Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this what was referred to in that article from Martin's management?
The one he cut down immediately? Or are you now talking about something more serious?

Melbourne has done due diligence just as each club in that position would.

Fair enough...I just see it as disrespectful. He has nominated us and whilst we are trying to get him across they are trying to get in between and steal him from under our noses. Now it may or may not happen for the dees but afaic they can piss off (to put it mildly).

That's the great thing about this forum and the Blues faithful in general, we can all have different opinions but we all love the baggers and want to see them get #17 and more.

Now when speaking about Essendon, that's all bets off and EVERYTHING is fair game, above or below the belt, I ******* hate the used conDONs (as you can tell from my avatar)

Maybe youre over thinking it... he obviously wants put pf gold cpast and melbourne from what i understand has a tightish cap... publicly said he wants to play with betts. Not naive that they want him. They wouldnt be doing their due diligence if they didnt ask.... just not worried

I think a few here are underestimating how much our culture has changed and why we are now an attractive destination- especially for Martin.
Firstly we have a lot to thank BB for in bringing back our culture which was terrible before he arrived. Its been built upon with the appointment of Liddle, Lloyd and co. They have collectively dragged us up to be a big four again in reputation . Off field we are attractive again.

Our coach has impressed many and will be a major reason that we get enthusiastic players coming and wanting to play for us.

Finally we have great onfield leadership. Cripps and Doc are fantastic leaders and are inspirational - especially Cripps.

And in the specific case of Martin, the return of eddie is probably the factor that makes us irresistable.

Compare us to melbourne where there is question marks all over the place about their leadership after a terrible 2019 and I really cant see melbourne being any sort of threat for martins services at all

'scuse my ignorance, but why do people keep saying "especially an Indigenous player"?

Because it's a PR nightmare. Young indigenous player walks away from footy after an old white male at an AFL expansion club holds him against his will and denies him an opportunity be reunited with family and mentored by senior star indigenous player.

Right or wrong, it's click-bait dynamite, and the press would blow it even further out of proportion as they'll be desperate for AFL news during the off season.

The above won't be lost on the AFL's comms department (and the Suns'). Lot of reputational risk around this situation.

Fair enough...I just see it as disrespectful. He has nominated us and whilst we are trying to get him across they are trying to get in between and steal him from under our noses. Now it may or may not happen for the dees but afaic they can piss off (to put it mildly).

Mate disrespectful or not all 18 clubs in that position would ask the question. I mean it’s not like SOS can go all mafia and off the Melbourne recruiters for a disrespectful move 😂😂😂

Because it's a PR nightmare. Young indigenous player walks away from footy after an old white male at an AFL expansion club holds him against his will and denies him an opportunity be reunited with family and mentored by senior star indigenous player.

Right or wrong, it's click-bait dynamite, and the press would blow it even further out of proportion as they'll be desperate for AFL news during the off season.

The above won't be lost on the AFL's comms department (and the Suns'). Lot of reputational risk around this situation.
i was thinking exactly the same. And that’s definitely not the look the AFL want
Funny how some seem happy for the "corrupt" AFL to intervene when Carlton benefits.

Funny how some seem happy for the "corrupt" AFL to intervene when Carlton benefits.

I never suggested intervention, just that it would be on the radar.

But there's also a difference between AFL intervention out of the blue, and AFL intervention on a situation that is largely of their own creation.

If the AFL hadn't given the Suns such massive draft concessions, in particular wider zones and not having to match any bids, they would have been sensible and accepted our offer (overs) of a 2nd and a 3rd round pick.

Not sure what we do with pick 9,another youngster to add to an already young list not that it’s the worst thing but a seasoned player would’ve suited us better unfortunately couldn’t get it done.Serong/Weightman and names that we should look at but I wouldn’t be surprise if we look to trade with Geelong for picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL hadn't given the Suns such massive draft concessions, in particular wider zones and not having to match any bids, they would have been sensible and accepted our offer (overs) of a 2nd and a 3rd round pick.
right

I have no issues with us not picking anyone after we do our due diligence but suggestions that the Tigers somehow have a good track record is a bit misleading.
They failed with Yarran, just like us and had another crack with Stack and then Pickett and so far have done well. After the issues we had with Yarran, Bootsma, Jeffy and Robbo, we should be a lot more well equipped to take a chance on someone with high talent, that has issues.

Not saying it’s Harley, but we can’t afford to be too scared to try again. Deluca is doing a pre season with us in the hope of a rookie deal and possibly has until Feb to impress, what harm would Harley do on the same proviso? No promises, but a trial.
Take it to the supreme court equity division and watch the sun's and the afl get thier bottom smacked. Brief Brett walker SC

Edit. Unconscionable conduct.

And only one t in Bret

If we don't get Martin, it will be annoying and disappointing,but nothing worth losing sleep over.

Just have to try on ourselves making our own luck, and hope SOS can pluck a couple of 3rd and 4th round gems in this draft (something he has sadly not had a great track record at with us)

Cannot depend on City Hall (AFL) or other clubs helping us out, it is what it is, we should try be captains of our own ship, and earn our 17th flag the hard way.

Not sure if my google search skills are bad. I just can't find any information or article about this anywhere. Did they play state league together?

dover mentions it in the podcast below:

And given that the future concessions are up for review, and that the other clubs are not happy with them, it's probably not great for the Suns to be so dismissive of the value of these picks.

Good ol' AFL House with their half-baked ideas and completely unintended consequences.

How can we help GC - give them extra early picks and free access to an expanded Academy zone. Whoops - now they have no need whatsoever for late picks and can be absolute campaigners about trading players out.

Yeah, they could bundle later picks for early ones...except when they have 4 top 20 picks they don't need to hit too many more.
Yeah, they could trade those late picks for fringe players...except there isn't exactly a queue of fringe players waiting to play up there.

Same will happen next season. Lukosius will want out, Gold Coast will demand senior players, nobody suitable will want to play for them, so they'll demand multiple top 10 picks for a bloke who has done very little yet. The SA clubs will try for reasonable offer of an early pick plus a couple of picks in the 20-40 range as sweeteners, and GC will tell them to GAGF. Pick 1, 11 and 20 already in their pockets for next season, a handful of "local" academy kids for free - what use do they have for picks in the second round?

This is shaping up as a monster ass explosion by the sounds of things.

Stays - This place will self Boom.
AFL intervenes - Trumpet sized Boom.
Goes to Melbourne - Hey, look at this, Boom in your face.
Comes to us and doesn't live up to all the hype - Boom.

The only way out is we get him, hes a gun, and we drop bombs over everyone.

Last edited:
This is shaping up as a monster ass explosion by the sounds of things.

Stays - This place will self Boom.
AFL intervenes - Trumpet sized Boom.
Goes to Melbourne - Hey, look it this, Boom in your face.
Comes to us and doesn't live up to all the hype - Boom.

The only way out is we get him, hes a gun, and we drop bombs over everyone.

Is that you, Poo Jogger? 😆😆😆

Are they? How so?
I'm glad you asked....here ya go.

"The Blues have added classy midfielder Sam Petrevski-Seton to their list, selecting the young talent with pick No.6 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft.
The silky mid, that can also play at half-forward and kick a goal or two, is an exceptional user of the ball – on both feet!
The 18-year-old, who is related to Jack Martin from the Suns, has made tackling and forward pressure key features of his game."

Good ol' AFL House with their half-baked ideas and completely unintended consequences.

How can we help GC - give them extra early picks and free access to an expanded Academy zone. Whoops - now they have no need whatsoever for late picks and can be absolute campaigners about trading players out.

Yeah, they could bundle later picks for early ones...except when they have 4 top 20 picks they don't need to hit too many more.
Yeah, they could trade those late picks for fringe players...except there isn't exactly a queue of fringe players waiting to play up there.

Same will happen next season. Lukosius will want out, Gold Coast will demand senior players, nobody suitable will want to play for them, so they'll demand multiple top 10 picks for a bloke who has done very little yet. The SA clubs will try for reasonable offer of an early pick plus a couple of picks in the 20-40 range as sweeteners, and GC will tell them to GAGF. Pick 1, 11 and 20 already in their pockets for next season, a handful of "local" academy kids for free - what use do they have for picks in the second round?

Yeah, except most other clubs in the same situation would act in good faith, and understand that an extra 2nd and 3rd round pick have value, to either trade for players or to move up in the draft, especially in a draft when so many clubs will require points.

The danger is that a successful legal challenge won’t just effect trading, it effects the draft, ie. players like Walsh wouldn’t get drafted at pick 1, they’d choose which club they go to. Hence, by association it effects equalisation.

Very problematic area.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
A challenge to the AFL rules would probably be selective. The rules relating to 18 year old novices are most probably NOT in restraint of trade. They are unlikely to be struck down by a Court.
However the rules relating to players, like Martin, who have been in the system for some time and who are uncontracted are MUCH MORE LIKELY to be struck down.
The AFL and it’s lawyers would be well aware of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back