Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
Pretty Self-Explanatory.

With the closure of many restaurants and most of us working at home obviously there has been more downtime. And with that downtime comes a greater focus on what we eat and reacquainting ourselves with the humble kitchens.

So I throw it to the rest of ya. During our downtime in this weird, weird, weird world of ours: What have you developed in your gastronomical laboratory?

Nothing super crazy yet. I'm a fairly new cook so learning the basics for me has been a good thing to focus on. Can do some decent rice (always creamy though), a roast beef and some veggies.

The other day I decided to put home brand burger sauce on some potato gems and it was delightful

Spent some of my pre-lockdown shopping trips stocking up on some less-used staples like lentils, freekeh and bulgur, of which bulgur was the only I had never used before. I knew the toilet paper and pasta sauce mums weren't going to fight me for taking home all the legumes.
So figuring out how to use bulgur. I'm late to the pomegranate molasses culinary circle jerk as well, so figuring out how to use that, and eating copious amounts of haloumi. My small business support funds a deli which among other things, feeds a new wagyu sausage addiction I have.
Started buying other grains as well, amaranth, and things like millet and spelt which are so cheap and all grown here.

Spent some of my pre-lockdown shopping trips stocking up on some less-used staples like lentils, freekeh and bulgur, of which bulgur was the only I had never used before. I knew the toilet paper and pasta sauce mums weren't going to fight me for taking home all the legumes.
So figuring out how to use bulgur. I'm late to the pomegranate molasses culinary circle jerk as well, so figuring out how to use that, and eating copious amounts of haloumi. My small business support funds a deli which among other things, feeds a new wagyu sausage addiction I have.
Started buying other grains as well, amaranth, and things like millet and spelt which are so cheap and all grown here.
I use bulgur in a tabouleh
But virtually any of those grains /seeds works well
and if you got in early and grabbed a few cans before the toilet paper wars,chickpeas work real well too.

Nothing from the Nigella cookbook.

I like to be adventurous with my beverages at times.

Italian hot chocolate.

Dalgona coffee. I served it on a mixture of hot water and lemon juice as opposed to milk.

Vietnamese egg coffee

I find pomegranate molasses really tricky to use... you need a pretty deft hand to incorporate the taste without swamping everything else.

I’ve had the most success by pairing it with a fatty meat like duck or lamb. Sumac seems to compliment it as well.

Ive got a bottle I havent had a go with yet
Probably as part of a salad dressing let the oil and lemon juce cut through part of the sweet ???

I find pomegranate molasses really tricky to use... you need a pretty deft hand to incorporate the taste without swamping everything else.

I’ve had the most success by pairing it with a fatty meat like duck or lamb. Sumac seems to compliment it as well.

only used it in dressing so far, in place of some of the acid. probably went too far once but not totally inedible, probably because as you say i was using sumac as well.
i could imagine it going quite well as a glaze.

would like to make the iranian dish fesenjoon with it eventually.

White Chicken Chili

Servings: 4

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup Canola Oil
  • 2 lbs. Chicken Breasts, cut into 3/4" pieces
  • 1-1/2 tsps. Cumin, ground
  • 1-1/2 tsps. Chili Powder
  • 1-1/2 tsps. Kosher Salt
  • 3/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
  • 2 Tbls. Butter
  • 2 Tbls. Canola Oil
  • 3/4 cup Yellow Onions, diced 1/4"
  • 1 Tbl. Garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup Green Poblano Chiles, roasted, peeled, seeds removed, diced 1/4"
  • 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 qt. Chicken Stock*
  • 2 Tbls. Salsa Verde*
  • 1-1/2 tsps. Chili Garlic Paste*
  • 1-1/2 tsps. Chipotle Tabasco®*
  • 3/4 tsp. Oregano, dried
  • 3/4 tsp. Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. Cumin, ground
  • 2 cups Canned White Beans, rinsed & drained
  • 3 Tbls. Sour Cream
  • 2 cups White Rice, cooked
  • 1/4 cup Pico de Gallo*
  • 1/4 cup Green Onions, chopped 1/4”

Instructions

1. Heat canola oil in a large sauce or soup pot.
  2. Combine the chicken and spices in a mixing bowl.
  3. Add the chicken into the pot. Cook until lightly brown and about 3/4 done.
  4. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
  5. Heat the butter and the additional oil in the pot. Add the onions and cook until tender.
  6. Add the garlic and chiles into the pot. Stir the ingredients together and cook for 30 seconds.
  7. Add the flour into the pot. Stir the ingredients together and cook for about 2 minutes.
  8. Add the chicken stock, a little at a time into the pot and slowly stir the ingredients together until smooth (no lumps of flour remaining).
  9. Add the salsa verde, chili garlic paste, Tabasco®, oregano, brown sugar and cumin into the pot. Allow the mixture to come back up to a simmer and then add the chicken back to the pot. Simmer for 5 minutes then gently stir in the sour cream and white beans.
  10. Serve with white rice and garnish with pico de gallo and green onions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

White Chicken Chili

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup Canola Oil
  • 2 Tbls. Butter
  • 2 Tbls. Canola Oil
  • 1 Tbl. Garlic, minced
  • 1 qt. Chicken Stock*
  • 2 Tbls. Salsa Verde*
  • 3/4 tsp. Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. Cumin, ground
  • 3 Tbls. Sour Cream
  • 1/4 cup Pico de Gallo*

Instructions

5. Heat the butter and the additional oil in the pot. Add the onions and cook until tender.
  6. Add the garlic and chiles into the pot. Stir the ingredients together and cook for 30 seconds.
  7. Add the flour into the pot. Stir the ingredients together and cook for about 2 minutes.
  8. Add the chicken stock, a little at a time into the pot and slowly stir the ingredients together until smooth (no lumps of flour remaining).
  9. Add the salsa verde, chili garlic paste, Tabasco®, oregano, brown sugar and cumin into the pot. Allow the mixture to come back up to a simmer and then add the chicken back to the pot. Simmer for 5 minutes then gently stir in the sour cream and white beans.

Sounds good
I remember having lots of green chillies in New Mexico
similar recipe just add lots of green chillies and tomatillos
Probably not going to be easy getting those in a lockdown though

Sounds good
I remember having lots of green chillies in New Mexico
similar recipe just add lots of green chillies and tomatillos
Probably not going to be easy getting those in a lockdown though
I have never found them, but they are just sweet so I use capsicum. Still good

White Chicken Chili

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup Canola Oil
  • 2 Tbls. Butter
  • 2 Tbls. Canola Oil
  • 1 Tbl. Garlic, minced
  • 1 qt. Chicken Stock*
  • 2 Tbls. Salsa Verde*
  • 3/4 tsp. Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. Cumin, ground
  • 3 Tbls. Sour Cream
  • 1/4 cup Pico de Gallo*

Instructions

There we go! Now we're cookin' with gas!

There we go! Now we're cookin' with gas!
It's a dish from The Cheesecake Factory that I loved. I was craving it years after I last had it so googled to find a recipe for something similar and found the actual recipe on their website. It looks like absolute slop but it's really good. Will cook it this weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back