Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The local allocation was snapped up pretty quickly. Some of the guys grabbed them for trade currency more than for enjoying. You could try the Beer Trades FB Group.

Personally I'll probably only hunt down kriek and RDG anyway and they're fairly easy to find.
Let me know if you want one of each, I managed to get 4x RdG and 3x Kriek.

Sour update:

My first attempt at a sour (passionfruit sour) is ******* delish. I would say it’s easily as good as Nowhereman’s Passion Pop sour, but a lot sourer.

Very happy / surprised

Good stuff mate! Pretty easy too, right? Are you going to dedicate a fermenter to sours now just in case?

Good stuff mate! Pretty easy too, right? Are you going to dedicate a fermenter to sours now just in case?
Nah it was a kettle sour so you boil/pasteurise the wort with the bacteria in it.

Mind you, I want to get a new fermenter anyway, so I might just use that one for sours regardless.

There’s some debate about whether boiling the wort with so much live bacteria in it creates off-flavours, so maybe souring it ‘properly’ is best.

But yeah, pretty simple. Just need an urn/electric kettle, a pH meter, and preferably some fruit/flavour

Nope. What are they?

PS I made beer yesterday. Saison with 180g of late addition hops. No idea if that’ll work.

It's a growler/mini keg system hybrid but made (apparently) super easy so you don't need disconnects etc:

Capture.PNG

So it carbs with a mini CO2 cannister in 3 days, then stays carbed with a second one which is inserted under the cap. The regulator is on top of the cap with adjustable flow rate and guage down the bottom of the sight glass. Comes in half gallon or 1 gallon sizes from $200 to $350.

Seems like a really cool idea but a bit pricy.

It's a growler/mini keg system hybrid but made (apparently) super easy so you don't need disconnects etc:

View attachment 646161

So it carbs with a mini CO2 cannister in 3 days, then stays carbed with a second one which is inserted under the cap. The regulator is on top of the cap with adjustable flow rate and guage down the bottom of the sight glass. Comes in half gallon or 1 gallon sizes from $200 to $350.

Seems like a really cool idea but a bit pricy.
That’s pretty sick. But yeah, pricey af. You wouldn’t complain if you got it for Xmas though.

Wonder if you can use a nang canister to make it nitro?

That’s pretty sick. But yeah, pricey af. You wouldn’t complain if you got it for Xmas though.

Wonder if you can use a nang canister to make it nitro?

There's varying prices for stainless steel vs copper too. But yeah, I miss Christmas' and birthdays me and the Mrs used to have before the kids came along where we'd get super carried away with gifts like that, would be absolutely stoked to get one of those.

I'd have no idea with regards to nitro, but I thought the regulators/guages were different from what I've read.

There's varying prices for stainless steel vs copper too. But yeah, I miss Christmas' and birthdays me and the Mrs used to have before the kids came along where we'd get super carried away with gifts like that, would be absolutely stoked to get one of those.

I'd have no idea with regards to nitro, but I thought the regulators/guages were different from what I've read.
Are you kegging your beer? I think it’s about time I started - sick of cleaning bottles.

Have you been brewing much? Sounds like it’s just me these days

Are you kegging your beer? I think it’s about time I started - sick of cleaning bottles.

I've got a bit of a plan regarding this, got the 5 litre keg so that takes out a big chunk, then will do a few growlers and squealers to knock of another 5 litres or so then do the remaining 9 litres or so in my normal pint bottles - I do these so I can give some to family. I don't mind cleaning the bottles so much, I can be fairly meticulous with some things so I clean them straight after I use them.

I'd like to do kegging at some point though, maybe in a few years time.

Have you been brewing much? Sounds like it’s just me these days

Negative, backed off alcohol a bit as I'm doing a couple of half marathons and want to drop some weight for them. But have plans to try and do a version of Pirate Life New Zealand pale ale, probably around June then an NEIPA and Irish red ale in the couple of months after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got a bit of a plan regarding this, got the 5 litre keg so that takes out a big chunk, then will do a few growlers and squealers to knock of another 5 litres or so then do the remaining 9 litres or so in my normal pint bottles - I do these so I can give some to family. I don't mind cleaning the bottles so much, I can be fairly meticulous with some things so I clean them straight after I use them.

Negative, backed off alcohol a bit as I'm doing a couple of half marathons and want to drop some weight for them. But have plans to try and do a version of Pirate Life New Zealand pale ale, probably around June then an NEIPA and Irish red ale in the couple of months after that.
Ugh. I should be healthy too.

Sounds like a good plan though!

Pretty good rate. I've still got 2 from when I brewed 6 or 7 years ago. Screenshot_20190403-123905_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 for 1 is great.

My saison is free rising in temp at the moment. Just hit 24°.

Pitched at 19° and let it rise naturally after the first day of fermentation.

Is plugging a shitty beer blog fine for this thread? I'm on insta as underwhelmingbeerblog, give it a look if you're incredibly bored. I try to actually be honest about s**t instead of giving every local beer a 10/10.

Local bogan bottleO in bunno seems to forever have a lot of La Sirene on special, so I think that's all I be drinking for a while. Looking forward to imp stout/barleywine weather coming on soon enough.

Is plugging a shitty beer blog fine for this thread? I'm on insta as underwhelmingbeerblog, give it a look if you're incredibly bored. I try to actually be honest about s**t instead of giving every local beer a 10/10.

Local bogan bottleO in bunno seems to forever have a lot of La Sirene on special, so I think that's all I be drinking for a while. Looking forward to imp stout/barleywine weather coming on soon enough.

Of course it's fine, I did it :moustache: I do get annoyed at the local bloggers who have never had a bad beer supposedly. I get given beer to review but if it's no good I just often post nothing at all. My page is more a reflection of all the cool beers I've had rather than every beer Ive had with a good/bad review. Good luck with it. Beer blogging has become a pretty saturated game of late.

Yeah I just enjoy writing really. I'm never going to make any coin from it. I did a bunch of paid reviews for metal CDs back in the day which was fun but it gets hard talking about your 50th Darkthrone clone, just like it's hard writing about yet another session pale ale.

If it's bad, you gotta trash them! "loyalty" in this sense is gone as soon as you pay for a beer. You don't owe 'em anything. Rocky Ridge to pick one local example do some great brews but also some s**t ones.. feel like if it's not pointed out they'll never have any incentive to improve

Yeah I just enjoy writing really. I'm never going to make any coin from it. I did a bunch of paid reviews for metal CDs back in the day which was fun but it gets hard talking about your 50th Darkthrone clone, just like it's hard writing about yet another session pale ale.

If it's bad, you gotta trash them! "loyalty" in this sense is gone as soon as you pay for a beer. You don't owe 'em anything. Rocky Ridge to pick one local example do some great brews but also some s**t ones.. feel like if it's not pointed out they'll never have any incentive to improve
I like this approach. Craft beer used to be (somewhat) synonymous with quality beer, which is definitely not always the case now.

Plus there’s enough of a saturation of noobs who will only drink fruity IPAs starting up micros that you really can’t keep blindly supporting everyone anymore. There’s gotta be some critical appraisal.

Side notes:

• My passionfruit sour is overcarbed. Still drinkable though, and im glad I used PET bottles.
  • My hoppy saison has gone down to about 1.009 since pitching last Monday. Very impatient about this one, but I know it’ll take a while for it to completely finish.
  • Thinking of brewing a RIS this weekend in time for winter.... need a failsafe recipe

Side notes:

• My passionfruit sour is overcarbed. Still drinkable though, and im glad I used PET bottles.
  • My hoppy saison has gone down to about 1.009 since pitching last Monday. Very impatient about this one, but I know it’ll take a while for it to completely finish.
  • Thinking of brewing a RIS this weekend in time for winter.... need a failsafe recipe

Have you googled for any RIS clones? You'll find some excellent stuff from the states.

Have you googled for any RIS clones? You'll find some excellent stuff from the states.
I haven’t really no. I guess I just want a baby RIS. Like 8%.

I have found RIS recipes before but they’ve been in the double digits (as they probably should be) but it’s just a bit too risky for my processes at this stage

I haven’t really no. I guess I just want a baby RIS. Like 8%.

I have found RIS recipes before but they’ve been in the double digits (as they probably should be) but it’s just a bit too risky for my processes at this stage

Dial it back and keep your %s the same and you should go close

Back