake straight away. If you do, it a piece of piss. Pretty much as easy as getting as much of the previous brew off it, and putting your next brew straight on it.

The only other consideration is probably not using a yeast cake if it has had to do some big work on a heavy beer as the yeast may be a bit stressed to do the job on the next lot. Also, depending on what your first brew is, they reckon there can be a bit of that flavour tansfer. I wouldn't know. I've only put similar beers on a yeast cake.

Yeah I don't reckon I could ever time things well enough to dump a new batch onto a fresh cake. I'd have to store it in the fridge for a week or so I reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah sick, sounds good. The reading I had done had pointed me in the kettle souring direction. It seemed easiest.

I don't have CO2 because I don't keg. What does purging with CO2 actually involve?

I was thinking if I had a robobrew or temp controlled urn I could just pitch straight into that and set the temp to warm. Then boil it after a few days.

Depends how likely it is that the bacteria will stick around after emptying I guess. But the post-souring boil should kill them off.

I tried a ph strip for some of my soil once. It didn't work. Got a proper soil ph tester instead. Reckon I'd get a proper instrument if I was going the sour route.

I'm not a huge fan of sours but my mates are so maybe later this year toward summer I will give it a crack.

Going to revise my American stout recipe from last year next, add more roasted barley and some bitter orange peel - or maybe do a ginger beer.

You could still purge co2 by setting up a little rig using the small co2 canisters for mini kegs/growlers/bike tyre inflators.

20170219_095252-1377x2448.jpg

This. Connect co2 to this (I use a one way valve that disconnects) then pressure up the line (doesnt need much) and crack the tap. I set up all stainless for my sours. As youll boil off with a kettle sour you can use plastic.

At a minimum with kettle souring you want glad wrap over the surface of the wort. I didnt need to do that as I created a nice layer of co2.

You could definitely use a robobrew to hold temp. I wouldnt trust an urn dial without a third party instrument like your ferment fridge controller. Run urn through this with the probe in the wort.

Yeah I don't reckon I could ever time things well enough to dump a new batch onto a fresh cake. I'd have to store it in the fridge for a week or so I reckon
Are you doing all grain? I do extract so it's a bit easier I assume.

When I did it, I just got my second brew started (boiling hops/malt etc), stuck it in the fridge and when that was cooled enough got my first brew out and kegged/bottled it. Then dropped my ingredients for the second on the yeast cake and back in the fermenting fridge. I reckon you'll be able to get the timing right man. Give it a crack.

Are you doing all grain? I do extract so it's a bit easier I assume.

When I did it, I just got my second brew started (boiling hops/malt etc), stuck it in the fridge and when that was cooled enough got my first brew out and kegged/bottled it. Then dropped my ingredients for the second on the yeast cake and back in the fermenting fridge. I reckon you'll be able to get the timing right man. Give it a crack.

Yeah I'm still doing extract at the moment. I reckon I'll give it a crack next time, just needs a bit of time planning I guess :thumbsu:

You could still purge co2 by setting up a little rig using the small co2 canisters for mini kegs/growlers/bike tyre inflators.

View attachment 342089

This. Connect co2 to this (I use a one way valve that disconnects) then pressure up the line (doesnt need much) and crack the tap. I set up all stainless for my sours. As youll boil off with a kettle sour you can use plastic.

At a minimum with kettle souring you want glad wrap over the surface of the wort. I didnt need to do that as I created a nice layer of co2.

You could definitely use a robobrew to hold temp. I wouldnt trust an urn dial without a third party instrument like your ferment fridge controller. Run urn through this with the probe in the wort.
Yeah sweet, I can buy those co2 canisters for bikes at this bike vending machine at work. I'll look into it.

Pretty weird that we could be talking about lactic acid in the preseason training thread and then talking about it again as an ingredient in the homebrew thread

Yeah sweet, I can buy those co2 canisters for bikes at this bike vending machine at work. I'll look into it.

Pretty weird that we could be talking about lactic acid in the preseason training thread and then talking about it again as an ingredient in the homebrew thread

No s**t hey. Lactic acid soured beers have mixed reviews. I have heard from a brewer at a pretty reputable local brewery that a lactic soured beer is pretty tasty (as in skip lacto, when you drop the pH to 4.5, keep going to 3.5 then ferment as normal) where others (possibly elitists) reckon its like microwaving a steak. I cant weigh in but its all interesting!

Also... How about passion fruit for my sour? Have I already said that?

No s**t hey. Lactic acid soured beers have mixed reviews. I have heard from a brewer at a pretty reputable local brewery that a lactic soured beer is pretty tasty (as in skip lacto, when you drop the pH to 4.5, keep going to 3.5 then ferment as normal) where others (possibly elitists) reckon its like microwaving a steak. I cant weigh in but its all interesting!

Also... How about passion fruit for my sour? Have I already said that?
Not sure it'll cut through enough. I've never used fruit in beer though so wouldn't know! Definitely something I'm interested in though

Question for you keggers out there.

I've been force carbing using a method showed to me by my LHB guy. Basically carb at 3 bar for around a minute while shaking/rolling the keg, shutting off the CO2 and continuing to shake until regulator shows around 1.4 bar. It's been ok, but I have had some kegs either well under or over so can be a bit hit and miss particularly if I'm daydreaming about what Frankie Watson is going to do in our backline later this year.

I know there is a method where you pretty much set CO2 at serving pressure, I'm assuming around 0.5 bar, hook up to keg for anywhere up to a week and that's it pretty much. Am I right? I've had a quick look around on youtube and most of the vids for carbing are similar to the method I use at the moment. Do any of you guys use the serving pressure method? Any tips, hints, things I should be careful about? Does the keg and CO2 bottle need to be in the fridge during the process (given, beer absorbs the CO2 better when cold)?

Cheers.

Question for you keggers out there.

I've been force carbing using a method showed to me by my LHB guy. Basically carb at 3 bar for around a minute while shaking/rolling the keg, shutting off the CO2 and continuing to shake until regulator shows around 1.4 bar. It's been ok, but I have had some kegs either well under or over so can be a bit hit and miss particularly if I'm daydreaming about what Frankie Watson is going to do in our backline later this year.

I know there is a method where you pretty much set CO2 at serving pressure, I'm assuming around 0.5 bar, hook up to keg for anywhere up to a week and that's it pretty much. Am I right? I've had a quick look around on youtube and most of the vids for carbing are similar to the method I use at the moment. Do any of you guys use the serving pressure method? Any tips, hints, things I should be careful about? Does the keg and CO2 bottle need to be in the fridge during the process (given, beer absorbs the CO2 better when cold)?

Cheers.

I use the serving pressure method. I siphon my cold crashed beer into a keg, hook up the co2 at 14psi, burp the keg a few times to get the oxygen out, then leave it a week. Ill start pulling a beer after about day 5, because it'll finish off carbonation a bit faster with some headspace in the top.

I stopped force carbing as my hoppy beers were losing aroma. Prior to that I would leave my keg on 40psi for 24 hours then drop it to serving pressure and it would be pretty much done.

SpaceClef Feral have released a small offering of Fanta Pants stubbies nationally. Slowbeer had it yesterday. Its probably my favourite beer of theirs, until now only available on tap

SpaceClef Feral have released a small offering of Fanta Pants stubbies nationally. Slowbeer had it yesterday. Its probably my favourite beer of theirs, until now only available on tap
It's really good hey. I remember getting a growler of it from International Beer Shop in west leedy back in 2012 or so.

I'll keep an eye out!

Went to Carwyn last week and had a couple of Ferals - they had about 20 on tap. Such a good brewery

Back