Biggest waste of talent in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Current players only - so who do you think it is?
Injury excludes players from nomination (e.g. Curnow would be a superstar with a second working knee).

Stengle with his off-field issues would be close, and Willie Rioli with his urine sample tampering means we miss out on another.
Who else deserves a nomination?

Jesse Hogan? - unless he gets an injury/mental illness pass?

Mason Wood seemed to have everything except a heart.

Still has time to turn it around, hope it's not Sydney Stack. Too good a talent.

Currently Charlie Curnow if he never gets on field or is never the same again.

Jesse Hogan owns this thread atm

2015- 20 games 44 goals
2016- 21 games 41 goals
2017- 10 games 20 goals
2018- 20 games 47 goals
2019- 12 games 13 goals
2020- 7 games 5 goals

Daniher mentally weak as piss

Geez some Bombers supporters have thrown the toys out of the cot in recent times when talking about Daniher.

The guy was a star player, then got injured and had his rehab mismanaged by the club and wanted out. The Bombers blocked his reasonable trade request the previous year, which probably should have signposted his intention to leave as a Free Agent, but he was retained and couldn't get back on the park.

Then obviously the club went backwards again in 2020, which validated his request the previous year and gave him further incentive to leave.

Any player would have done the exact same thing.

Currently Charlie Curnow if he never gets on field or is never the same again.

His recent surgery went well, but he could easily enter the discussion as unfulfilled talent at some point.

Could have been the Nick Riewoldt of his generation, and I guess hopefully he can come in and play some more games this year. He and McKay could be a seriously dangerous combination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As stated above. Jesse Hogan just could have been anything. If he sorts himself out physically and mentally he’ll be great for giants.

Geez some Bombers supporters have thrown the toys out of the cot in recent times when talking about Daniher.

The guy was a star player, then got injured and had his rehab mismanaged by the club and wanted out. The Bombers blocked his reasonable trade request the previous year, which probably should have signposted his intention to leave as a Free Agent, but he was retained and couldn't get back on the park.

Then obviously the club went backwards again in 2020, which validated his request the previous year and gave him further incentive to leave.

Any player would have done the exact same thing.
And he also half assed his rehab

Wingard & Oliver are two that spring to mind. The latter just needs a decent coach to best utilise his talent, not sure the former can use that as an excuse anymore...
Not sure either qualify

Oliver is a 2x B&F winner and an AA player at 23 years of age

Wingard is a 2x AA, B&F winner and kicked 262 goals from 178 games

May not have seen either live up to their full potential (yet) but they have delivered far too much to be among the biggest wasted talents.

I wonder if these same fans that are calling players mentally weak etc are the same ones celebrating loud and proud when another vic goes back to a Melbourne club for “family reasons” or “go home factor”.......
No one called him weak for moving moving and leaving Victoria. You kinda just pulled that out of no where.

No one called him weak for moving moving and leaving Victoria. You kinda just pulled that out of no where.

Did I say that’s what they called him mentally weak for? No.

I did say that players who couldn’t handle playing away from home are celebrated when they return to Victoria by the same guys bagging a certain player calling him mentally weak in this thread.

Piss poor really.

Wingard & Oliver are two that spring to mind. The latter just needs a decent coach to best utilise his talent, not sure the former can use that as an excuse anymore...
Wingard for sure!
In his first 4 years of football he was:
3x 22 under 22
Club champion
Club leading goal kicker
2x AA and a mark of the year.
If he had that endless drive for excellence like a Burgoyne Fyfe Voss could of been a legend of the game.
Shows what inhaling your own gas and playing fortnite does to a person.

Did I say that’s what they called him mentally weak for? No.

I did say that players who couldn’t handle playing away from home are celebrated when they return to Victoria by the same guys bagging a certain player calling him mentally weak in this thread.

Piss poor really.
Right so you are complaining about something that has nothing to do with the thread?

It is also BS you have pulled that from nowhere, i have seen countless WA fans bagging Vic kids when they return home yet welcoming all the others returning with open arms. Supporters are irrational and one eyed, shocking.

Right so you are complaining about something that has nothing to do with the thread?

It is also BS you have pulled that from nowhere, i have seen countless WA fans bagging Vic kids when they return home yet welcoming all the others returning with open arms. Supporters are irrational and one eyed, shocking.

Not complaining at all. Pointing out how amusing it is that some individuals can bag a player as mentally weak are the same that welcome players who can’t play interstate.

Certainly not BS.

Jake stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back