Blowouts

Remove this Banner Ad

Arch

Club Legend
Jan 24, 2000
The Pub.
I just read some article written by James Hird, that he thinks the AFL has too many blowouts.
I think hes right when he says its not good for footy, because, unless its your team specifically, and theyre winning, you cant really be stuffed watching a blowout. You'll always hope the trailing team bridges the gap and makes it a ball game, just to make it interesting to watch. For potential new AFL fans and for fans in general,to take more interest, the games should be kept as close as possible.
so i looked at the margins of all the games so far this yr, and of 48 games, 19 have been 40+ pt games-(8 of those 19 have been 70 pts+)- and the average winning margin is 38 pts.
I dont know how that compares to any other year- but it seems like in alot of games, one team has really fallen over, or been seriously knocked over.
I know its the nature of afl footy that its so much of a momentum game, that once a side gets going, they can seriuosly bury their opponent. But is that good for the game ???
And why do teams get blown away, and capitulate so often ???? Can the "powers that be" do anything to make it harder for blowouts to occur, without ruining the flow of game??? I know blighty's idea of time outs wasnt a good one, but i reckon the blowout situation is something the afl should give some thought to.

A.

I have tried to stay out of the debate on Tim as much as possible.

I do not think he is completely to blame for our performances so far but having said that, a few of his positional moves have left most of us scratching our heads.

Besides, he is getting paid so much money that we couldn't afford to sack him and pay out his contract.

I still have a bit of faith in him! I'm in for the long haul.

PS, My fantasy footy team is about to make its revival this week, despite the absence of the great man Robert Harvey

Sainter

Good to see the saints have a red hot go last night, from a kangas perspective we should have pummelled the saints but they didn't lay down. May be the start of something - stick with them!!

Cheers

Gonzo

I guess there is a more direct style of play and teams are more able to score quickly.

I guess the game has changed in the last 2-3 years we have seen a quicker faster game and maybe the defences are as good as they used to be.

Having said that i would rather have a game where 15-17 goals a game are scored instead of a 8-10 goal game

Thanks Gonzo,

Apart from the match against the eagles, it was the only time this year that I have walked out of the ground proud of the team.

I was suprised that your team didn't go on with it in the last quarter and bury us but we hung in there.

If we can play with the same enthusiasm on Saturday against the crows, along with Harvey returning, next week could finally be our first win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back