News Best22Under22

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree they both should have been in, I had Bolton on the bench.

Mcgrath still the first one picked though and he not being in peoples teams was an embarrassment.

Not arguing, are you suggesting McGrath is the best under* 22 in the land, so for the record, drafted 2016, debut 2017, played 78 games.

- Cannot be 23yrs old during this season (Basically the kids from the 2016 to 2019 draft).
- Based on output not potential

I'm glad I'm not the only one. How Rankine gets in over Allen...one actually performs, and one is a dead set show pony!

Dont worry about Oscar, better he's not rated at all than simply :'( under rated ... ruckman, key forward, every week, his one game down back suggests a key role down there.
Output not potential.

Dont worry about Oscar, better he's not rated at all than simply :'( under rated ... ruckman, key forward, every week, his one game down back suggests a key role down there.
Output not potential.

It is still weird Rankine is picked over him lol

I know which one I’m picking and it ain’t the GC show pony

It is still weird Rankine is picked over him lol

I know which one I’m picking and it ain’t the GC show pony

Usually easy to over rate kids in year 1, & if you stick to comparing Allen with the selected talls (on ball & key forwards) Oscar is their equal on exposed 2020 form.​

Last edited:
You argue King being in a better side means he has more opportunities

Carlton averages more inside 50s by week. By what logic does King have more opportunities to perform?

Basically you have it backwards. King doesn't have more opportunities because we are a better team. Our midfield is not good. We are a better team because King is our KPF (and presenting a great contest everytime we go forward).

Along with our 3 young defenders (2 of which are also in this side), King is a massive part of the reason we went from being a mediocre team last year, to a top 6 team this year (that lost 4 games by under a goal). McKay is part of the reason Carlton went from being a mediocre 7 win bottom 4 team, to a mediocre 7 win bottom 8 team. King's impact on us becoming a better team is huge. McKay's impact on your mild improvement is somewhere around decent.

Max has more contested marks, yet averages less marks I50. May suggest he actually gets up around the ground to help out. Yes he has one less goal from a couple more games, but that doesnt take into account the work up the ground, the crumbs he creates (see Butler making the AA squad) or the goals he has given away (we kick the most goals inside 15 metres in the league because our marking players usually kick / handball to runners working out the back to take easier shots). More to it then just 'he kicked more goals'.

As for my post, I acknowledged we play most weeks with a resting ruck (Marshall or Ryder). Battle has spent most of the year on a wing or as a high half forward. Hasn't really played as a KPF all year. King remains our sole KPF almost every week.

McKay is a good player. But very very few neutral supporters would think McKay had a better year, or would take McKay over either King

Exhibit A: the U22 team

Based on the numbers (average per game played) this year Harry kicked more goals, had more inside 50's, took more contested marks, more marks inside 50, more tackles, more disposals and they were equal in score involvements and 1%rs.

Based on the numbers (average per game played) this year Harry kicked more goals, had more inside 50's, took more contested marks, more marks inside 50, more tackles, more disposals and they were equal in score involvements and 1%rs.

Do the raw numbers paint a different picture?

Nah you are looking purely at stats. King gets double and tripple teamed for a reason which leads to our other players like Butler and Lonie sweeping up the mess when King brings the ball to ground. His worth to the team is vast.

King did his ACL essentially missing two years and coming straight into it as the main forward in his first year. He gets manhandled constantly without umpire support and that's fine because when he fills out a bit he will shrug everyone off with ease.

Harries also close to the 50 game point where if the penny has dropped it never will.

If you want to compare this year as you are doing, sure Mckay is going well but blind freddy can see Max King will be the best key forward going around in two years time.

I have to admit, I use to kind of see this as a Participation Award in some regards. Nice and all, but doesn't mean much.

Now I just think it's a random list of 22 players who are kind of youngish.

Any credibility it was hanging on to has gone now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back