BHP Any one game to pull the trigger?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a bugger about the dam burst, condolences to all families who lost loved ones but BHP is entering perfect storm territory, lawyers love this sort of thing, $18 then $16 is my bet.

BHP has got me very, very intrigued right now. If they hit the $18 mark, I'll pull the trigger. I'm no expert, but surely in 3-5 years they'll be much higher than that. As Dugdale2Dwyer mentioned, it's a perfect storm scenario right now.

Sub $20 I'll pull the trigger.

The bad news is out there so baring any more I can't see them getting to $17-18.

Buy under $20 and long term hold, is the play here.

Annnnnnnd we're sub $20

Personally think there is a little bit more to go.

Non-commercial investor re-rate, bad cyclical iron ore price, possibility of dividend drop and likely law suits from Brazil...

Feel it is going to stay around this price for a little while

I too highly doubt that this is the bottom. I'm hanging out for $17-$18 for a LTI.

Just read this thread. It's gone from people who are planning to 'pull the trigger' at $30, $27, $24, $22, anywhere under $20, $18, $16 and now $14. Let me just say, I'll be in at $8.

Unless you're me who said a year ago today that the price would dip below $20.:)

We're now looking at a share price we haven't seen since 2005, meaning all the share price growth from the last decade has been wiped off.:eek:

I don't know what the bottom will be but my guess is about $15, maybe even $10 if things get even worse (but I wouldn't bank on it). What I do know is that it's a stock that goes up quickly, so when the iron ore price does recover I wouldn't be surprised to see shares go from say $15 to $25-30 within a year.

Just read this thread. It's gone from people who are planning to 'pull the trigger' at $30, $27, $24, $22, anywhere under $20, $18, $16 and now $14. Let me just say, I'll be in at $8.
But I did end up pulling the trigger. Got in at $17.16.

Also bought into the probable lithium boom during the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Divi will definitely be cut. I'm bearish on BHP and have been for months. I reckon this will get to $10.

Gotta ask yourself what is going to improve in the foreseeable future to turn BHP's tides. Currently a huge P/E at 37, with crap commodities prices. It's definitely going to fall once it formally cuts the dividend. Which it will do. No business model should include borrowing to pay a divi.

I think people are making the mistake of giving BHP a free pass because it's BHP which is fraught with danger.

Why a recession, because of China's current strife?
China's slowdown could cause trouble all over, yeah. Also, low world-trade growth, problems with the EU, poor commodity prices, oil tumbling (petrol forecast to go -1.00 which is just awful for your Super if you're not ant-fossil), struggling EM's, etc.

It just doesn't look good in my opinion. What would I know though, I'm a 21 y/o student.

China's slowdown could cause trouble all over, yeah. Also, low world-trade growth, problems with the EU, poor commodity prices, oil tumbling (petrol forecast to go -1.00 which is just awful for your Super if you're not ant-fossil), struggling EM's, etc.

It just doesn't look good in my opinion. What would I know though, I'm a 21 y/o student.

No reason a 21yo can't accurately forecast based on the right information.

Super... I don't have much of that. My money is in real estate, not that I'm overly wealthy or anything.

No reason a 21yo can't accurately forecast based on the right information.

Super... I don't have much of that. My money is in real estate, not that I'm overly wealthy or anything.
Real Estate is something I'm interested in getting into when I'm older. My parents have bought 3 properties since the GFC and recovered well; 2/3 houses are in areas predicted to double in value over the next 10 years. Definitely a great place to hold your $ - good luck in the future with it all!

Macquarie are predicting a 7.5% RE decline early this year (another possible recession trigger), however experts have rubbished this, suggesting a more 'slowing, normal market' will trend.

Real Estate is something I'm interested in getting into when I'm older. My parents have bought 3 properties since the GFC and recovered well; 2/3 houses are in areas predicted to double in value over the next 10 years. Definitely a great place to hold your $ - good luck in the future with it all!

Macquarie are predicting a 7.5% RE decline early this year (another possible recession trigger), however experts have rubbished this, suggesting a more 'slowing, normal market' will trend.
Wouldn't purchase in Perth until 2017/2018 but when I do I will go big.
Wouldn't purchase in Sydney - TBD
Would only purchase in pockets of Melbourne where gentrification is occuring otherwise - TBD
Would purchase now in QLD in the south east, close to the train line, CBD and Uni or in the Brisbane/Gold Coast corridor
Don't know enough about the othercities/states

WA will drop 10 to 15% in 2016
NSW will drop 2.5 to 7.5% in 2016
VIC will drop 0 - 5% in 2016
QLD will rise 5 - 10% in 2016

Macquarie aren't far off in their prediction IMO and there is definitely a chance it does happen. If QLD doesn't pick up the slack and NSW and Vic fall a little more than my estimates it could very well see a national fall of greater than 7.5%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back