Bluemour Melting Pot XXIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite. I’d argue Lloyd comes under the off field category.

Why, because's he's not on the field? Neither is the coach.

Off-field encompasses things like memberships, merch, sponsorships/partnerships, facilities, alternate revenue streams, community outreach etc.

On-field is anything pertaining to performance and fitness, which is basically Lloyd's only focus - managing the coaches, medicos, players, list etc.

Right now Carlton fc is a club on its knees. We are a laughing stock of the AFL, other club supporters and slowly our own supporters are laughing and have had enough. If the club stuff this review/coaching process up it will be the final blow for so many

Bollocks.

Club have been in far worse shape since 2002 and fans have stuck thick. Sure, the number of active supporters will wax and wane depending on the fortunes in any one year but our trajectory is overall in the right direction. And watch the memberships and supporter base skyrocket once things click. Improvements and changes need to be made, no doubt, but this is a tiresome overreaction.

And, with all respect, I couldn't give a dog's droppings what other club supporters think.

Bandwagon supporters, every club has them.

If you think we’ve been able to field close to our best team all year then you’re kidding yourself. We’re not miles off it, just need some luck and continuity.

No one mentions our injuries and to his credit Teague never has. On the other hand Harwdwick said he’s banging his head against a wall with all their injuries… this after having the best 10 year run I’ve seen.

Under rated post and pretty sure Clarkson didn't let injuries go unnoticed in his presser after a pantsing last week./

Right now Carlton fc is a club on its knees. We are a laughing stock of the AFL, other club supporters and slowly our own supporters are laughing and have had enough. If the club stuff this review/coaching process up it will be the final blow for so many

We are not on our knees and who gives a * what other supporters think.

As for our own supporters, even they are unreasonable even in successful years

Why, because's he's not on the field? Neither is the coach.

Off-field encompasses things like memberships, merch, sponsorships/partnerships, facilities, alternate revenue streams, community outreach etc.

On-field is anything pertaining to performance and fitness, which is basically Lloyd's only focus - managing the coaches, medicos, players, list etc.
Fair enough.

You mean another Mick Malthouse Ace? I think i might agree with you, he's not doing much at the Hawks right now.

Really? From my view he is getting the most out of what is a young and seemingly limited Hawthorn list. Developing some of their later picks really well (Kosi, Jiath, Hardwick, Moore). I think he’d be a great fit in any role at Carlton.

Wouldn't say on our knees. More like just standing up trying to get our balance.

From conversations with other team's supporters i usually get one of these responses.

1. Hate our club and happy to see us struggle.
2. See the potential with some real youthful talent.
3. Pity.

It's the third one that irks me. Reminds me of Talking Heads - And you might ask yourself... how did we get here? Watching the games go by.

I really hope our 32 year old and under fans’ experience of a Carlton premiership isn’t Once in a Lifetime

Bit over the top we aren’t a laughing stock.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not quite. I’d argue Lloyd comes under the off field category.

You're correct in stating Lloyd isn't part of onfield , neither is the coaching group, recruiting, or the fitness people. On field is the players. Lloyd is specifically part of the administration of the Football Department which is part of the current review. It is an off field position, the confusion comes from people lumping all aspects of what happens off field under the one category which isn't right.

When people speak of flying off field it's generally in relation more to the business admin side of things (which impacts our financial position) which comes under those areas under the oversight of the CEO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attended a lunch today at The Australian Club (I know, I know....terrible place).

Anyway....sat nearby Mark Korda. 3 things he was happy to disclose:

1. Collingwood will not be hiring Clarkson. Apparently 'they can't afford him'. (Not sure what that means...)
2. Sayers 'has been badgering Clarkson for months now'. Blues are still in his ear but Clarkson remains uncommitted.
3. No love lost between Korda and Eddie. He knows Eddie is trying to depose him and is right in Jeff Browne's corner.
Thanks for sharing, I believe you; this doesn't seem over the top or exaggerated. How was the club? I visit an office that looks into the clubs garden, only ever seen 70-year-old blokes getting coffees or wine by their servants. Very elite vibe

Attended a lunch today at The Australian Club (I know, I know....terrible place).

Anyway....sat nearby Mark Korda. 3 things he was happy to disclose:

1. Collingwood will not be hiring Clarkson. Apparently 'they can't afford him'. (Not sure what that means...)
2. Sayers 'has been badgering Clarkson for months now'. Blues are still in his ear but Clarkson remains uncommitted.
3. No love lost between Korda and Eddie. He knows Eddie is trying to depose him and is right in Jeff Browne's corner.

#Blackandwhitemour?

Call it funny, but I didn't feel this way at all from 2015-17. I was more than content to sit through it; my impression of the competition was that it was going through a rough patch at the end of an era. I watched all the games and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Now, I watch the games and spend an awful lot of time wondering what the fu** I'm even doing. I'm watching in the vaguest hope that maybe, this weekend, I might get to see a game of footy break out, and then if it does praying to the footy gods that the coaches don't stifle it.

What's happening out there at the moment even between the good teams isn't footy anymore, not really. They - the AFL - have kind of exposed it to be a slightly more unwritten version of WWE; the result isn't penned before the start of the games, but the narratives are predetermined, the players and their images shaped and coifed to ensure maximum enjoyment. It isn't enough to know that player x is a bloody good backman; no, we have to know about their baking habit and their backgrounds and their twitch stream; we need to know about the obstacles in their lives, and how well they get on with the commentary team via exceptionally shitty interviews. They write the headlines and the articles before the games, and pen the details in as they happen. If the unexpected occurs, then they reach for a list of tropes to apply from each team and work with those; it's why games which we win has Cripps or Doc in the bests despite neither really having good years.

And the games themselves, they're barely spectacles. Once, who you were didn't matter, what mattered was that you went in for the ball and wanted it more than the other bloke. But now, you've got packs of 15 players tapping and avoiding taking possession for fear of being tackled; you've got players who want it more getting pinged for holding the ball and incorrect disposal multiple times per game because the rules reward the person second to the ball. What's in the back? What's a high contact free kick, unless you're a marquee player?

You have uncontested marks all over the backline, because teams are simply too good at blocking and the umpires not good enough at picking it up. You are more likely to get a free kick for chopping the arms or body contact than you are to take a contested mark inside forward 50. You are more likely to get a high free kick or an in the back than you are to kick a goalsneak's goal from within congestion. You are more likely to win a dropping the ball free than you are to get an in the back.

What's a suspendable act, if you're a marquee player?

This isn't much to do with where we are on the ladder; it might be another reason to feel worse about it, but before I was a massive Carlton fan I was a fan of the sport itself.

And the sport is in a borderline nonexistent state at present.
It just isn't cricket ...errr football.

I love the blues but lost most of my interest in the sport.

It just isn't cricket ...errr football.

I love the blues but lost most of my interest in the sport.

The sport itself hasn't lost me, the League that our team plays in lost me long ago.

AFL isn't the game.

AFL type football barely resembles Aussie Rules Football at it's best. It's lost the uniqueness which makes it just another predominantly boring football game.

Thanks for sharing, I believe you; this doesn't seem over the top or exaggerated. How was the club? I visit an office that looks into the clubs garden, only ever seen 70-year-old blokes getting coffees or wine by their servants. Very elite vibe

Never attended the Aussie Club before. Expected more to be honest. Just a room full of investment managers all talking up their funds.

Korda came across as a decent bloke. Very happy to chat to everyone.

The sport itself hasn't lost me, the League that our team plays in lost me long ago.

AFL isn't the game.

AFL type football barely resembles Aussie Rules Football at it's best. It's lost the uniqueness which makes it just another predominantly boring football game.

I encourage everyone to get down to local footy, there’s some incredibly good games full of very talented footballers.

Best non AFL game I’ve ever seen was just a couple of weeks ago between Strathmore and Keilor in the EDFL, top of the table clash and the footy on show was exhilarating. Good bit of Barney to top it off to!!!
Going to be a ripping finals series in the EDFL, absolutely nothing between the top 3 or 4 teams.

I’m not down as much as others on AFL though, still plenty of exhilarating games and moments. Even last nights game after half time was bloody good to watch

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back