BFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t handle the cold weather?
The lights aren’t good enough to see properly as a supporter. Like at Mars. Also cold, much colder at night. Also, who wants to be driving from Ballarat at 10pm after a game of footy. The games are also at a very poor standard. And also socially, people have things to do on Saturday night. Having to play footy at night is just an unnecessary inconvenience
If the Ballarat clubs want it they can have it to themselves.

THREE former AFL stars, and a Tiwi Bombers captain, will all make their debut for Melton South this weekend when the Panthers play host to Redan on Saturday.

AFL stars Jeff Garlett, who played 185 games with Carlton and Melton, Harley Bennell, who played 88 games with Gold Coast, Melbourne and Fremantle and Sam Darley, who played 20 career games with the GWS Giants and Western Bulldogs will all run out with the Panthers on Saturday.
The club will also debut captain of the Tiwi Bombers Brendan Kantilla along with key position player Darby Schilder and youngster Jarrod Bibby, who will help strengthen the team which has struggled in the opening two games of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems like they've called in reinforcements to chase a win.
If they've dropped players who have fronted up for some of their heavy losses, it could cause headaches longer term.
Think you might find they have been playing a lot of 19s who might drop back for a week or so.

Unless they are there for the rest of the year, I really don’t get the point of it either
Brings a lot of excitement to the game/league. What is the difference when other clubs play there VFL aligned players for 1 or 2 games during the season..
I recall Nth Ballarat playing Glover against South at South.
East Point played Ottavi when he kicked an absolute bag at South. Think he only played that 1 game during the season.. He was a regular at VFL then.

Please tell us the difference other than these players tomorrow will plenty of excitement to the league plus give the boys a lot of incentive to get a win.

The question I have long term is do the league want to assist South with continuing to stay in the BFNL? Because if not do they look at options like Riddell for example.

The difference would be your VFL listed players are, at worst, a slim chance to play the required 3 games to qualify for finals. A lot of cases it’s a long shot I know, but injuries, loss of form, etc can happen

And a lot of the time VFL players align with their junior club. Like Glover.

If Garlett, Darley & Bennell were a possibility to play 3 games and South were in finals contention, then I could see the reasoning.

But agree it might bring abit of excitement and liven the place Up short term. But long term, I dunno

Last edited:
Glover is a North Ballarat junior who plays whenever VFL commitments allow, including last year's Grand Final.
Ottavi was told to nominate a "major" league club otherwise he'd have been at his local club, Buninyong.
A sizable difference between that & a few blow-ins for what appears to be a one off game.

The league has attempted to help them & most would like to see them improve, it's just hard to understand the rationale behind this.
Nothing against any of those playing but them playing 1 game doesn't really move the needle in the big picture, if anything those tapped on the shoulder to make way for them might become disgruntled.

Brings a lot of excitement to the game/league. What is the difference when other clubs play there VFL aligned players for 1 or 2 games during the season..
I recall Nth Ballarat playing Glover against South at South.
East Point played Ottavi when he kicked an absolute bag at South. Think he only played that 1 game during the season.. He was a regular at VFL then.

Please tell us the difference other than these players tomorrow will plenty of excitement to the league plus give the boys a lot of incentive to get a win.

The question I have long term is do the league want to assist South with continuing to stay in the BFNL? Because if not do they look at options like Riddell for example.
You don’t see the difference between other teams playing their VFL aligned players, to South playing blokes for 1 game? Glover is a North player who is a 1 pointer. Ottavi is an East premiership player.

And I hate to dwell on the negatives, but those 3 ex AFL players aren’t big enough names to draw much more people than usual through the gates I would of thought.

The difference would be your VFL listed players are, at worst, a slim chance to play the required 3 games to qualify for finals. A lot of cases it’s a long shot I know, but injuries, loss of form, etc can happen

And a lot of the time VFL players align with their junior club. Like Glover.

If Garlett, Darley & Bennell were a possibility to play 3 games and South were in finals contention, then I could see the reasoning.

But agree it might bring abit of excitement and liven the place Up short term. But long term, I dunno
Who mentioned it’s a one off?? 😉😉

You don’t see the difference between other teams playing their VFL aligned players, to South playing blokes for 1 game? Glover is a North player who is a 1 pointer. Ottavi is an East premiership player.
So Ottavi is an EP junior. I’m sure he played only the 1 game. So did he put another player out?
Let’s be fair here. South have no players in a regular VFL spot nor Coates league so what’s the difference

Remove this Banner Ad

Back