Query Birth of the Siren

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you very much for that.
Trove: Herald June 04 1949 p1

An article comparing the bell to the siren.
Collingwood - bell
South Melbourne - bell
Melbourne - bell
Carlton - siren
Geelong - siren
Footscray - four electric bells around the ground.
All worked fine on the day and the umpire had no problem in hearing them.

When Carlton played Southern Tasmania in Hobart 23 June 1888 on the Risdon ground (no longer in existence) electric bell/s were used to signal the end of the quarters.

"When the electric bell rang out the first quarter...."
"Shorty after this the electric clock, which had been placed in fine working order by Mr. Thomas Self, rang out the finish..."
(Trove: Tasmanian News June 25 p2)

Most football grounds did not get electricity until the late 1920's and thirties. I am guessing that there were trials during that period.

I am guessing that air raid sirens in WW2 also had an impact on the changeover to electric sirens.

North Melbourne used a siren at Arden St in Round 6 1945. But the umpire requested at three quarter time that the bell be used as well. The old bell persisted there for a few years more. On some occasions it was not heard, particularly Round 7 1949 when the umpire and several players did not hear it at the end of the match. Play continued and North scored a goal to win by that margin.

Some clubs were reluctant to change to a siren or other electrical device for fear of a power failure, a more common event in those days.

I believe the first ground in Tasmania to use a siren to start and end quarters was "The Gravel" (Queenstown Oval) on the West Coast.
They used a siren borrowed from the Mt Lyell Mines to use each Saturday!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back