Bendigo FL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Just read Hosking has left Sandhurst. The number of departures from the league is far outweighing the number coming in. Not good signs for what was once a premier comp.

Just read Hosking has left Sandhurst. The number of departures from the league is far outweighing the number coming in. Not good signs for what was once a premier comp.
There are people on here wanting to reduce the points for the top sides to even the competition. Now their are a few good players leaving which will even the comp and we are worried the standard is dropping.We can’t have it both ways.

not getting into debt like Castlemaine

Apart from a year or two when the wrong people managed to take control, one thing Castlemaine doesn’t do is go into debt.

Plenty of safeguards in place to make sure the money can’t be spent by any rogue elements.

Come on Forest, say what you like about the AFL CV in other areas, but they are not responsible for players leaving clubs at the end of the season. That is unfair.

I just see it as another symptom of a sick league and a sick region, which is very much on AFL CV

All around I see clubs announcing big signings and plenty of excitement building for next year.

Apart from Castlemaine (with a very low bar) which clubs in the league would have supporters who are up and about at the thought of next season?

I know it’s still October but there’s no buzz around at all, which mirrors most of the season and finals series.

Yep there's hardly any Peter currans coming into the league to coach is there, bendigo and the gv are both struggling now to get ex afl players to play and coach in their leagues, guys tend to stay metro, geelong, bellarine or the o&m gone are the days of ex afl players sprinkled throughout leagues across the state coaching and setting up junior footy, as they become players kids look up to growing up

Yep there's hardly any Peter currans coming into the league to coach is there, bendigo and the gv are both struggling now to get ex afl players to play and coach in their leagues, guys tend to stay metro, geelong, bellarine or the o&m gone are the days of ex afl players sprinkled throughout leagues across the state coaching and setting up junior footy, as they become players kids look up to growing up

There are currently 5 ex afl players coaching in the gv. What’s the most there have been at one time do you think ?

Not the same calibre of players, Echuca had eishold, scholl and Sheldon late 90s early 2000s, dirty at rochy, Hotton and mensch at Mansfield, tat had hawke, esler, mark Richardson, in that period, it was the premier league in the state, look now rochys best and fairest Jansen was playing seconds for st marys in Geelong come finals the next year, that's a big difference in the drop off of the gv

There are people on here wanting to reduce the points for the top sides to even the competition. Now their are a few good players leaving which will even the comp and we are worried the standard is dropping.We can’t have it both ways.

Would be very interested to know if strong teams find the points allocation an issue when recruiting gun players or if they just can’t attract them regardless.

If it was the former it would mean AFL Victoria’s point system has been an unmitigated failure on both ends of the spectrum.

Not the same calibre of players, Echuca had eishold, scholl and Sheldon late 90s early 2000s, dirty at rochy, Hotton and mensch at Mansfield, tat had hawke, esler, mark Richardson, in that period, it was the premier league in the state, look now rochys best and fairest Jansen was playing seconds for st marys in Geelong come finals the next year, that's a big difference in the drop off of the gv
Yeah agree there but I actually think the wheel is turning again for gv. Waite, walker and Barnard all decent afl careers and coaching. 15 or so afl players coming into the league in the last couple of years. Probably a better convo for the gv thread.
In fairness to janson he has a fair cv in playing good footy in good state comps, maybe this year was an off year. Atley also won the BnF last year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be very interested to know if strong teams find the points allocation an issue when recruiting gun players or if they just can’t attract them regardless.

If it was the former it would mean AFL Victoria’s point system has been an unmitigated failure on both ends of the spectrum.
The points system is killing football. Clubs can't recruit, minor leagues now drawing more players than ever from once Premier competitions. The Bendigo league is dying and nothing is being done to alleviate it! The league cannot compete with Metro club payments. One of the VFL's top players, probably its best was offered 70K just to play for a particular club.

The points system is killing football. Clubs can't recruit, minor leagues now drawing more players than ever from once Premier competitions. The Bendigo league is dying and nothing is being done to alleviate it! The league cannot compete with Metro club payments. One of the VFL's top players, probably its best was offered 70K just to play for a particular club.
One issue all country leagues need to push back on is the player points allocations to metro clubs.

Most country leagues have a graded points system whereby the wooden spooner is allocated the maximum 46 (or thereabouts) and it’s a decreasing sliding scale from there with the premier around 38 points.

In the city every club has the maximum 46 points regardless of what division they play in, their league and their ladder position from the season prior.

It means each and every metro club has a structural advantage in recruiting from country clubs.

It’s hard enough to get contend with the population shift from the country to the city as kids finish school and go to uni or chase work. It’s considerably harder to get these kids to travel back when every club in Melbourne has extra points to use trying to recruit them.

If the same system was adopted state wide it’d mean a lot of metro clubs would be one or two new recruits short in their points budgets. Extrapolate those numbers out across every league in Melbourne and all of a sudden there’s a hell of a lot more players travelling home of a weekend to play at their original clubs.

I would say the salary cap has more to do with it than the points. It’s just easier for district sides to hide payments and exceed the cap. I know birchip have paid blokes by giving them free chemicals for farming. Can’t even imagine what hosking would be getting paid at birchip. The good sides in Bendigo don’t go anywhere near the max points as they mostly keep their good junior players.

I would say the salary cap has more to do with it than the points. It’s just easier for district sides to hide payments and exceed the cap. I know birchip have paid blokes by giving them free chemicals for farming. Can’t even imagine what hosking would be getting paid at birchip. The good sides in Bendigo don’t go anywhere near the max points as they mostly keep their good junior players.
What Salary cap? The points system is easily monitored whereas the Salary Cap is a different kettle of fish. Yep a couple of teams have paid the ultimate price but I could name plenty of clubs that would blow it up with the players they have.

No doubt the salary cap, and AFL Victoria’s inability to enforce it, is a serious problem. That’s irrelevant to the point I’m making.

The points system can’t be cheated. It’s open for everyone to see. If the metro clubs have a leg up over country clubs there’s an inherent problem.

No doubt the salary cap, and AFL Victoria’s inability to enforce it, is a serious problem. That’s irrelevant to the point I’m making.

The points system can’t be cheated. It’s open for everyone to see. If the metro clubs have a leg up over country clubs there’s an inherent problem.
It can be cheated and it has been.

It can be cheated and it has been.
The system isn't right. It consumes talk on most forums so that indicates that it is a long way from being the panacea that was initially promised.Country football is going backwards, the standard is a mile off what it was a decade ago. The Bendigo League is in trouble and district clubs are having a field day, recruiting quality players from it. In the "Olden Days" it was a privilege to be asked to train or play with a Major League club.

Yep the problem is the points system put melbourne clubs at a far bigger advantage, they are allowing them more salary and points than country clubs, add in the ammos a grade points system, and all country clubs outside of geelong are poorly disadvantaged

Too true.The money on offer in the Hdfl and lvfl is outrageous.
A more relaxed environment plus extra $$$ is too tempting for many so happy to leave for a lower standard..Some metro and country clubs expect players to train 3 nights a week which dont suit lots of fellas too busy busting their arse working,uni and family commitments..
Salary cap should be scrapped and points allocation tweaked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back