Bluemour Melting Pot XXII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't feel safe with any recruiter by SOS. At least we know with SOS we don't get reamed by anything.

The only list manager I trust in the league will be Stephen Wells.

But that is my opinion though.
yes please.......

That’s one of the key points from the article. Liddle, Lloyd and agresta were aligned. Wasn’t liddle by himself.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

According to many here, not only was Liddle by himself, but he was also a cyborg assassin sent back by a 65 year old Eddie McGuire from the year 2029 to prevent SOS further developing the list which led to the Carlton Premiership 5 peat from 2021-2025.

3igndy.jpg

I wonder if it wasn’t Sos if we’d be having g such a vigorous debate.
I would like to think we would. Have always been a sport fanatic, but under no delusions regarding our on field idols.
SOS has done a great job with the rebuild, it is about appreciation and respect for me, not having a Johnny come lately
claiming credit for the club renaissance on the back of someone he has either subtly or blatantly shafted.

Edit: Only gross misconduct would be an acceptable reason for "dismissal".

I would like to think we would. Have always been a sport fanatic, but under no delusions regarding our on field idols.
SOS has done a great job with the rebuild, it is about appreciation and respect for me, not having a Johnny come lately
claiming credit for the club renaissance on the back of someone he has either subtly or blatantly shafted.

Edit: Only gross misconduct would be an acceptable reason for "dismissal".

It's not really a dismissal in the common sense of the word though, is it.

SOS was brought on to do a job (ie. strip the list back to it's bare bones and rebuild on the fly via the draft). If those running the club believe that job is done, then there isn't a specific need for that position to be filled. Instead, we just need what most clubs have, a List Manager to balance contracts and coordinate the efforts of the recruiters based on the perceived needs of the list.

I don't think it's at all unreasonable that, if SOS's contract had indeed expired, that the club wouldn't be putting a new one in front of him for the same role, especially if others in the List Management team felt that having that (now redundant) role filled, by SOS, was going to limit their ability to do their own jobs. Particularly given SOS's salary would fall under the soft cap, and could potentially be better spent on coaching or medical staff now that the heavy lifting of the rebuild is done. That's very different to being sacked because you annoyed someone, or because you'd done a poor job.

It also makes perfect sense that SOS would feel aggrieved at a situation like that. Having his portfolio taken out of his hands and being told that he's welcome to stick around and do something different instead.

Not going to pretend to know exactly what's gone on, and find it strange that some here seem to think they have all the information they need to cast judgement.

In my book, SOS has done a great job, but his influence may have become a bit too overbearing. Liddle has done well on the commercial side of things, don't like him being involved in LM but would certainly respect him if it turned out his actions were taken on behalf of other staff at the club who felt their own input was being limited/disregarded.

Shitty optics, but I'm prepared to give the club 12 months to see what happens off the back of this change, rather than railing at the specific circumstances now.

Last edited:
I wonder if it wasn’t Sos if we’d be having g such a vigorous debate.
I don't think it really matters who the list manager is, I think any time a CEO goes behind the list managers back to try and sign up a player you've got issues.

In that situation the CEO is clearly in the wrong and he has directly marginalised the list manager. If the list manager has a backbone it's not a tenable relationship. Imo the wrong person has been punished, SOS was railroaded in the end. Not to say Liddle should've been the one sacked, but surely some reprimand needed to be implemented.

I take it SOS' frustration was the fact he was left in the cold on those negotiations, then based on rumours since the board etc. have backed Liddle over him. If I was SOS I'd want to tell them to get nicked as well. Don't blame him for leaving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theory - Sydney are going to take Stephens.

This means Adelaide definitely go for McAsey, and Freo get to pick 2 of Young, Flanders and Serong.

We're less enamoured with Flanders. Would have loved Stephens, but he's gone. So if Freo take Young and Serong (as has been reported), we're stuck with our least preferred player, or an attempt to trade down to clubs who no longer have McAsey available to them.

Instead, we trade up via Adelaide. They get McAsey at 9 and bank an extra future pick. We get our preferred option from Young and Serong.

You were dead on, except we went backawards. But props for smart thinking.

You were dead on, except we went backawards. But props for smart thinking.

It was, ultimately, what we tried to do but were unable to pull off due to Adelaide's greed. Or if not greed, perhaps their vengeance for feasting on them the last few years. Stephens vs. Kemp + Philp is an interesting one. May turn out they've done us a favour.

We've brought it out of retirement and put it on the rookie list as a precaution.

Where has all this ******* retirement talk come from??

4b2 needs and wants to make a comeback not come out of retirement.

Only some old salty prick told me that 4b2 saying hi to posters are threats of violence and that he should curb his way - subsequently I made him into a temporary shelf, he holds 6 cans very nicely.

Ellis would have made great PR? Eddie does for sure, and of course Papley would have, he is exactly who we need. But Ellis? The best response you could have received from most Carlton supporters would have been “meh”.
Two-time premiership player, running defender.

I think what we ended up with, Eddie for not much, Martin for free and a couple of good prospects from the draft is a much better outcome long term.
All I'm saying is that for people who don't understand football, like everyday fans, or pundits, this would have been well received.

I think we made the correct calls, and it seems SOS' stubbornness is to thank for a lot of that.

Last edited:
It was, ultimately, what we tried to do but were unable to pull off due to Adelaide's greed. Or if not greed, perhaps their vengeance for feasting on them the last few years. Stephens vs. Kemp + Philp is an interesting one. May turn out they've done us a favour.
I tend to agree with you, upside regarding Brodie Kemp is enormous if we're fortunate, Philp too has all the tools for a competitive midfielder, Stephen Silvagni took a risk which may turn out a big win for the CFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back