List Bizarre/unusual reasons for cancelled/suspended/abandoned games

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Australia 1926 York Association Grand Final

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/82038222?searchTerm=medinas football grand final&searchLimits=l-decade=192|||l-year=1926|||l-month=12

The League was asked by letter from the York Association, an affiliated body, to gave a ruling on an unusual point. Lengthy communications set out that a dispute had occurred between the Avon Wanderers and Medina Rovers teams over the deciding matches. It seems that at a meeting the association a motion was submitted that the grand final match, if such was necessary, should be played on a Saturday. Wanderers objected, stating that they could not get a team on that day. A motion was carried at another meeting that a League umpire should be engaged for the final and grand final. The final, won by Medina Rovers, was played on a Sunday, and a grand final became necessary. Subsequent to the final, an informal meeting informal to the extent that three delegates were not informed that it was being conducted — was held, at which it was decided to play the deciding game on the following Saturday. Wanderers protested, as they could not assemble a team, but were willing to contest the match on the Sunday.

The secretary was asked if he had engaged a League umpire for the grand final. He said he had not knowing that there would be trouble. Another decision then arrived at was that a local umpire should be appointed, Wanderers still protesting.

The Saturday the Medina Rovers lined up, and a local umpire was in attendance. The ball was bounced, a behind was kicked, and the team then retired, claiming that they had won the premiership. Several delegates aired their views on the problem, but the discussion had not proceeded far, before it was decided to go into committee. Finally, on the motion of Mr. Jeffery, it was decided that the League's ruling was that unless the rules of the association stated that all matches be played on Sundays, the defaulting team on the Saturday lost the match, and the Medina Rovers should be awarded the premiership.

Further, the League was of the opinion that the secretary should have carried out the instructions of the association to obtain an umpire from the metropolitan area.

From localfootystats.com:
2009, Southern FL Division 3.
Cerberus had to forfeit their home game against Mount Waverley because HMAS Cerberus was swept with the swine flu outbreak.
Influenza outbreaks causing forfeits in country leagues were occasional back before World War II. Let's hope the new coronavirus outbreak is managed quickly.
Wow, this aged poorly.

I've seem this posted somewhere before but I can't remember where.

FOOTBALL MIX-UP

MADDINGTON EASILY WIN SEMI REPLAY
It was unfortunate that the final round of the South Suburban Football Association's competition should have been marred by the mix-up which occurred on the Gosnells ground last Sunday.

A series of mistakes, starting with the mishandling of the premiership table, led to 3 teams taking the field for the replay of the first semi-final. After Maddington had staged a thrilling draw in the first semi final against Gosnells a fortnight ago, a hurried special meeting of the Association ruled that the game be replayed, with Armadale as Maddington's opponents.

This decision was reached when it was revealed that because Armadale's, percentage had been incorrectly worked out, the team should have finished fourth, ahead of Gosnells.

However, when Sunday's replay was due to begin, umpire Tony Pitsikas rubbed his eyes in astonishment as 3 teams—Maddington, Armadale and Gosnells—all took the field.

Umpire Pitsikas insisted that the contestants were Maddington and Armadale, and the Gosnells players finally left the ground when their coach, Harry O'Brien,called them off.

Once the game began, it was Maddington all the way.

Maddington showed premiership form and the game ended tamely with Armadale being defeated by 115 points.

12 July 1969 Avoca Vs Amphitheatre Lexton FL. Round 13

The league ordered the game to be replayed because Amphitheatre successfully challenged the result because the timekeepers blew the siren 3 minutes to early. Avoca had won by 3 points. 11.7.73 to 10.10.70

The match was replayed on August 23 at the end of the Home and Away.

Amphiltheatre won by 4 points 15.2.92 to 13.10.88.

Here's the kicker to this story.

Brian Coghlan kicked 7 goals in the first match but as the result was wiped he now needed 6 goals in the replay to reach his 100th goal for the year.

Brian only kicked 5 so finished with 99 goals for the season. Avoca didn't play finals. Amphitheatre did and by beating Avoca moved ahead into 4th spot..

In 1933, the Grand Final between Toolamba & Ardmona in the Goulburn Valley 2nds League was won by Ardmona via walkover because Toolamba refused to play under the umpire who was originally selected for the match (Virth) because Toolamba felt that he was a cheat who cost Toolamba two Grand Final victories in 1931 (against Wunghnu) & (against Ardmona).

Basically, the league didn't budge, Toolamba tried to appeal to the VFL, they didn't want to take on this case in such short notice, so Toolamba forfeited, leaving Ardmona to be back to back Premiers.

Toolamba ended up merging with Murchison in the 50's to become MURCHISON/TOOLAMBA & Ardmona were going to celebrate their 100 year anniversary in 2020 (along with Stanhope & Girgarre), but with the beer bug, that's now on hold

Attachments

• Toolamba FC 1933 (2).jpg
    Toolamba FC 1933 (2).jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 153
  • toolamba grand final 1933.jpg
    toolamba grand final 1933.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 150
In Round 3, 1988, the wet weather conditions on the Gold Coast saw the match between the Brisbane Bears and West Coast Eagles at Carrara moved to the WACA ground in Perth, with the Bears hosting the Eagles! Unfortunately for the Bears, the Eagles proved impolite guests, kicking a massive 29.18-192 (still West Coast's highest score) on a hot afternoon to crush the Queenslanders by 118-points. The teams met again later in the year at the WACA, this time an Eagles home game played at night and the match was a thriller, West Coast narrowly beating Brisbane by 9 points.
I remember that one quite well from the time. I have some recollection of the news of flooding in the Gold Coast during the first half of April 1988. The relocated match was scheduled to be played on 17 April 1988, but at the nearest Bureau of Meteorology station, 040190 (Southport Ridgeway Avenue), a whopping 632.7 millimetres of rain, or about what Melbourne, Hobart or Canberra expect in an average year, fell in the first two weeks of April:
Day of week
Date (1988)
040190 Rainfall 24 hours to 9:00 A.M. following day
Notes
Thursday​
31 March​
105.4 millimetres​
Friday​
1 April​
7.2 millimetres​
Saturday​
2 April​
6.4 millimetres​
Sunday​
3 April​
113.8 millimetres​
Bears play Collingwood at Carrara in the rain: Magpies win by eight points​
Monday​
4 April​
62.4 millimetres​
Tuesday​
5 April​
72.8 millimetres​
Wednesday​
6 April​
12.0 millimetres​
Thursday​
7 April​
2.0 millimetres​
Friday​
8 April​
0.0 millimetres​
Saturday​
9 April​
0.4 millimetres​
Bears play Carlton at Princes Park on a mild to warm day of 18.5˚C, with no rain. The Blues win by 68 points.​
Sunday​
10 April​
86.6 millimetres​
Monday​
11 April​
97.8 millimetres​
Tuesday​
12 April​
60.2 millimetres​
Wednesday​
13 April​
0.2 millimetres​
Thursday​
14 April​
0.0 millimetres​
Friday​
15 April​
0.0 millimetres​
Saturday​
16 April​
3.8 millimetres​
Sunday​
17 April​
2.0 millimetres​
Although there were a few dry days before 17 April, the soil in and around Carrara was so wet to such a depth that the Bears could not train on the ground, and a four-wheel-drive vehicle was needed to get around. The Albert Shire Council closed all surrounding car parks, most of which were flooded.

The Bears wanted the return match to be shifted back to Carrara to meet a contract demanding 11 games there – and made the request to shift the game on the assumption the return game would be played at Carrara. However, that was impossible because of a large number of pre-sold tickets for a new stand at the WACA Ground that was to open for the first time for that Round 16 game, which The Age said made Bears chief executive Ken Murphy very angry.

‘Bears Boil over Game Switch’.gif
West Coast did really well early in 1988. There was much talk the premiership heading west after the Eagles won two games against Essendon and the Bears by an aggregate of 217 points and headed the ladder with a percentage of 202.1. However, the 1988 Eagles never proved that capable against really severe tests, as was to be shown against the tough Collingwood defence the following week. I imagine that if Wrensted’s goal in the Elimination Final had gone through, the Magpies again would have been the Eagles’ chief obstacle to reaching a Grand Final in their second season. They would I feel have beaten Carlton in the Waverley rain, but the greatest wet-weather football machine in history (as Hawthorn were in 1988) would no doubt have been far too much for Todd’s team in the Grand Final even coming off eight straight victories.

Last edited:
All games in the wafl, sanfl, vfa and vfl were postponed from May 6 1910 due to the death of king Edward the 7th

Wafl, vfa and vfl played their games on Monday the 6th of june and the sanfl on Monday the 27th of june - all off a 2 day break playing Saturday

And in 1997 the Crows v Eagles Qualifying Final was postponed for a day due to the death of the Princess of Wales so it didn't clash with the funeral.

FOOTBALL PROTEST
South Western District Grand Final for 1934

A protest has been entered by Matong against Narrandera being awarded the premiership of the South-western District Football League on the grounds that it played two players, D. Weir and A. Treloar, who lived outside Narrandera's area.

A special sitting of the Judiciary Committee was called and after evidence the qualifications of Weir were settled that he was eligible to play.
Treloar's case was then dealt with, and the committee announced that it would dismiss the protest if Treloar signed a declaration to the effect that he resided in Narrandera for 21 days prior to 12th May (opening day of the season).

The score on the day. Narrandera 11.12 78 to Matong 7.9.51

According to the 1952 Grand Final record the game was recorded as No Award (Disputed)

It seems that Treloar had left town without providing the appropriate paperwork.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not quite the topic of this thread - but I know of a game which could have been abandoned, but wasn't due to an inventive solution being found.

It happened in Sydney footy nearly 20 years ago. Approaching half-time in the match a player was seriously injured to the extent that (from memory) it required him to be flown out by helicopter to hospital.

Naturally the delay was extensive, as the player could not be moved from the field and it also took quite a while for the helicopter to arrive.

However - rather than abandon the game, the two teams agreed to finish it on the no 2 ground at the same venue.

So, the first half of the game was played on one ground and the second half of the game was played on another ground.

It's the only time I've ever heard of it happening.

Not quite the topic of this thread - but I know of a game which could have been abandoned, but wasn't due to an inventive solution being found.

It happened in Sydney footy nearly 20 years ago. Approaching half-time in the match a player was seriously injured to the extent that (from memory) it required him to be flown out by helicopter to hospital.

Naturally the delay was extensive, as the player could not be moved from the field and it also took quite a while for the helicopter to arrive.

However - rather than abandon the game, the two teams agreed to finish it on the no 2 ground at the same venue.

So, the first half of the game was played on one ground and the second half of the game was played on another ground.

It's the only time I've ever heard of it happening.
I swear I have seen this story before.
Perhaps the NSW Football History website has it.

Here's more info about the game, anyway. It was actually in 2007, more recent than I realized.

At Bensons Lane 1st July, 2007
Mac Uni 4.4 9.6 17.10 22.13 (145)
Penrith 1.1 3.3 3.3 4.3 (27)

The match had originally been scheduled as a home game for Macquarie Uni the previous day, but was transferred to a neutral venue (Bensons Lane - Nor-West Jets home ground). I can't recall the reason for that move, possibly wet weather.

Bensons Lane has (or at least at the time had) three grounds - a dedicated cricket field (used by Hawkesbury in Sydney Grade), a main field used for Aussie Rules and a second full-sized field set up for Aussie Rules as well.

In the attached, the cricket field is the top oval (Owen Earle), the main footy oval is the middle one, second field is at the bottom of the picture.

So when the Macquarie Uni player was injured, everyone upped and went over to the second field and played the second half there.

Bensons Lane.jpg

Last edited:

Late in the third quarter of the 1960 Coreen Football league grand final young Jerilderie defender Stan “Brickie” Taylor in a desperate effort in defence to halt the relentless attack on goal by Hopefield-Buraja collided heavily with the behind post snapping it off at ground level.

It was only rural ingenuity that enabled the game to continue at the Daysdale Recreation Reserve. A farmer just happened to have a star picket fencing post in the back of his ute that league officials managed to attach to the point post using fencing wire and drive it back into the ground

Here's more info about the game, anyway. It was actually in 2007, more recent than I realized.

At Bensons Lane 1st July, 2007
Mac Uni 4.4 9.6 17.10 22.13 (145)
Penrith 1.1 3.3 3.3 4.3 (27)

The match had originally been scheduled as a home game for Macquarie Uni the previous day, but was transferred to a neutral venue (Bensons Lane - Nor-West Jets home ground). I can't recall the reason for that move, possibly wet weather.

Bensons Lane has (or at least at the time had) three grounds - a dedicated cricket field (used by Hawkesbury in Sydney Grade), a main field used for Aussie Rules and a second full-sized field set up for Aussie Rules as well.

In the attached, the cricket field is the top oval (Owen Earle), the main footy oval is the middle one, second field is at the bottom of the picture.

So when the Macquarie Uni player was injured, everyone upped and went over to the second field and played the second half there.

View attachment 951840
Is it now a dedicated cricket field?

I remember playing at that ground quite frequently in u9s-10s

We played on the main oval for most games but did play 1 game on that cricket oval. One of the best surfaces I played on in Sydney. Along with a neutral ~u13s game at Alexandria (one of our games got rained out, so we organised making it up under lights rather than not playing it whatsoever) when I was playing for North Ryde against Willoughby, and an u18s game playing for Penno on the village green at unsw

Just thinking, I dont think many teams have this available.
Nor-West Jets and Penrith might be the only 2 teams with that capability.
East Coast have 2 grounds, but IIRC the lower oval is smaller and not big enough for adults.
Do any other senior clubs in sydney have 2 grounds? None come to mind.

Is it now a dedicated cricket field?

I remember playing at that ground quite frequently in u9s-10s

We played on the main oval for most games but did play 1 game on that cricket oval. One of the best surfaces I played on in Sydney. Along with a neutral ~u13s game at Alexandria (one of our games got rained out, so we organised making it up under lights rather than not playing it whatsoever) when I was playing for North Ryde against Willoughby, and an u18s game playing for Penno on the village green at unsw

Just thinking, I dont think many teams have this available.
Nor-West Jets and Penrith might be the only 2 teams with that capability.
East Coast have 2 grounds, but IIRC the lower oval is smaller and not big enough for adults.
Do any other senior clubs in sydney have 2 grounds? None come to mind.
Macquarie Uni and Penno both have two senior sized grounds. I don't think ECE has.

I'll have to think about other clubs.

Penrith's second ground is junior size only (around 110m long - I have no idea why it wasn't made larger, eg 140m long).

Late in the third quarter of the 1960 Coreen Football league grand final young Jerilderie defender Stan “Brickie” Taylor in a desperate effort in defence to halt the relentless attack on goal by Hopefield-Buraja collided heavily with the behind post snapping it off at ground level.

It was only rural ingenuity that enabled the game to continue at the Daysdale Recreation Reserve. A farmer just happened to have a star picket fencing post in the back of his ute that league officials managed to attach to the point post using fencing wire and drive it back into the ground
That very same thing happened at Rennie, NSW during a Picola DFL Grand Final a few years ago & and old cockie used the same method (putting a star picket fence at the back of the post & bailing twine to prop up a behind post)

FOOTBALL RIOT.
Game Ends in Free Fight.
LONE POLICEMAN'S CHARGE.
WAGGA, Sunday.

Unprecedented incidents caused the abandonment of the grand final of The Rock and District football competition (Australian Rules) at The Rock on Saturday, when Mangoplah and Lockhart met.
It was known before the match started that partisan feeling was running high, and soon after the commencement the feeling manifested itself in rough play on both sides. With the players exerting themselves to the utmost, goals were scored in rapid succession.

Half-way through the first quarter, when scores were equal, a brawl occurred between two opposing players. This quickly developed into a riot. Free fights occurred both on the field and among the spectators.

Constable Chalker, the only policeman present, charged among the rioters, wielding his baton, but refrained from hitting anyone.

Despairing of regaining control of the game, the umpire left the ground. Constable Chalker, assisted by a few spectators, eventually separated the combatants.

Many players suffered iniuries. Robinson, of Mangoplah, who is believed to be seriously injured, was removed to hospital. Another player was taken to hospital, but was allowed to go home after treatment.

Two players were detained by Constable Chalker..

7/08/1965Cudgewa
0​
VsTintaldra-Khancoban
0​
match abandon due to KO Umpire (Paul Eames)
Matches get a bit willing in the Upper Murray FL. The game was rescheduled for the following week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back