Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Like the sound of this. Making me thirsty 2.

Currently cold crashing my NEIPA for a couple of days before bottling on Thursday. Ended up forgetting about the terradactyl rest but forgot about the past few brews too and haven't noticed anything too negative about them. Has gone well so far and I'm looking forward to having a taste in the coming weeks.

Also I too am preparing for the next batch in a few weeks time (mentioned it before) which will be an attempt at the Pirate Life NZ Pale Ale; Pale and Munich with some carapils and NZ Cascade, Motueka and Pacifica.

Personally I've always been more about the taste of things over the appearance, though I think there is a very small amount of merit in regards to the way a beer or food is presented I don't think it's the be all and end all.
Yeah for me I’m only caring about clarity if there’s a particular colour involved - eg. I hope this red doesn’t just appear as brown mud.

Motueka can be pretty subtle compared with the more tropical fruit hops so don’t be afraid to load up with it. I love it.

Yeah for me I’m only caring about clarity if there’s a particular colour involved - eg. I hope this red doesn’t just appear as brown mud.

Motueka can be pretty subtle compared with the more tropical fruit hops so don’t be afraid to load up with it. I love it.

You guys are far more advanced than I, and from your preferences it sounds like our palates are quite different too as I don't care a great deal for goses, sours etc. When I started I read through that How to Brew book and it almost completely put me off with how rigid and unfun it made the entire process sound, and even though I'm only half a dozen brews in I don't personally feel like pressuring myself into hitting targets as much as making a decently reliable and tasty beer and find myself trying to avoid too much techical stuff.

Granted my beers may never reach a level of others who do focus more on this stuff but I'm okay with that.

You guys are far more advanced than I, and from your preferences it sounds like our palates are quite different too as I don't care a great deal for goses, sours etc. When I started I read through that How to Brew book and it almost completely put me off with how rigid and unfun it made the entire process sound, and even though I'm only half a dozen brews in I don't personally feel like pressuring myself into hitting targets as much as making a decently reliable and tasty beer and find myself trying to avoid too much techical stuff.

Granted my beers may never reach a level of others who do focus more on this stuff but I'm okay with that.
I’m basically the same. Because I’ve only just gotten into all grain I’ve been measuring everything just to make sure I’m using the equipment properly, cos sometimes I wonder. but I don’t really care if I don’t hit targets otherwise.

I just came across the Brewtools single vessel unit after someone on PHBS was talking about it. Needless to say, I want one.

Link?

Edit: Found it. Is it basically a step up in quality from Grainfather?

Link?

Edit: Found it. Is it basically a step up in quality from Grainfather?

Essentially. Bigger size, a lot more versatility with added valves for recirculation, cooling, transfer, dumping any waste for easy cleaning, each part is removable to replace, software updates so you're not fixed into the sophistication of the year you buy a machine, plus they're working on being able to load in recipes off a third party platform like you can do with the new Thermomix.

I just came across the Brewtools single vessel unit after someone on PHBS was talking about it. Needless to say, I want one.
*, looks sexy af. Braumeister competition. I way prefer the shorter rounder single vessels than the tall skinny Robobrew. I’ll wait til it dies though. The Norwegians seem to be doing a bit in the homebrew space.

FKASC some scale for you on the Tilt:

View attachment 710215
Ventolin puffer is a very familiar item from my childhood so that’s a good scale to use. They’re smaller than I thought!

Keen on one of those Plaato Keg widgets too.

Bloody hell, do they think homebrewers struggle to read or something! Lol

#size16arial

View attachment 710270

Perhaps trying to pad it out, was surprised at the thickness of the book for the topic myself.

Any chance you could post up your red rye IPA recipe when you get a chance? Wouldn't mind giving it a look.

Perhaps trying to pad it out, was surprised at the thickness of the book for the topic myself.

Any chance you could post up your red rye IPA recipe when you get a chance? Wouldn't mind giving it a look.

Not sure whether it’s any good yet but here it is! It’s all a bit messy and I should have simplified the grain bill a bit but was trying to get some complexity goin on.

19-20 litre batch

2 kg Gladfield American Ale (30%)
1.9 kg Gladfield Ale (27%)
1.3 kg Gladfield Vienna (20%)
1.1 kg Weyermann malted rye (17%)
150 g Gladfield Aurora (2%)
150 g Gladfield Redback (2%)
200 g Gladfield Shepherds Delight (3%)
4 handfuls rice husks (1%)

Mashed at 65°

15 g Simcoe (30 min)
40 g Chinook (30 min)
40 g Citra (whirlpool, 75°)
40 g Simcoe (whirlpool, 75°)
40 g Motueka (whirlpool, 75°)
US-05 (two packs) fermed at 17°
Dry hop will be a combo of Simcoe and maybe Chinook, Lemondrop or Mandarina Bavaria. Haven’t sussed that out yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

El_ahrairah with the Tilt can you set it up so you receive an alert once it has reached a certain gravity?

Like can you tell it to notify you once it’s hit 1.015 or something like that?

El_ahrairah with the Tilt can you set it up so you receive an alert once it has reached a certain gravity?

Like can you tell it to notify you once it’s hit 1.015 or something like that?

I don't think so, it can log your fermentation data for cloud access reviewing but that's about it.

In my case it's out in the shed, so there's no constant Bluetooth or WiFi access for it to send alerts anyway. Like I have to go out and stand next to the fermentation fridge and launch the app to get readings.

I don't think so, it can log your fermentation data for cloud access reviewing but that's about it.

In my case it's out in the shed, so there's no constant Bluetooth or WiFi access for it to send alerts anyway. Like I have to go out and stand next to the fermentation fridge and launch the app to get readings.

Time to put a WiFi hotspot in the shed, man!

No probs. Could just monitor it manually I guess. Think I might invest in one once taxman arrives

150 g Gladfield Aurora (2%)
150 g Gladfield Redback (2%)
200 g Gladfield Shepherds Delight (3%)

So checking out your recipe and have a Sierra Nevada clone one I'm looking at too, I'm assuming these grains are mainly for colour? Do they affect the flavour of the beer a great deal?

These are SN ones:

320g caramel malt (40 °L)
43g chocolate malt

So checking out your recipe and have a Sierra Nevada clone one I'm looking at too, I'm assuming these grains are mainly for colour? Do they affect the flavour of the beer a great deal?

These are SN ones:

320g caramel malt (40 °L)
43g chocolate malt
The classic way of making red ales I think was to simply add a small amount of dark malt like choc or roasted barley. I don’t think the intention is for this small addition to add any real flavour. The caramel malt adds significant (sweet/fruity) flavour though.

Gladfield have a few malts (red back, shep and aurora) that are designed largely to be used for colour but also flavour. They’re melanoidin malts, which I don’t fully understand, but I think they’re basically very lightly toasted rather than partially converted into sugars (which is how caramel/crystal malt works). So you get a kind of baked biscuit, cake crust sweetness rather than sugary toffee/caramel sweetness.

That is kind of what I was aiming to achieve with my grain bill though it’s definitely an experiment.

I have been trying to avoid using crystal/caramel malts unless it’s an intentionally sweet beer, as I think they can taste overly sweet when the hop flavour inevitably starts to fade

The classic way of making red ales I think was to simply add a small amount of dark malt like choc or roasted barley. I don’t think the intention is for this small addition to add any real flavour. The caramel malt adds significant (sweet/fruity) flavour though.

Gladfield have a few malts (red back, shep and aurora) that are designed largely to be used for colour but also flavour. They’re melanoidin malts, which I don’t fully understand, but I think they’re basically very lightly toasted rather than partially converted into sugars (which is how caramel/crystal malt works). So you get a kind of baked biscuit, cake crust sweetness rather than sugary toffee/caramel sweetness.

That is kind of what I was aiming to achieve with my grain bill though it’s definitely an experiment.

I have been trying to avoid using crystal/caramel malts unless it’s an intentionally sweet beer, as I think they can taste overly sweet when the hop flavour inevitably starts to fade

Cheers 🍻

I’d be interested to see how it turns out if you go the SN route and compare the colour of the two methods. Out of the hydro mine looks pretty muddy and copper more than red, but it hasn’t been cold crashed or anything and it’s had a bit of yeast in it.

I’d be interested to see how it turns out if you go the SN route and compare the colour of the two methods. Out of the hydro mine looks pretty muddy and copper more than red, but it hasn’t been cold crashed or anything and it’s had a bit of yeast in it.

Pretty keen to give it a try so will keep you posted for sure.

It’s a good compromise between a winter and summer style beer

Yeah for sure, though I do like stouts and brown ales I can't have more than 2 in a sitting, but a nice red/rye/IPA I can have 4 of and it still be full flavoured and bodied enough to satisfy my wintery beer needs and they still hold well well into Spring too.

Back