Bluemour Melting Pot XXV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued here ...

Backline next season will include Weitering, Jones in the key posts, Doc, Saad and Plowman leaving one spot for Marchbank, Willo, Newman, SPS to fight over. Marchbank is too good to leave out when fit so likely Newman gets the 7th spot on the bench freeing up Willo to the wing so he can hit forwards lace out from 55 metres away and SPS to a fwd/mid rotation.

Gives us Cripps, Oliver, Williams, Ed, Setterfield as our main mids with SPS and Walsh rolling through from the wings and Fisher and Martin rotating from the forward line. Kemp and possibly Stocker, LOB and Dow also likely to get a run.

That is the future, no room for a 33/34 year old who at best has one year left of serviceable output.

There's 7 spots for defenders not 6. 1 on the bench.

Right now Willo & SPS have those spots but we'll see if Marchy & Newman overtake them. Marchbank is too good to leave out? I'm not convinced since I think Teague wants more run out of defence and while he's athletic for a tall, he doesn't provide the run the smaller players do.

While Willo COULD work on the wing we've basically never seen it...just cause he can run doesn't mean he knows how to play the position well. Right now it's something I've only seen on Big Footy as a wish from posters...nothing from the club indicates to me he's a serious shot at being a permanent winger.

I would like SPS in the mid/forward as well...but actually we're pretty stacked in those areas too these days if we land Williams and possibly Oliver.

You obviously don't want anymore of Murphy but based on selections the club will definitely select him for rd 1 unless he has a really poor pre-season.

Majak Daw DFA.

Could play ruck or KPD.

Just as insurance.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

For who?
No where near AFL standard.

Right now Willo & SPS have those spots but we'll see if Marchy & Newman overtake them. Marchbank is too good to leave out? I'm not convinced since I think Teague wants more run out of defence and while he's athletic for a tall, he doesn't provide the run the smaller players do.

While Willo COULD work on the wing we've basically never seen it...just cause he can run doesn't mean he knows how to play the position well. Right now it's something I've only seen on Big Footy as a wish from posters...nothing from the club indicates to me he's a serious shot at being a permanent winger.

I would like SPS in the mid/forward as well...but actually we're pretty stacked in those areas too these days if we land Williams and possibly Oliver.

You obviously don't want anymore of Murphy but based on selections the club will definitely select him for rd 1 unless he has a really poor pre-season.

Don’t get Saad, play tall and mobile like Geelong.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Backline next season will include Weitering, Jones in the key posts, Doc, Saad and Plowman leaving one spot for Marchbank, Willo, Newman, SPS to fight over. Marchbank is too good to leave out when fit so likely Newman gets the 7th spot on the bench freeing up Willo to the wing so he can hit forwards lace out from 55 metres away and SPS to a fwd/mid rotation.

Gives us Cripps, Oliver, Williams, Ed, Setterfield as our main mids with SPS and Walsh rolling through from the wings and Fisher and Martin rotating from the forward line. Kemp and possibly Stocker, LOB and Dow also likely to get a run.

That is the future, no room for a 33/34 year old who at best has one year left of serviceable output.
If we get Oliver, Saad and Williams we pick our best side every single week and expect to win every single week. If Murphy is in that then he plays imo.
If he is getting a game he is either playing well or our kids are poor. Either way he should be in the side if he is our best option

Oliver is a very, very different cat. Can easily rub people the wrong way, is also very driven to succeed.

Some see it as FIGJAM, others will use it to drive their own performance. If you had more of that type in the club, could be uncomfortable for quieter types to find the space they need to prepare themselves. Having one only can be managed.
Great feedback. Still very much buyer beware isn't it. Could get an elite player but really upset the apple cart. The fact that there is rumours around Cripps getting around him and essentially help convince him to come is a very positive sign as I'm sure Cripps could sniff out whether the guy wouldn't fit into the team culture, but yeah very much wanna make sure you get that right before you sell the farm, both salary cap as well as draft picks.

Well, seems our main targets have been established. Williams, Saad, Oliver.

Could another be in the mix, yet to be announced? Maybe

Next, a couple of lower priced/left field options

It's going to be a wild ride

Love some Alex Sexton action

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we’re okay for mature rucks. We may just go for a project ruck through the draft rather than actively seeking a mature ager.

TDK could be no 1 for us on the back of a good pre season. Pittonet is solid and Levi excellent at the fwd/ruck role.

Absolutely think Pittonet starts 2021 as number 1 ruck. TDK can start the two's and continue building up to the level he can ruck a whole game first. Levi dont see in the 22. Depth for me.

IF it has got to the point that Oliver has said he wants to come to carlton, then surely assurances have been made that a deal would get done.

There would be Absolutely no reason to chase him, and supposedly have cripps help recruit him if this were not the case.

Can't have the embarrassment of a papely fiasco again this year.

However I still think it's all bs, and no chance of happening anyway.

Still quite pleased we didnt pick up Papley TBH. Wrong player at the wrong time IMO.

All this Oliver talk and trade scenarios is absolute rubbish and madness.
Under no circumstances should we throw away two years worth of top picks and a player we put years into for a player we don't particularly need, just because he is unhappy at his current club.

I hope Melbourne tell us to get ****ed and slam this supposed deal on the head. A massive NO to Oliver from me. Feels like the Ratten scenario all over again - the grass is always greener on the other side

What’s your thoughts on Kennedy? We worked hard to get him too and to date hasn’t worked, surely we don’t ignore the chance of bringing in quality players because it pushes out ones we like?

I really rate Oliver, I just don’t see the point of getting someone like him, when we have mids like Cripps and Setters, if he did come, I don’t see Setters developing in to a winger or a half forward. If we didn’t have Gov up forward at least I could see Cripps and Setters rotating.

I don’t see how a starting midfield with Cripps, Setters, Oliver and Ed could work.

Who said they all have to be on the field, in the midfield at the same time?

Listed 7, Newman was on the bench, starting with Weitering, Jones, Doc, Plowman, Saad and Marchbank. Would move Willo and SPS into attacking roles. Both have serious ability to hit targets, our biggest weakness when going forward.

Murphy may well start round one, merely suggesting he is the most expendable given he will be 34 next season and plays no part in our future past 2021. Still have real issues with Murphy tackling and him being pushed off the ball very easily, would prefer we play the kids if the attacking output is similar because Murphy doesn’t provide much defensively.

What exactly is the attitude problem for Oliver? If it's some sort of FIGJAM bad attitude it's not something we want to have in our culture. If it's genuine problems with Melbourne as a club then come on down. But geez you'd wanna get that right if you are gonna give up what one would expect would be 2 x 1st rounders.

Speaking of which, how do we get both Saad and Oliver done? Split this year's 1st into 2 x 1st rounders (ie. Geelong), one to Bombers and one to Melbourne (plus a 2021 draft pick)?

The attitude problem may be he’s uncompromising on winning and hence been looking to leave that club for over a year now.

He won their best and fairest last year and yet he was the “big fish” rumor of coming to us last year. No one would say his name - said it was super secret etc. only got revealed that it was him after it didn’t happen.

But there’s been issues between him and his club. Which isn’t surprising in that he’s a competitive beast and they went from a preliminary final to almost a wooden spoon. He’s probably been let down by his teammates and coaches many a time. Him resonating with Cripps makes sense - two extremely competitive players who are strictly business. They play to win flags. That Cripps has convinced Oliver we can do that is exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Like it or not Murphy will be best 22 next season. I think he's deserving. There is absolutely a spot for him on the wing. I keep seeing people say Willo on the wing despite the fact we're yet to really see it...he's a defender and Teague likes a consistent back 7.

We can just about fit in Oliver anyway by reports...if we need a bit more space it would be the likes of Kennedy & JSOS.

Agree Willo plays out of the back 6. Think the back 6 is set.

Why go after Oliver in the first place? We have his type of midfielder already, it doesn’t make sense to me, if true it seems like buying something for the sake of it.

For the cost, I think we could bring in someone who suits our needs better.
Absolutely.
Couldn't agree more.
I watch the Dees a fair bit and I can't see any reason why we would want him here.

None of these people watch him or Melbourne or they wouldn't be spouting the s**t they are now. Just highlight packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back