Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts RIP
Feb 28, 2003
Qantas Club Lounge
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Washington Generals
Have left off fish & chips (already have a thread going on that delicacy).

Cheap Eat criteria.

Change out of $15 for a main/feed. And BYO if eating in (& not a pub)

Pizza

i Carusi (Lygon St, East Brunswick), just edging out Mojos in Port Melbourne. i Carusi even have desert pizzas (such as the belgian chocolate & pear). Sounds gross, but needs to be tasted to be believed!

Curry

Kaka de Hati (Lygon St, East Brunswick). Best value Indian in the country. BYO & cash only. Eat in menu - all mains under $10

Hamburger with the Lot

Embassy (I think it's them) Taxi depot & cafe in Spencer Street Melbourne. Stacks of fat & smelly blokes eat there - best endoresement of I can think of.

Italian

Papa Gino's (Lygon St, Carlton)

Great all round value. Pasta, pizzas & BYO

Kebab

Lambs (Lygon St, Carlton) in a tie with Alaysa (Sydney Rd, Brunswick)

Chicken Parmigiana

Town Hall Hotel (South Melbourne). Used to be the Rose in Fitzroy & Great Northern in Carlton - but the Town has leap frogged them in the past month.

Lidge said:
Curry

Kaka de Hati (Lygon St, East Brunswick). Best value Indian in the country. BYO & cash only. Eat in menu - all mains under $10

Where abouts on Lygon? I tried a White Pages search online, and got nowhere.

Do you know if they open for lunch, and do they take phone orders for take-aways (as I work on Lygon)?

Jap curray = Don don and don 2, one is it little lonsdale and the other is in swanston street. Both share the same owner and sell the same food. Yummy jap chicken curray for $6.

Mekong Delta = Swanston street, you get a yummy bowl of chargrilled chicken soup for $7.50 (seriously good soup and you can not finish a bowl)

Hamburger with the lot = the best burgers in melbourne are from a place who's name has slipped my mind. The place is in north fitzroy on St georges road. It is open until late and is always busy. (i will get back to you on the name)

Shanghai dumplings, in tattersalls lane (CBD) = great dumplings. Ideally you go there in a group of about 7 -10 and order a variety of dishes. It will come to about $5 a head.

The waiters bar in the CBD. Serves beautiful home cooked italian food. If you go on a thursday you can have the canneloni - yummy.

The Morrocon Soup Kitchen on St Georges road fitzroy nth is unbelievably yummy. Meals are about $7 and they are morrocan dishes at their finest. If you want take away you have to bring your own tupparware container. These guys don't drink alcohol and are friendly to their environment.

Constipated Duck said:
Where abouts on Lygon? I tried a White Pages search online, and got nowhere.

Do you know if they open for lunch, and do they take phone orders for take-aways (as I work on Lygon)?

No wonder you couldn't find it - had dyslexia in my earlier post.

Here's a review (inc address) from Miettas Food Guide

Kake Di Hatti
Mietta's Eating & Drinking in Melbourne 2000

It's very busy here every night for takeaway and eating-in at this simple, neat, clean Indian cafe in Brunswick. The food here is amazing value, well-cooked, clean flavours. It is described as Indian country style, whatever that may be. One of the special dishes is the Kad Hai curries that are cooked in a kamai, a clay pot. The owners come from North India and have tried to create an Indian home environment here. There are Indian paintings and a bare light-coloured floor which makes you "feel like you are in India". The young families and students who live in the area come here, as do a lot of Asians, Indians and Sri Lankans. The owner estimates that about 60 per cent of his trade are Asian. The cafe does have a very simple wine list, last count was three varieties, and stocks beer, but it's the bottle shop opposite which seems to supply most of the customers here. Taxi drivers stop off here for food fuel.

128 Lygon Street
East Brunswick
Indian Cuisine
Melways reference 29:K9
Phone: 9387 7771
Opening hours: 7 days 5-11pm
Licensed & BYO
Does not accept credit cards
Seats Inside: 110, Outside: 8
Closed: Christmas day
Features: Kids encouraged
Favourites: Chicken makhani $5.99, Kadhai chicken $5.99, Dahl $2.60

And here's Mietta's review on I Carusi (best pizza in town)

Foodies - do yourselves a favour and check out the top end of Lygon Street.

I Carusi
0393865522, 46a Holmes Rd (continuation of Lygon Street) Brunswick 3056

Open: Tue-Sat 5.30pm-11pm, Closed: Sunday, Christmas eve to mid-january, Easter; Unlicensed BYO, Corkage $1 Person; Cards none, Seats inside 55, Seats outside 4, Kids welcomed

Mietta's Review
A small and unassuming place, that quite simply serves the best pizza in Australia. The pizza has interesting and unexpected combinations on top of great crisp dough, the roast pumpkin, pine nuts, rocket and goats cheese is a favourite amongst regulars. Italians who have become followers say that the pizza tastes just like it did back in the old country, little wonder, cook and owner Pietro Barbagallo is a second generation pizza maker. Salads here are good too, the rocket, orange and onion a stand out. The service is fast, cheerful and gorgeous, sometimes so friendly it's to the detriment of your order. But once you have ordered and eaten, this isn't a place to hang around for a chit chat because people are waiting for your table. There can often be a long wait, so it is worth booking. If it's conversation, and the savouring of flavours that you want, consider take-away. Cash only.

Other published opinions

The Age Cheap Eats 2004 "THERE aren't many restaurants that can stipulate two sittings on a Wednesday night, but I Carusi is one. The popularity of its clothed tables has been built on thin-crust pizzas reminiscent of Roman holidays"

The Foodies' Guide 2004,Allan Campion & Michelle Curtis,'Rustic,thin crusted pizzas whiz in and out of the oven all night,and they are some of the best in town.I Carusi uses excellent produce and comes up with unusual but fantastic topping combinations.'

The Age, Epicure, 25/11/03, Matt Preston,'The 2nd most nominated pizzeria and a stellar performer in past years with pizzanistas likening its thin crust pizzas to the best in Rome.'

The Age, A2, 27/9/03, John Weldon,'The place was jumping...back in Rome...is packed every night.'

The Saturday Age, A2, Food&Wine, Jane Faulkner, 24/5/03. Incredibly busy due to the quality of pizzas on offer, which must be some of Australia's finest. Bookings are essential due to the volume of customers.

Herald Sun, citystyle, Eat Treats, 6/5/03, Michael Harden. One of Melbourne's hidden gems.

Age Good Food Guide 2003 13/20

The Age, 01.05.01, Yvonne Pecujac "This is a small place with a big buzz, and the closest thing the city has to a genuine Roman eatery. It's a hip, minimalist space with a serious dedication to good food...Great ingredients; even better pizza."

The Age, 04.04.00, Matt Preston review "The margherita at i Carusi is a classic: a layer of bubbling and browned mozzarella floating on vibrant, sunny tomato sauce that has left a crimson tide around the crust. The base is thin and crisp, with just enough puff around the edges for mopping up any topping that's tried to slope off. A sprig of basil completes it. This hip little pizzeria combines retro cafe charm with just enough white tablecloths, framed Leunig prints and jazz to leave you feeling comfortable....Overall, i Carusi has the air of somewhere getting it very right in its 10 inch (diameter) way."

Lidge said:
Have left off fish & chips (already have a thread going on that delicacy).

Cheap Eat criteria.

Change out of $15 for a main/feed. And BYO if eating in (& not a pub)

Pizza

i Carusi (Lygon St, East Brunswick), just edging out Mojos in Port Melbourne. i Carusi even have desert pizzas (such as the belgian chocolate & pear). Sounds gross, but needs to be tasted to be believed!

Curry

Hamburger with the Lot

Embassy (I think it's them) Taxi depot & cafe in Spencer Street Melbourne. Stacks of fat & smelly blokes eat there - best endoresement of I can think of.

Italian

Papa Gino's (Lygon St, Carlton)

Great all round value. Pasta, pizzas & BYO

Kebab

Lambs (Lygon St, Carlton) in a tie with Alaysa (Sydney Rd, Brunswick)

Chicken Parmigiana

Town Hall Hotel (South Melbourne). Used to be the Rose in Fitzroy & Great Northern in Carlton - but the Town has leap frogged them in the past month.

you can't recommend Alasya after the recent headlines it has made, surely !

pluga_4 said:
you can't recommend Alasya after the recent headlines it has made, surely !

Yep. Salmonella poisoning is over rated;)

Have been back a few times since. :thumbsu:

It's just a pub but the Buckingham Hotel in Footscray.

The decor is footy related, the atmosphere is boganish but the new chef is a genius. It's in a transitory stage so the food is incredibly cheap, plentiful and well cooked.

And no-one has mentioned Gopals or Crossroads yet I dont think.

Pizza

Tough one. Absolute rubbish around me, and I don't eat much Pizza. Had a really good one afew years ago near Puckle Street, but the Essendon posters on the wall nearly brought it up.

Curry

Nepalise place on Sydney road in Brunswick. Name starts with G. Really, really cheap.

Hamburger with the Lot

No contest. Roozervelts in the food court of 55 Collins Street. Sensational.

Italian

Haven't had many good Italian experiences, but I am sure that is my fault. Always walk away from Lygon Street disapointed. There is a good pasta place in Essendon near Windy Hill. Cheap, quite during the week and I once smoked weed out the back just after some really good Marinara.

Kebab

Probably had 3 kebabs in my life sober, and I never remember the names of the places. Ever. There is one on the way to Northcote which is open 24 hours which I know is awesome.

Chicken Parmigiana

I only remember the bad ones.

NorthBhoy said:
Kebab

Probably had 3 kebabs in my life sober, and I never remember the names of the places. Ever.

Aint that the truth?! I cant for the life of me remember where any kebab places are in Melbourne, but I ate them a lot.

NorthBhoy said:
Curry

Nepalise place on Sydney road in Brunswick. Name starts with G. Really, really cheap.

That'd be Ghurka's. Pretty sure they also have one in Lygon Street Carlton as well.

NorthBhoy said:
Hamburger with the Lot

No contest. Roozervelts in the food court of 55 Collins Street. Sensational.
Haha! :thumbsu:

I used to work up that end of town and me and the lads used to frequent this joint on a Friday lunch. We coined him the "Burger Nazi", due the the tight ship they had to run to cater for demand!

Top burgers indeed!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FIGJAM said:
Haha! :thumbsu:

I used to work up that end of town and me and the lads used to frequent this joint on a Friday lunch. We coined him the "Burger Nazi", due the the tight ship they had to run to cater for demand!

Top burgers indeed!!

It gets a bit willing on occasions, definately. I had a chat to the bloke for 10 minutes once and now I do as I please. Absolute moron, but the convo was well worth it.

I discovered Pelligrini's only two months ago. I love that joint. In and out in 25 minutes, no bullshiit, awesome food, excellent coffee, and those ice-drink things which are possibly the most aweseomess things in the CBD.

NorthBhoy said:
I discovered Pelligrini's only two months ago. I love that joint. In and out in 25 minutes, no bullshiit, awesome food, excellent coffee, and those ice-drink things which are possibly the most aweseomess things in the CBD.

Every now and again, Deni$ will be having lunch there out in the kitchen section. You can pop your head in and thank him for doing such a wonderful job with cash strapped Carlton.

If you like Pelligrini's, pop over to the other side of Bourke Street where you'll find Meyer's Place. In that lane, you'll find the Italian Waiters Club. You'll love it.

Shinboners said:
Every now and again, Deni$ will be having lunch there out in the kitchen section. You can pop your head in and thank him for doing such a wonderful job with cash strapped Carlton.

Have seen him twice in the last month. I don't to say anything to him. His permanent look of disapointment made made my Minestrone taste that little bit better.

If you like Pelligrini's, pop over to the other side of Bourke Street where you'll find Meyer's Place. In that lane, you'll find the Italian Waiters Club. You'll love it

Ok, that is the third time in a fortnight I have been recomended the Waiters Club. I think it's fate. Will go there today and report my findings.

Shinboners said:
If you like Pelligrini's, pop over to the other side of Bourke Street where you'll find Meyer's Place. In that lane, you'll find the Italian Waiters Club. You'll love it.
Oooo yeah, that's a gem, and catered for even us Collingwood supporters, with it's plackie covers and cheap utensils!

There's a great traditional italian joint in Punch Lane if I recall, although I haven't been there in years. Was bloody fantastic from memory.

Lidge said:
And here's Mietta's review on I Carusi (best pizza in town)

Foodies - do yourselves a favour and check out the top end of Lygon Street.

I Carusi
0393865522, 46a Holmes Rd (continuation of Lygon Street) Brunswick 3056

blah..blah..blah

Unfortunately the chef behind i Carusi has left, Elena Bonnici (a protege of Stephanie Alexander and co_founder of chez-phat), is now at Pizza Mon Liebe and I suggest you check that out

Pizza

Crust (Port Melbourne/Richmond) for great quality gourmet style pizzas. I also have a soft spot for Bivios in Kew Junction for your traditional fare.

Curry

Everest Indian Restaurant in Station Street Fairfield for a hot beef vindaloo. Also enjoy a green curry from Sugar Cane Thai restaurant in South Melbourne.

Hamburger with the Lot

Yeah, the "Burger Nazi" at Rooservelts in Collins Place is a winner!

Italian

Italian Waiter's Club for cheap everything other than the food which is awesome.

Kebab

I live in Southbank, and the ultimate hangover cure is a Lamb with the lot plus chilli from Oras Charcoal Souvlaki Bar in Southgate.

Chicken Parmigiana

The Skinny Dog, Kew Junction.

Chicken Parmigana
1 - Parmeston Hotel, South Melbourne

2 - Brown Cow, Hampton
3 - Skinny Dog, Kew

Shinboners said:

yep i mentioned the waiters bar too, absolutely brilliant - its an institution.

I also mentioned the moroccan soup kitchen in st georges road nth fitzroy. If you haven't been there you should try it - yummy :thumbsu:

Does anybody rate the parmas at Ruby at Highpoint? Could just be that I'm blinded by the $6 price tag 6pm-7pm Mondays and Tuesdays ...

Nic said:
Does anybody rate the parmas at Ruby at Highpoint? Could just be that I'm blinded by the $6 price tag 6pm-7pm Mondays and Tuesdays ...
I do! But then I may also be blinded. Just about every Tuesday. superparma.com also appear to rate them, however, as number 5. That said, I've noticed it's been getting smaller, of late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back