Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. We won on the Gibbs deal, we could have afforded taken a hit (not too much) on the Papley deal. You hold all the cards if your club has the contracted player, like we did with Bryce, but you have to conceed a bit when you're trying to grab another clubs contracted player. Papley seems to be on the surface ideal fit for us, and a very good small forward. I'd have given Pick 9 and taken the hit if Sydney agreed. Price is always from point of perspective & need.

All week I heard AFL pundits say Papley was not worth Pick 9. A small forward average a goal and a half a game, and 14 disposals. I heard values around 20 and even later. I'd say we were offering overs from the outset. The Swans said he was as required player and didn't want to trade him. They only entered discussions because of Daniher and needing our pick to get him. They didn't want to weaken their side by losing Papley and not getting Daniher. Zero we could do about that.

We set a target, we tried to get him. He was contracted and we had no say. We kept our currency and we get to go to the draft.

At the end of the day, who was the biggest name player to move this trade period aside from Tim Kelly? Brad Hill? It was definitely a spare parts kind of trade period.

How do you know the swans said they would not trade papely? I’ve not heard this. I’m sure if sos said pick 9 and even a future second for him that would have done it? I guess unless we were in the room we will never know. But feeling like we’ve let something big slip...
It's been said all week in the media, they won't trade papley without getting daniher. Diminishes their fwd line/goal scorers too much

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Absolutely abysmal.

We could have had Bonar and Butler late in the day.

We now have only an ageing Eddie to add to the list.

Relying on natural improvement when every single other team is improving their list or already better than us a road to nowhere.

Butler is in Bali ready with a Saints jumper - you understand that we need to come to terms with players before trading for them right?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I love sos and think he’s done an outstanding job at the club. But he’s mucked this one up. He should have relented and given up pick 9 for papley with no picks coming back and taken Martin in the PSD.

We could've offered pick 9 alone but it wasn't helping unless the Daniher trade got done. Swans made that clear. Swans offered Essendon our pick 9 and a future first but the Bombers wouldn't budge.

I’m a lifelong Carlton supporter and I’ve been a Suns member for 6 years due to location so I’ve seen a lot of Jack Martin. But I have bitten my tongue (well keyboard) while this trade period has played out so I’m now going to give my honest appraisal of what has just occurred.

He was my favourite player early on based on a few very good games in the early years because he had amazing potential.

However .... he has consistently played about 4 decent games per year and teases with his potential, then goes missing for weeks at a time where he just seemed like he wasn’t interested at all, wouldn’t chase, tackle, or put his head over the ball to make a contest.

He is such a conditional player and chooses when to have a go and when he just can’t give a toss.

On numerous occasions this year I said that the Suns just needed to trade him while he still had some currency because he was playing like someone who clearly didn’t care and didn’t want to be at the club. I jokingly said to my wife that they can piss him off as long as he didn’t end up at Carlton ... then he nominated us and I just shook my head and said “for goodness sake I hope we don’t give up too much for him”.

What happened with Martin today is a very good outcome.
He is not worth a 1st round pick
He is not worth sliding back in the first round, and IMO ... (and in the case of any Suns players, for once I think my opinion counts for something) ...
He isn’t worth a 2nd round pick under 30

So SOS was 100% right not to be bent over on the Martin deal and if he plays another season like this year, he’d be a 4th rounder at best next year because of his give a toss attitude.

This is why GCS surely couldn’t entertain redrafting him in the PSD because they can’t afford to bring him back against his wishes on decent money, just to put up mediocre performances and drag down the club while they’re trying to improve their culture.

They had to make a stand, but it won’t help them in the end. Unfortunately we were in the breach on the occasion that they decided to do so. They have definitely put their club before the player, who I suspect will come out and say (via his manager) that he would rather sit out of footy that return to the Suns after what has occurred.

If we get him in the PSD fine. But SOS & Co. did the right thing today

As for Papley .... what can you do? He is contracted and Swans didn’t want to play ball.

We haven’t compromised by going after lesser quality targets and we haven’t given away the farm for the ones we wanted.

Mate, we’re almost the exact same situation.

Life long Carlton and suns member , seen a heap of Martin and I posted pretty much word for word what you said a few months ago.

Great choice by sos. We get him for free now.

I will say in defence of Martin. Many players when there is no reason to try or no belief of a potential win zone out. I am hopeful the incentive of success will help jack realise his potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still think you guys are an excellent chance to select Jack Martin in the national draft at pick 9 (unless you already had a gun kid earmarked for selection)

The only drama I could see might be if Melbourne elected to nab him with pick 8

And for what it's worth from an outsider, SOS has probably done you a favor because for mine, Papley was never worth pick 9

Hahahaha bonar and butler the saviours we missed out on

Is that what I said? Saviours?

They would have been IMPROVEMENTS. Butlers a small forward and Bonar a high draft big bodied mid. If you cant see thats a missed opportunity i cant help you.

Why shouldn't we? We have to use the cap space there and chances are we were going to front load Martin and Papley anyway due to missing out on Coniglio. Doesn't negatively affect us at all.
Just a personal opinion Martin imo is still unproven was playing Neafl footy this year doesn't sit right with me to be front loading his contract in such a way .

Bloody hell people - perspective. Seriously the overreaction from the toddlers on this board is embarrassing. "Disaster!" "Devastated! "Gutted!" - really? Get a grip.

I am disappointed we didn't get our targets, but seriously it is not the end of the bloody world. We didn't lose anyone we actually needed. We have a good young list that will improve next year. SOS built most of that so why the hell are the nuffies calling for him to be sacked? Next time people start paying out on the morons on the other boards, remember we have our fair share here too.
Well said, i can't believe what a few have said tonight. But we have it here in black and white.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sell it whichever way you choose but for two players to ask to nominate Carlton and not get there, doesn't make for a good look.
If you think it does, tell me how.

It's not about melts but reality. We did not pull off the trades we told prospective players we would do so.
Papley is contracted and Sydney played hard ball - not SOSs fault. Just like Daniher nominated Swans and didn’t get there, says more about Essendon being stubborn than swans failing.

As for Martin, GCS not doing a deal for an uncontracted player who wants to leave your club...says something about the Suns stupidity.Should we have caved in Suns demand and given a first round pick for Martin??

How do you know the swans said they would not trade papely? I’ve not heard this. I’m sure if sos said pick 9 and even a future second for him that would have done it? I guess unless we were in the room we will never know. But feeling like we’ve let something big slip...

The Swans said from the outset that they wanted to keep Papley. I don't think they ever made a public announcement acknowledging he was on the table. Pick 9 and a future second for Papley. Worth around Pick 4 is he?

Is that what I said? Saviours?

They would have been IMPROVEMENTS. Butlers a small forward and Bonar a high draft big bodied mid. If you cant see thats a missed opportunity i cant help you.
We didn't want them. Never going to trade for them. Would rather put games into those on our list than trade for vfl players

Mate it will be exactly the same money over the 4 years that we already agreed with him.

Instead of 600k a year for 4 years, it will be something like:

Year 1: $1,000,000
Year 2: $500,000
Year 3: $450,000
Year 4: $450,000

AFL stated this year for free agents that the other club only has to match term and total dollars not front or rear loading of the contract. You think they’ll try and screw the Gold Coast to change that for the PSD?

All week I heard AFL pundits say Papley was not worth Pick 9. A small forward average a goal and a half a game, and 14 disposals. I heard values around 20 and even later. I'd say we were offering overs from the outset. The Swans said he was as required player and didn't want to trade him. They only entered discussions because of Daniher and needing our pick to get him. They didn't want to weaken their side by losing Papley and not getting Daniher. Zero we could do about that.

We set a target, we tried to get him. He was contracted and we had no say. We kept our currency and we get to go to the draft.

At the end of the day, who was the biggest name player to move this trade period aside from Tim Kelly? Brad Hill? It was definitely a spare parts kind of trade period.
Fair enough Zen Master - I'm suitably calmed now o_O :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back