Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
we should walk players to the PSD more often lol. Does this count as a trade win?

Psd is not the way to go as you primary recruiting strategy. It does not build goodwill with the other clubs a d so is not a sustainable strategy imo. But it is there for when players are being unreasonably dealt with as in the case with Martin and gold coast.

It’s a “buyer beware” situation. No unfairness just requires due diligence before picking him.
Hopefully, it doesn't come to that and other clubs just move out of the way and let Martin come to us.
But, it seems a bit odd to me. Given that 18years old don't get a say, so when they are drafted they are drafted to wherever.

WHAT??????
Some idiot posted in the “NO DISCUSSION” thread.

Luckily the idiot deleted it quickly!

I just came past to hand out some free hugs.

6198E9F6-67DB-4D22-870B-DC6353B6476D.gif

Also a present for ferrisb

I hope Ollie wasn’t too crushed with the whole saga...

He may let out a little wine 🥴

E4ABE9EF-0F06-4AF4-9B38-73DE615C31BD.gif

Swapping of two contracted players - it was the obvious option which Papleys manager had an obligation to explore, irrespective of Lucas backpick 9ground.

His player doesn’t like living in Sydney and wanted to come back to Victoria preferably Carlton, but I think he would of accepted Essendon if it meant not living in Sydney for the next 3 years.

Fair call... I just have an irrational distaste for all things *

FWIW - staying in the picture as long as we did with the Papley trade won’t have done us any harm with future prospective recruits and the industry reaction to GCS and potential irrationality in relation to Jack Martin ensures the reputational damage to CFC is, at worst, very slight.

Papley:
My initial reaction to the Sydney/Papley/pick 9 is probably based on a short term analysis of relinquishing leverage over our own assets. On reflection, if we consider the impacts to real people rather than treating them as abstractions or capital; we did the right thing.

Martin:
The AFL provided GCS with artificial arbitrage. Not our fault, not our doing. It would be unreasonable to expect us to cough up more than we offered. It looks like we'll still get him.

No real harm to our reputation as fair dealers in either case.

On the whole if you consider the outcome of the trade period it's a low key pass. Put simply, we expended marginal assets, Phillips and minor picks; for reasonable gain on both a short and potentially long term basis in areas of obvious need. We also maintained key assets for next time.

Fair call... I just have an irrational distaste for all things *

FWIW - staying in the picture as long as we did with the Papley trade won’t have done us any harm with future prospective recruits and the industry reaction to GCS and potential irrationality in relation to Jack Martin ensures the reputational damage to CFC is, at worst, very slight.

Papley:
My initial reaction to the Sydney/Papley/pick 9 is probably based on a short term analysis of relinquishing leverage over our own assets. On reflection, if we consider the impacts to real people rather than treating them as abstractions or capital; we did the right thing.

Martin:
The AFL provided GCS with artificial arbitrage. Not our fault, not our doing. It would be unreasonable to expect us to cough up more than we offered. It looks like we'll still get him.

No real harm to our reputation as fair dealers in either case.

On the whole if you consider the outcome of the trade period it's a low key pass. Put simply, we expended marginal assets, Phillips and minor picks; for reasonable gain on both a short and potentially long term basis in areas of obvious need. We also maintained key assets for next time.
I wouldn't call it an irrational distaste at all...

In fact I'd say it's based and rational ;)

Not sure why you think it makes a difference. The next list lodgment is October 31. If clubs delist players then, they are DFA and can be picked up any time before the final list lodgment on December 2.

The only opportunity players have to delist themselves is Monday 11 November when they nominate for the draft, it has that effect.

Gold Coast could delist Martin on October 31 but I can't see why they would at this point. They did do it for Jarryd Lyons but clearly they've gone insane this year.

Chris, my understanding is that you are not eligible to be picked as a DFA, if you have been offered a contract to stay.

Those rules may have changed though.

Lyons was a DFA as he and Dew did not see eye to eye and I believe no contract was offered.

If he hasn’t been offered one at any stage, Martin can be picked up as a DFA. But I think they have - or at least they will - eliminating his eligibility.

I’m not sure where this idea to trade our pick 9 for next years picks has come from. 20 of the top 40 are linked to academy’s so if say we finish 8th that essentially means 28 of the top 40 will be gone if no bids are in those 1st 8 picks. It’s not really that valuable a trade asset.

Would rather take a kid this year and get a year into him.
Kemp and Stephens are the 2 id be looking at who should be around our pick
I get what you’re saying here, but to me, this brings opportunity if the other 20 a guns.

The linked players will force a lot of first round picks to be used early by teams bidding on these players.

It also opens opportunity to turning two lowish, say sub 10, picks into 3 or 4 later first round picks if clubs want to try and trade down.

Not saying this is the right or wrong way of doing it, but just because 20 of the top 40 (at this stage) are linked, doesn’t mean we aren’t left with further opportunity

The prez!!

Interesting. I know the Hawks aren't too pleased with Gil regarding something to do with us (not against us).

Gil and Cochrane up to funny buggers?

Judd won't be on Footy Classified next year
#Factmour

Good. He means well but I don't think he's cut out for that. He's better in the media elsewhere. Not just for us as a club but for himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so sure Martin's getting to us in the PSD, given one of the AFL's mouthpieces in Barrett in his latest column seems to be pushing against it.

Melbourne
Ifyou don't throw a curveball offer to Jack Martin via your access to the first "live pick" in the pre-season draft ...
thenyou're being negligent. Take the shot.

Not so sure Martin's getting to us in the PSD, given one of the AFL's mouthpieces in Barrett in his latest column seems to be pushing against it.

Melbourne
Ifyou don't throw a curveball offer to Jack Martin via your access to the first "live pick" in the pre-season draft ...

well that's it, call it off. Martin is going to Melbourne :rolleyes:

Get all the doomsdayers back, who have all disappeared since they realised we 'were' going to get Martin - bloody Barrett and his impact on all AFL (he never gets anything wrong)

Maybe GC have used us as collateral damage to show what they’re prepared to next year if the Adel clubs want to lowball them with Lukocious

Does Cochrane have some sort of issue with us specifically though?

There is a significant opportunity to assist Port obtain the goodies to get Lukosious (or however you spell it). if the SA bidding war shakes out an Oliver Wines then we need to have our ducks in a row.

Melbourne

Barrett won’t have any impact on what happens. He isn’t employed by the AFL or, more relevantly, AFL Media. He or a company that employs him is an independent contractor who provides his services to AFL Media.

I get what you’re saying here, but to me, this brings opportunity if the other 20 a guns.

Next year's draft scares the hell out of me.

Those clubs with protected players will refuse to bid on another's protected players because they won't want another club forcing them to overspend. This results in some clubs being able to double or even triple dip. We've seen this before at the draft.

What North has done is risky but could very well pay off. They found the one club in Melbourne who were confident/cocky enough to take a gamble that didn't have a good 2019. They'll either have strong currency in points for readymade talent or will have two highish picks.

I suspect that there are no other bottom 10 clubs who will back themselves into making finals given every top 8 side has reason to believe they wont drop too far or will in fact improve. 2020 could easily be a run it back season with West Coast swspping with Geelong for top 4.

Go to the draft with 9. Trade if a team gives you clear overs. There's enough talent available for it to be better than trading it to a team for a pick in the teens next year.

Melbourne

I think he's just saying Melbourne should at least explore the option of picking up Martin. And he is right... they need to ask the question, "how's about $x contract for X years?"

You don't at least ask you don't get. The worst thing that can happen is the player says no.

I'm a simple man my friend. I've had to make my way in life on nothing but my strong, Antonio Banderas like looks, chiseled jawline and superior love making ability.

I'll take your word for it.

😆😆
Since when has a garden gnome ever had “Antonio Banderas like looks”? 😂😂😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back