BFL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Breaking

BFNL 2023: 153-game Tiger announced as Sunbury coach

By Edward Holland
October 2 2023 - 5:55pm

Sunbury has found its Travis Hodgson replacement with a "prodigal son" returning to his boyhood club.
Former Richmond and Port Adelaide player Matt White will coach Sunbury in 2024.
The 36-year-old will lead the Lions in a non-playing role.
Sunbury President Jack Medcraft said the Sunbury junior always wanted to return home as senior coach.
"The first thing he said to me was he wanted to come back to Sunbury and win a flag," Medcraft said.
"To have a former AFL player say he wants to come back to his home club is fantastic.
"He's played at the top level and has played under some good coaches it can only help us promote our juniors more."
Sunbury and Travis Hodgson mutually agreed to part ways at the end of the 2023 season, allowing the Coburg VFL assistant coach to take the role.
"Matt is the man that we're all pinning our hopes on and we're pretty confident that he's going to produce the goods," Medcraft said.
White played 105 games for Richmond from 2006 to 2013 before joining Port Adelaide in 2014.
He played a further 48 games for the Power before retiring at the end of the 2017 season.
He won goal of the year in his first season with Port Adelaide against his old side.
Sunbury finished the year in seventh, missing out on a top-six spot in the final match of the BFNL season.

Breaking

BFNL 2023: 153-game Tiger announced as Sunbury coach

By Edward Holland
October 2 2023 - 5:55pm

Sunbury has found its Travis Hodgson replacement with a "prodigal son" returning to his boyhood club.
Former Richmond and Port Adelaide player Matt White will coach Sunbury in 2024.
The 36-year-old will lead the Lions in a non-playing role.
Sunbury President Jack Medcraft said the Sunbury junior always wanted to return home as senior coach.
"The first thing he said to me was he wanted to come back to Sunbury and win a flag," Medcraft said.
"To have a former AFL player say he wants to come back to his home club is fantastic.
"He's played at the top level and has played under some good coaches it can only help us promote our juniors more."
Sunbury and Travis Hodgson mutually agreed to part ways at the end of the 2023 season, allowing the Coburg VFL assistant coach to take the role.
"Matt is the man that we're all pinning our hopes on and we're pretty confident that he's going to produce the goods," Medcraft said.
White played 105 games for Richmond from 2006 to 2013 before joining Port Adelaide in 2014.
He played a further 48 games for the Power before retiring at the end of the 2017 season.
He won goal of the year in his first season with Port Adelaide against his old side.
Sunbury finished the year in seventh, missing out on a top-six spot in the final match of the BFNL season.
This shall be interesting… 🤔

Please fill
Gonna leave us hanging ?
I know Matt, never could have imagined him being the type of communicator for coaching. A few people who know him felt the same when they first heard him announced coach. Obviously though with plenty of exposure at high level footy now he may have improved that side of it. I hope he does well and creates some good relationships with players at the club. Might be able to attract a couple of quality pieces through connections too which could be good.

Some of the quotes from the Sunbury president in the media put the blame right on Hodgson

Medcraft conceded the club underperformed this year, narrowly missing the finals after finishing seventh.

“I think it was inexperience and a new game plan, new method of coaching (that cost us) and sometimes you can get a bit stale,” Medcraft said.

Weird quote, Stale from new things ? ...

Medcraft conceded the club underperformed this year, narrowly missing the finals after finishing seventh.

“I think it was inexperience and a new game plan, new method of coaching (that cost us) and sometimes you can get a bit stale,” Medcraft said.

Weird quote, Stale from new things ? ...

Medcraft is a politician , he wouldnt know. Although i agree they did underachieve.

Interesting to see how Sunbury go, good luck to em. Bit off the pace this season from viewing afar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No lessons learnt. Over the last decade can anyone think of someone South has recruited that has stayed there longer than 2 or 3 years? Or a coach
Pretty sure you might find that Pritchard coached for 4.5years and is still involved involved at the club. They need to recruit and this is an excellent start which hopefully gathers momentum for the club in some way. The games I’ve watched in this league you do need some experience mixed with youth. I think Hodgson is a great pick up for them as his from the surrounding area and knows the league well. Yes recruits cost $$ an even locals returning come at a cost but if they “buy” in and give there all then I don’t see an issue if you have the coin.

Yep, he will likely be there for a year or two.
You'd hope that they aren't dishing out megabucks & that he can help provide a platform for them to build from.
Yeah I’m thinking he might finish his footy at South and possibly play 2-3 years. He’s always been in good shape and never carried weight. As McGuane said, his a player who can play in multiple positions so difficult to plan against.

Last year South appear to be focusing on youth in the end, so if he can pass on his knowledge and leadership on & off field to these younger players it will be worth the investment long term. And if he gets going, this league should really suit his style of play.

Let’s hope South can land a few more and become competitive again as that’s what we all want to see.

Any word on Sebastopols search for a coach ? You’d think it would be easier finding someone this time round, clubs probably in the most stable position it’s been in decades, through all grades of footy and netball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back