Bluemour Melting Pot XXIX

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder which club would be keen though? He was really good in parts last year, but hardly put together one 4-quarter performance. Development has been treacle slow otherwise, and he's now in his 5th year. Clock is ticking for him to become a decent footballer.

I'm genuinely struggling to think of one option.
Fair question. I'm not sure how many clubs are after big bodied inside mid type players at the moment.

I've been meaning to say this for a while but I keep forgetting.

Ross said something about having an interest or a hand in our recruiting on some show a couple of months back. We took this to mean that he was hoping to get the head coaching job, or he had an interest through his good mate Stephen Silvagni.

If Ross gets the job, I don't see him decimating the list that SOS built. He will try to resurrect some careers with a different gameplan.

I do wonder however, if Ross is out of the equation, because Liddle won't want a SOS man as coach.

yeah because we won’t get the best coach available because Liddle doesn’t like SOS - liddle is a salesman and with all due respect to him no amount of salesmanship is going to help his cause with membership and turnover if this football team doesnt start performing.

if ross is the best man for the job he gets the job … if liddle doesnt like it see you later mate … plenty of people can sell stories and memberships if the teams winning games of footy

The only club I can possibly see who would be mildly interested is Collingwood.

I guess Essendon might still have a need for a tall inside mid. Sydney as a Kennedy replacement. Fremantle as a Mundy replacement although with Serong and Cerra, that may not be needed. Cunnington towards the end at North. Hawks have Worpel and ? as true inside mids. Richmond as a Cotchin replacement? They've struggled with Townsend in the past, and Graham is on the fringe.

The only club I can possibly see who would be mildly interested is Collingwood.

Possibly, they are rebuilding their list and might see the benefit in bringing in a guy who's got 50 odd games of AFL experience.

Worst case he's a stop gap for a few seasons, best case he develops into a decent complimentary inside mid which was what we'd hoped he'd become.

yeah because we won’t get the best coach available because Liddle doesn’t like SOS - liddle is a salesman and with all due respect to him no amount of salesmanship is going to help his cause with membership and turnover if this football team doesnt start performing.

if ross is the best man for the job he gets the job … if liddle doesnt like it see you later mate … plenty of people can sell stories and memberships if the teams winning games of footy

Well, I'm hoping this is the case. Our review doesn't go far enough for my liking.

I wonder how much say Liddle will have in the process, especially if the review is rather unfavourable for him

The review isn't looking at him.

I guess Essendon might still have a need for a tall inside mid. Sydney as a Kennedy replacement. Fremantle as a Mundy replacement although with Serong and Cerra, that may not be needed. Cunnington towards the end at North. Hawks have Worpel and ? as true inside mids. Richmond as a Cotchin replacement? They've struggled with Townsend in the past, and Graham is on the fringe.

We could do with a “fringe” player like Graham right now

Agreed - also I'd like to see external reviews of ALL departments every 18months - 2 years.

At least until we start having success, and then we can do it every 3 years or so.

I've been meaning to say this for a while but I keep forgetting.

Ross said something about having an interest or a hand in our recruiting on some show a couple of months back. We took this to mean that he was hoping to get the head coaching job, or he had an interest through his good mate Stephen Silvagni.

If Ross gets the job, I don't see him decimating the list that SOS built. He will try to resurrect some careers with a different gameplan.

I do wonder however, if Ross is out of the equation, because Liddle won't want a SOS man as coach.

Agreed, and we know Ross favours stability over continually churning over the best 22 like someone like Beveridge does. Doubt he makes any major alterations to the 22 other than structurally making sure it holds up over the course of a season.

Could be some long run ups for guys returning from injury via the reserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could do with a “fringe” player like Graham right now

We really could. I quite like him. Seems coachable and fits in wherever asked. Aside from him lacking pace, and us really needing more pace, I'd offer him some consistent game time.

Agreed, and we know Ross favours stability over continually churning over the best 22 like someone like Beveridge does. Doubt he makes any major alterations to the 22 other than structurally making sure it holds up over the course of a season.

If we lose games and he doesn't make changes, this place will explode.

The fact we are gifting Murphy the next four games no matter performance is a great example of what’s wrong with our club. What motivation does he or others who are pushing for his spot have ? That chase in the last quarter on the wing where he just gave up was a great example for the kids in showing what it takes to be a professional.

Well, I'm hoping this is the case. Our review doesn't go far enough for my liking.

I agree with you.

Club should do an organisation wide review. Unfortunately that's impossible without having multiple teams. If you go FD you need footy people. If you go business you need professional auditors.

That might be true in terms of best 22 over the course of the season. Not necessarily so in regards to list structure.

In the trade period subsequent to Ross Lyon joined the Dockers they made 10 list changes.

In the following trade period the Dockers made a further 10 list changes.

At St. Kilda they made 12 list changes his first year (4 rookies) the first year.

If The Boss lands at the Blues there will be changes even if he subsequently settles on a best 22.

won't believe it until I hear the exact same thing 50 more times..........

So you'll be coming around to the idea, approximately mid-morning tomorrow?

The captaincy change would certainly be interesting. That's a huge leadership change going from dual captains to 2 fresh faces in Weitering and Walsh.
Weiters would make an excellent captain. Such a measured and calming presence.

Would like to think the club knows better than to force VC on Walsh this early. Keep Cripps as VC for the time being, let Doc get back to his best without that burden and let Walsh take over captaincy when he’s fully developed.

But then again, the club rarely if ever makes sound judgement calls in this era

Apparently. But he’d have little to no trade value based on his showing this year. Hard to see how we accommodate all of Cripps Kennedy and Setterfield in the one team even if his form warranted it.
Not keen to trade him unless he shows nothing in the next 12 months.

Re slow midfield, guess it comes down to rotations. Also, the way our injury luck has been going wouldn't hurt to have some mid depth. An in form Setters would've been handy this season as Cripps' body has been a problem. Perhaps this leads back to the Constable rumour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back