BFL Bellarine Football League 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Port vs OG. Port got hammered by injuries to top end talent and had no bench by half time. Narbs Kelly, Tom Kelly (AC Joint), Sean Lucas (Broken Hand), Nick ONeill (ankle/ Achilles), Luke Williams(ankle) all cooked by half time or not long after. OG would’ve still got the win but Port looked competitive before the injuries hit.

Nothing unexpected from today’s results really! The ones you thought would get the job done have all done so.
Good to see/hear positive things coming out of Anglesea. They are going to be a serious contender come the end of the year!
I wasnt expecting Drysdale to beat my team Queenscliff. I was hoping Otis was going to weave his magic, but we will have to wait another week.

I wasnt expecting Drysdale to beat my team Queenscliff. I was hoping Otis was going to weave his magic, but we will have to wait another week.

I think Queenscliff are the interesting one. I’m not expecting a massive turn around in a short time with them. I think it will be not a slow burn as such but give it a season or two and they will build up nicely. Fairly significant change with Otis coming in. Very interested on how the rest of the year pans out for them.

Very disappointing. Almost, but not quite, as disappointing as Round 2 last season. Seems like the problem of a key forward to straighten them up hasn't been solved, all too reminiscent of early 2014 & 2015 when there was the mass exodus of quality forwards ( Mason, Grout, De Gois et al ) and last season after the debacle at Jurassic Park. Time to get on the blower to Canberra and get ' Big Mike ' to make a comeback....

Ammos sign another 6ft plus ex AFL rookie, wonder how their points and cap will be looking next week?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

How many points would Shepheard be? Have to be 5 wouldn't he? Ammos playing at 40 points this weekend and were on 40 in round 1 too so one or two blokes will have to get squeezed to accommodate him. Couple of recruits might be looking over there shoulder

Read in passing that our boys have numerous injuries already. Anyone able to quote a few names? Also what happened to Ben Price & French? The club website doesn't detail clearances involving them?

May I suggest checking their Facebook page? Just looking at that it has much more info and is regularly updated.

Nik Orvis, Jake Headley injured themselves in last weeks game.

Ben Price retired at the end of last season and De Gois must not be ready to go again yet.

May I suggest checking their Facebook page? Just looking at that it has much more info and is regularly updated.

Nik Orvis, Jake Headley injured themselves in last weeks game.

Ben Price retired at the end of last season and De Gois must not be ready to go again yet.
Cheers. Trying to keep up with any info over here in South Australia is practically hopeless and most of my old sources from playing days have moved on, and I usually have to wait till my traditional mid year trip home to catch up with all the info. I noticed the #6 Guernsey has been reallocated so that would suggest Frenchy is n longer on the list. Big loss. Although having said that, looks like Cam Habgood put in a ripper on Saturday, as did the rest of the boys. Great win! Maybe Otis' magic has started already? Reminds me so much of how Johnny Farrell used to be able to get us up for games against the big teams back in the days when we had a mortgage on 9th spot. Looking forward to a big win this week, although it is a bit sad if it does happen with Port on the receiving end. I'd rather someone else cop it than our northern neighbour.
Reading the posts in the thread, I thought it was rather ironic that I was in my local Woolworths when I saw we hit the front and started to run away.. might have been some sort of subliminal message in that ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good on them. It’s good for footy I reckon. I reckon Port might pinch a few when they get their better players back from injury and then we will have a nice, even comp.

Good on them. It’s good for footy I reckon. I reckon Port might pinch a few when they get their better players back from injury and then we will have a nice, even comp.
Hmm...as long as it doesn't get to the point where it resembles the Artificial Football League where there are more ' upsets ' than predictable results on a weekly basis, which leads one to form the opinion that the competition's integrity is severely compromised - or to be more blunt, non existent - and to pick apart everything that looks even remotely ' suss ' ( umpiring decisions, individual efforts, etc et al ) to back up that hypothesis as well as wondering if Gillon McLaughlin is actually Hansie Cronje in disguise. ( Apologies to all those yarpies out there.. )
I wouldn't get too carried away with that effort by Port though, we have always struggled against them at Boat Road and even at home ( remember 2015? ) and due to a long standing classic North - South rivalry it's never an easy get against them. From a distance it looks like there was a howling gale at one end of the ground, anyone who was there confirm that? And again, it's pretty obvious we need a spearhead up front to straighten us up. Frenchy, where TF are you?? Maybe we can clone another Big Mike or ' Scoot ' Coltish?
As for the Dino's, well - you have to feel for Drizzledale, just like when we drew against them last year in round 2. It's a lot like getting knocked back by the town bike. You know it should be easy - and when it doesn't happen, it's really embarrassing and demoralising. Be interesting to see how they respond after that....
On top of that, this week it's about time our boys taught Modewarre some respect for the Fishbowl and kicked their arse right back over Crows Nest and out past The Narrows, back to the middle of nowhere. How long has it been since we beat them at home? It's got to be the first example of a home ground hoodoo I've ever heard of.

Last edited:
Hmm...as long as it doesn't get to the point where it resembles the Artificial Football League where there are more ' upsets ' than predictable results on a weekly basis, which leads one to form the opinion that the competition's integrity is severely compromised - or to be more blunt, non existent - and to pick apart everything that looks even remotely ' suss ' ( umpiring decisions, individual efforts, etc et al ) to back up that hypothesis as well as wondering if Gillon McLaughlin is actually Hansie Cronje in disguise. ( Apologies to all those yarpies out there.. )
I wouldn't get too carried away with that effort by Port though, we have always struggled against them at Boat Road and even at home ( remember 2015? ) and due to a long standing classic North - South rivalry it's never an easy get against them. From a distance it looks like there was a howling gale at one end of the ground, anyone who was there confirm that? And again, it's pretty obvious we need a spearhead up front to straighten us up. Frenchy, where TF are you?? Maybe we can clone another Big Mike or ' Scoot ' Coltish?
As for the Dino's, well - you have to feel for Drizzledale, just like when we drew against them last year in round 2. It's a lot like getting knocked back by the town bike. You know it should be easy - and when it doesn't happen, it's really embarrassing and demoralising. Be interesting to see how they respond after that....
On top of that, this week it's about time our boys taught Modewarre some respect for the Fishbowl and kicked their arse right back over Crows Nest and out past The Narrows, back to the middle of nowhere. How long has it been since we beat them at home? It's got to be the first example of a home ground hoodoo I've ever heard of.

Where is Ros lads? and who is coming down to the GDFL at this early stage in your opinions, this Lighthouse bloke will have kittens if its Queenscliff haha - and remember if you do drop back its 80K salary cap, would that bother any of them in the firing range?

Where is Ros lads? and who is coming down to the GDFL at this early stage in your opinions, this Lighthouse bloke will have kittens if its Queenscliff haha - and remember if you do drop back its 80K salary cap, would that bother any of them in the firing range?
I don't think we have anything to worry about, we'll win enough games to stay up, just like the 25 year bleak period from about 1980 thru 2005, we won enough games to stay off the bottom but never enough to get above 8th or 9th. So no kittens here just yet.
I'd still have my money on Port or Newcomb to go down, hopefully Newcomb, as my personal dislike for them goes back a long way and a few smashed noses, it's fair to say I've enjoyed handing out some kickings to them in recent years after the 80s and 90s.
Aside from the jousting, I'm a bit perplexed. I've followed as much as is possible about the restructure over here ( which given the small town mentality is practically impossible ) but I'm a bit nonplussed as to how a Bellarine club can go down - I thought the Bellarine league was the third tier? Anyone care to explain?

I don't think we have anything to worry about, we'll win enough games to stay up, just like the 25 year bleak period from about 1980 thru 2005, we won enough games to stay off the bottom but never enough to get above 8th or 9th. So no kittens here just yet.
I'd still have my money on Port or Newcomb to go down, hopefully Newcomb, as my personal dislike for them goes back a long way and a few smashed noses, it's fair to say I've enjoyed handing out some kickings to them in recent years after the 80s and 90s.
Aside from the jousting, I'm a bit perplexed. I've followed as much as is possible about the restructure over here ( which given the small town mentality is practically impossible ) but I'm a bit nonplussed as to how a Bellarine club can go down - I thought the Bellarine league was the third tier? Anyone care to explain?
Bellarine is the second tier. At the end of this year if it all goes ahead, the bottom two GFL clubs will join the BFL and the bottom two BFL clubs will join the GDFL. After that it is promotion relegation where the top club goes up and the bottom drops down.

Bellarine is the second tier. At the end of this year if it all goes ahead, the bottom two GFL clubs will join the BFL and the bottom two BFL clubs will join the GDFL. After that it is promotion relegation where the top club goes up and the bottom drops down.
Cheers. Similar to the old VFA ( now the VFL ) then although as I recalled it restructured to admit 4 new clubs to make it 12 in each division just before I started playing at Werribee in 1984. By the way I meant no offence to your club - Sadly memories linger and you guys used to use us as percentage boost fodder back in my day and unfortunately too many of our games were marred by brawls. For some reason I just don't think we liked each other's aftershave.

Cheers. Similar to the old VFA ( now the VFL ) then although as I recalled it restructured to admit 4 new clubs to make it 12 in each division just before I started playing at Werribee in 1984. By the way I meant no offence to your club - Sadly memories linger and you guys used to use us as percentage boost fodder back in my day and unfortunately too many of our games were marred by brawls. For some reason I just don't think we liked each other's aftershave.
No offence taken. Over the last 10 years I’ve developed a pretty thick skin when it comes to Newcomb. I’ve heard much worse than that.

No offence taken. Over the last 10 years I’ve developed a pretty thick skin when it comes to Newcomb. I’ve heard much worse than that.
Yes, I hear you, the 1980s and 1990s were like that for us. Only Winchelsea and St Leonards saved us from having the best stocked kitchen on the Peninsula.

Who was stiff to miss out on the inter league squad? Meesen, Cartelli, Hebbard, Blake Grant Matt O'Dwyer off the top of my head should be in. Maybe they are too old but then taht doesnt explain the selection of Brad King, Dodds, Paul Mcmahon. Couple of surprising names from Barwon Heads in among them. Wade McSparron got dropped by his old man and he still makes the squad. No doubt he has talent though. Bit of a head scratcher

Who was stiff to miss out on the inter league squad? Meesen, Cartelli, Hebbard, Blake Grant Matt O'Dwyer off the top of my head should be in. Maybe they are too old but then taht doesnt explain the selection of Brad King, Dodds, Paul Mcmahon. Couple of surprising names from Barwon Heads in among them. Wade McSparron got dropped by his old man and he still makes the squad. No doubt he has talent though. Bit of a head scratcher

I don’t think any new players to the comp should be considered in their 1st season

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back