Reserves
Finlayson Keefe Buntine
Perryman Stein Pick 11 (Duursma)
Cumming Bonar Pick 19 (I. Hill)
Lloyd Sproule Pick 25 (Stack)
Reid Briggs (match bid) D. Buckley
Flynn Shipley pick 9 (C. Jones)

J. Buckley Walker (rookie) ... ...

If we can get Jones with pick 9, Duursma with 11, Hill with 19 and Stack/Cameron with 25, would fix alot of the speed/acceleration lacking in our current lineup. Jones and Hill both have elite acceleration and endurance and whilst not Scully levels of endurance, will still be very handy. Have seen Hill's kicking and would have to say the way he finds targets is impressive. Stack/Cameron would be manic up forward and Duursma has acceleration and leadership with flexibility to play down back and through the midfield. Im sure Caruso and Quayle with do a ripper job.

Long-Term Injury: Patton, Tiziani
Retired: Mohr

Last edited:
Chayce Jones at 9 is probably too early for mine, but understand the rationale. If we keep our existing picks, it will be fascinating to see who they select. Duursma early, Hill at 19 I would be happy with. Jones as a later pick, or O'Halloran, Ely Smith as other options.

People saying our window is closing are kidding themselves. The list is as good as it has been. More role players with plenty of stars plus development of young stars. The trading of established stars for high picks will continue to happen which will mean we continually stay at the pointy end for a long time. Get our attitude right ala Collingwood, Richmond, Eagles and we can climb Everest (multiple times).

People saying our window is closing are kidding themselves. The list is as good as it has been. More role players with plenty of stars plus development of young stars. The trading of established stars for high picks will continue to happen which will mean we continually stay at the pointy end for a long time. Get our attitude right ala Collingwood, Richmond, Eagles and we can climb Everest (multiple times).
I'm not sure about the trading thing. Ultimately the growing pains will end at some point I think. But yeah we are being compensated and not about to implode.

I think some are underestimating the guys effort in in the semi-final. I have no doubt in front of a big crowd at the MCG in a high pressure game, and getting smashed in the contest early, we would have collapsed in previous years. To fight it out and stay in it until early in the last QTR shiwllowed real mental toughness to me.

More of a worry to me personally is why the Pies, Demons, and even North and the Bombers at critical times, were able to smash us in the midfield. I dont know why it happened but consistent performance by the mids is what I wish for next year. The capacity for the flag is definitely there.

Bombers was definitely a concern, and Melbourne in the last as well. Both times it felt like we had players out there that we probably shouldn't have but also we neither pressured nor got first hands to the ball, especially against the Bombers.

North was unfortunate - a five or six goal breeze in the first three quarters that died right as we had it in the fourth.

B: Shaw, Davis, Haynes
HB: Williams, Tomlinson, Corr
C: Deludio, Ward, Whitfield
HF: Greene, Cameron, Langdon
F: Himmelberg, Patton, De Boar
FOLL: Mumford, Cogniglio, Kelly
IC: Hopper, Taranto, Finlayson, Reid

B: Shaw, Davis, Haynes
HB: Williams, Tomlinson, Corr
C: Deludio, Ward, Whitfield
HF: Greene, Cameron, Langdon
F: Himmelberg, Patton, De Boar
FOLL: Mumford, Cogniglio, Kelly
IC: Hopper, Taranto, Finlayson, Reid

I can only see Patton playing at the end of next season due to his ACL injury, and I would see one of Bonar or Perryman coming in for him. Finlayson is a chance but i would think Adam Kennedy would be more likely as the team you have listed has enough Talls

AFL.com.au have released their best 22 and I would say pretty close just Patton out for one of the small forward/mids IMO and I think a big debate will be 2 or 3 talls + Haynes

GWS-header.png

B: Heath Shaw, Aidan Corr, Nick Haynes
HB: Zac Williams, Phil Davis, Adam Kennedy
C: Josh Kelly, Callan Ward, Lachie Whitfield
HF: Brett Deledio, Jeremy Cameron, Toby Greene
F: Zac Langdon, Jon Patton, Harry Himmelberg
FOLL: Dawson Simpson, Stephen Coniglio, Jacob Hopper
I/C Tim Taranto, Adam Tomlinson, Matt de Boer, Sam Taylor

The Giants still boast an impressive squad on paper, the biggest question is, can they get and keep these players on the field. The midfield is still quality given Lachie Whitfield can move back to the wing after a brilliant year in defence, and the back half is extremely solid. Dawson Simpson has no back-up at this stage but that could change if Shane Mumford comes out of retirement. Jon Patton won't feature until the second half of the year, and even then his mobility could be an issue. Plenty of scoring responsibility falls on the shoulders of Toby Greene and Jeremy Cameron, so the midfielders will again need to chip in on the scoreboard. - Adam Curley

Will be interesting to see how Shaw comes back from injury and wouldn't be surprised if we start transitioning to life without him
Though Bunts would be the obvious ready-made replacement, I feel he is more an experienced depth player for us now. Would like to see improvement from Perryman/Cumming to take on that role or even Duursma/Butters/Clark if we draft one of them and they have a good preseason.

Though Bunts would be the obvious ready-made replacement, I feel he is more an experienced depth player for us now. Would like to see improvement from Perryman/Cumming to take on that role or even Duursma/Butters/Clark if we draft one of them and they have a good preseason.
Buntine got really exposed in that semi

Buntine got really exposed in that semi
Admittedly he did get exposed, but few players on our list would have been able to cover De Goey with his unique blend of strength, height and speed. I dont believe that Perryman or Cumming would have done any better. Haynes was eventually moved onto him from memory and was probably our best bet. A team effort is probably required to negate De Goey but was obvious the way Collingwood cleared their whole forward 50 out that Bunts was always going to struggle one on one. Duursma looks to be the player with burst acceleration, strength and leadership who might fill that gap. Medium height at 184cm, hope he can play a kind of Hurn anchor role for us - not as good a kick but is faster and more creative. That being said, if we draft him for that role and excels beyond expectations, I can see two of Buntine, Finlayson, Perryman and Cumming looking elsewhere by the end of next year due to lack of opportunities.

Admittedly he did get exposed, but few players on our list would have been able to cover De Goey with his unique blend of strength, height and speed. I dont believe that Perryman or Cumming would have done any better. Haynes was eventually moved onto him from memory and was probably our best bet. A team effort is probably required to negate De Goey but was obvious the way Collingwood cleared their whole forward 50 out that Bunts was always going to struggle one on one. Duursma looks to be the player with burst acceleration, strength and leadership who might fill that gap. Medium height at 184cm, hope he can play a kind of Hurn anchor role for us - not as good a kick but is faster and more creative. That being said, if we draft him for that role and excels beyond expectations, I can see two of Buntine, Finlayson, Perryman and Cumming looking elsewhere by the end of next year due to lack of opportunities.
I don’t think we will draft anyone with the half back line in mind. This year it has to be about inside and running midfielders

Also, in relation to the de goey discussion.... sometimes good forwards play well. That’s ok. When Toby gets off the hook are we looking at his defender and talking about how s**t they are?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is that while Buntine had a bad game against the Pies, it was far from his only bad game after his return...

Next year will have to be a rebound year for him.
If he can improve his decision making, kicking and leg speed/acceleration off the mark (though understandably can be hard after a knee reco) he would probably be a first team player. That is alot of things to improve in one offseason though and not sure about it. Has a good height to take both smalls and talls and reasonably strong. De Goey just sped off him in every contest and played to his strengths. Hard to use his defensive skills (body work, spoiling, etc.) when hes not even in the contest. Much to play out but at the moment but I would have Perryman > Buntine > Finlayson > Cumming. Not sure whether Cumming ends up playing half back/wing, but do feel he probably has the biggest upside of the 4. Has the weapons in good running, speed and kicking, with flexibility to also push into the midfield but just needs to piece his game together.

The problem is that while Buntine had a bad game against the Pies, it was far from his only bad game after his return...

Next year will have to be a rebound year for him.
Fair call
In my view it's Bunts ir Taylor. Hope there's no afteraffects from his ACL.

We have enough youth. We should be bringing in more solid, mature age role players.
Perhaps we should accept another team's 2019 first in a trade then to get even better quality with our draft picks, as can get mature age role players from delisted free agents. We could try to trade 9, 11 our 2019 second for St Kildas pick 4, and 2019 first. Or the same trade except replace st Kilda with gold coast, targeting their pick 6.

This is the best draft in a very long time, we spend the current coin on youth for mine
I think teams should be careful not to over-invest in the draft these days with player movement being so liquid. Get your team up into the top 8 or 4 and then keep recruiting in mature players.

I think teams should be careful not to over-invest in the draft these days with player movement being so liquid. Get your team up into the top 8 or 4 and then keep recruiting in mature players.
Especially for interstate clubs. It is so costly to invest 2 or 3 years into a good young player only to have them leave for next to nothing. They don’t make for quality depth either at that point in their careers.
For example, rather than have picks 9 and 11 I’d try and get pick 6. Having excess young players is a net loss for us.
I think a good example of how we should do it is the Taranto case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back