Bluemour Melting Pot XXVIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the frustration, fu** I’m frustrated too.

but some of the sh*t posted on here I hope they never come within 100 metres of the club, let alone running the place

Instead of attacking people and falling short of abusing them, why don’t you just give us your thoughts and solutions on the current predicament and leave it at that? Tha goes for a number of other posters lurking and attacking, instead of adding their thought on the solution.

Last edited:

Instead of attacking people and falling short of abusing them, why don’t you just give us your thoughts and solutions on the current predicament and leave it at that? Tha goes for a number of other posters lurking and attacking instead of adding anything their thought on the solution.
Patience champ- is that enough for you?

Get your hand off it.

Fitzroy won 2 and 1 matches in its last two seasons. With % of 49% and 58%.

Yes, we've been bad. We've maybe been very bad.

But we haven't been atrocious and we certainly haven't been Fitzroy bad.

We're not even last in the league, let alone historically crap.
Not entirely correct.

Last 8 years of fitzroys existence , they won 50 games
Last 8 years of Carlton (2020 back) we've won 51 games

both won 2 spoons during this period
Fitzroy finished just outside the final 5 (6) to miss finals 1989
carlton did so also, but played due to Essendon cheating

we have mirrored Fitzroy results, And they were broke for much of it

we have mirrored Fitzroy results, And they were broke for much of it

Note: I'm not comparing Carlton to Fitzroy here but...

Not only were they broke but the VFL/AFL actively ensured that they were losing talent left, right, and centre throughout it all.

How many players did the AFL all but help leave that club?

It was a significant part of the systematic destruction of that football club.

They had a ton of high-end talent.

Note: I'm not comparing Carlton to Fitzroy here but...

Not only were they broke but the VFL/AFL actively ensured that they were losing talent left, right, and centre throughout it all.

How many players did the AFL all but help leave that club?

It was a significant part of the systematic destruction of that football club.

They had a ton of high-end talent.

Thanks for posting this reply & Isn’t funny how some people in life will take only the most convenient snap shot of information to suit their argument.
On-field we have been and continue to be a shambles.This is not the Carlton FC that I grown up with. if you think everything is fine and My negative opinion of our on field performance is over the top then that’s cool. only hoping for some semblance of accountability and ultimately change. Peace out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Instead of attacking people and falling short of abusing them, why don’t you just give us your thoughts and solutions on the current predicament and leave it at that? Tha goes for a number of other posters lurking and attacking, instead of adding their thought on the solution.

I guess everyone has their unique skill set.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just my opinion but personally this is what i see as massive failures from the club.
THE REBUILD.
From the day they announced it it was doomed. We were a club that was going to play the kids and rely on them for future long term sustained success. There was 2 big problems with this. 1 is that we had no stand alone VFL side which if you look at the good clubs this is what they have and 2 had either a non existing or very poor development program because rarely did we try and draft our own and turn them into A graders. Both of these things should of been in place years before we decided to start the rebuild.
Take Geelong for example. Their draftees sit in their VFL side for maybe 3 or 4 years before they even get a look in. Here we are gifting them games from day 1.
We got rid of too many players too quick. There is no doubt those players needed to go but at what cost? The stupid thing was we got rid of them to only replace them with just as bad or worse players. At least with the players we had on the list some of them had been at Carlton for a while and at least had little bit of Carlton pride. We just replaced them with players from other teams who did not give a stuff about Carlton and these were meant to be the players showing our young guys the way come on. Then after that it was bring in every C grader possible..
The kids had no one to learn off and really still dont.
I think players like SPS, Obrien etc were hard done by in their introduction to AFL. They really could not of gone to a worse club.

DRAFTING
I do not think we went wrong in the draft. Everyone we picked would of been picked within a few picks later by other clubs. The Carlton system let those kids down. The Carlton club let those kids down. Obviously not every recruiter is going to nail every pick but there is no way in hell literally all our draft picks are failures to this extent at the moment. It would of been intresting to see if a player like Dow ended up at Richmond or Geelong and brought up in a real development program with real leaders and culture around the club. I dont think our draft picks were a failure i think our club failed them.

RECRUITING
Well early days we really had a problem because trying to get any good players to come Carlton in the middle of a full list rebuild was virtually impossible. We had nothing at all to sell them so no good player in their right mind was going to come to Carlton so this basically left us with dregs which then was a flow on to the development of the kids.
But with our midfield being the absolue biggest problem because it bats about 2 deep and thats it. Carlton in their wisdom go and recruit 2 half back flankers on big dollars. 1 was supposed to fix our midfield issue. Well as everything done at Carlton that turned out not so well and our midfield is still the biggest issue. Actually to the point that our 20 year old midfielder is now the one being tagged. Yep great work Carlton even though most with a brain know the midfield is the main link in the chain.

COACHES-BOLTON.
Whoever took the head coaching at Carlton at the start of the rebuild was a dead man walking that is why no senior coaches wanted the job and it come down to Bolton and Barker and i have no doubt the club probably told Barker you might want to step away from this one. I actually do not think Bolton was that bad of a coach i think club and players really let him down He was told play the kids at all costs and eventually it cost him his job.

TEAGUE
Honestly not sure what went on here. Generally when a new coach comes in the assistants are also replaced. We kept them all. This means that the messages that were being said when Bolton ws coaching are still the same messages getting slung around now. I really do not get it. How about some fresh eyes with some fresh ideas and messages. Is Teague perfect? No way he is not but neither is any other coach and Teague just 40 games into his senior coaching career i am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and would at least like to see him get next year with some new assistants behind him. I dont believe his game plan is that bad. We havent copped any floggings yet and for 90% of most games were in them and should of won them so that tells me the plan stacks up for the most part. At this stage i would not be replacing him unless you are going to replace him some extraordinary like a Clarko or something. I dont believe Ross Lyon s the go as i was always bored watching St Kilda play when he coached because he was far to defensive. My opinion i think Teague should stay for now unless he has lost the players which i dont believe he has.

PLAYERS
Well this for me is 90% of our problem. We have a lot of C+ players on our list who in a good side would be struggling to be in their best 30 players. I have said this for quite some time now that i believe that the players that we have are barely coachable and that is being generous. I believe our team would probably rank lowest for footy IQ in the competition. Constantly making bad decisions, always just blazing away with the ball and no composure. I believe a lot of our players are struggling to mature. Nothing annoys me more when i see our players on the field doing stupid little handshakes and things . This tells me they have the maturity of a 12 year old. You dont see the good teams doing that crap. It honestly looks to me like these players treat every game as though they all getting together to go have a game of paintball. Semi serious but mainly just there for fun. Not bad when you can pull in a 6 figure slary along the way to doing it.
Their absolute defiance to pressure and tackle and run hard both ways is the biggest glaring issue for me. Absolute glory hunters the lot of them. Run hard in attack but nothing in defending. If i was Weitering and Jones i would hate the rest of my team mates. So my thoughts are is we have a bunch of immature, low footy IQ players and we are going to struggle. Effort doesnt need skill and most of our players bring none.

THE BOARD
Well the club is great in an off field position no problems there but quite honestly i dont give a crap. Onfield has been the biggest issue for a long time and its not getting better which the board is also responsible. for. For me there seems to be a real disconnect between administartion and footy department at that club. Carlton seem so worried about being the front runner for every known social issue on earth that it has completely forgotten what its main thing is and that is an Australian Rules Football club. I could not give a stuff about off field pull ya bloody head in and get this team to win some games. 1 underlying factor over all these years is that it has been the same people or mates of those people who think the same that have been in board positions this whole time. The club has not been successfull since the John Elliot era. And 1 thing that is a really really really huge issue for me is that now this club seems to just want to wipe its hands of our past achievements, heritage and players. After listening to Kouta and speaking with him he has not been back to the club in 14 years nor has he been invited to participate in anything at the club in that time and same goes for past players. I am no rocket scientist but would it not be a huge thing for present players to see some past premiership players and legends of the club hanging around to instill into these players what the club is all about. If i was a present player it would be a huge boost. I always remember Peter Dean saying after every game he never just took his guernsey off and threw it he always folded it and handed it to the property stewart. He loved that club. These players have none of that attitude. The board needs to worry more about promoting our heritage at the club and stop trying to be world leaders in every issue. To be honest i would not be disappointed to see a board challenge and some fresh faces. Maybe thats why they called this fake review because they see what is happening at Collingwood and they dont want the same at Carlton. Seriously something has to change there.

POTY for me!

Sums up my thoughts exactly.

Already, the club has announced, unusually, that three senior players – captain Patrick Cripps and defenders Jacob Weitering and Liam Jones – will front the media first thing Monday.
- Damien Barrett

When was this announced?
Well I hope they are honest and tell the world they all don't enjoy Teagues gameplan. That they are annoyed he plays favourites. And that the individual players aren't playing as a team. Also cripps thinks its ok to be a sook on the field.

If its anything else, then its not worth the presser as they aren't being honest

God bless the "we're not that bad" sentiments of this forum.

Thankfully most Carlton supporters aren't that ignorant
Exactly !! This losing culture mentality that it it ok !!
It’s not ok , teams are achieving a lot more with a lot less talent on their list

and what do these teams have , game plan and all 22 players buying in and backing each other

its the " its our fault, not the coach" presser.
"we're gonna be boxing this week, and Adelaide doesnt stand a chance.

"who are you going to be boxing guys"?

"mark mcclure and Rhys jones, against all of us. PPV tickets available at end of presser"
Loved him as a player. Bit I actually wouldn't mind watching Sellers get his nose spread across his face by a left hook from Crippa.

God bless the "we're not that bad" sentiments of this forum.

Thankfully most Carlton supporters aren't that ignorant

No, we should all hold the view that we are the worst club in the last 20 years and will be that way for another 20 years unless we overthrow, sack everyone at the club, otherwise the minority remain ignorant

Exactly !! This losing culture mentality that it it ok !!
It’s not ok , teams are achieving a lot more with a lot less talent on their list

and what do these teams have , game plan and all 22 players buying in and backing each other

Yep, and don’t buy that we don’t have to do much to turn it round. We don’t play against witches’ hats. AFL is the elite level and flaws in game plan and player commitment get exposed pretty quick. Opposition clubs know pretty quick which players “aren’t on.”

Teams’ spend entire pre-seasons working on structures, game plans etc. Nowadays, the top 8 usually remains pretty much the same after round 8 or so. We need to be ready to go from round 1 next year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Something I should have asked 5 weeks ago, who the bloody hell is Sellers?

And what of that nickname? Well, Carlton folklore has it that Premiership ruckman ‘Percy’ Jones dubbed Maclure “Sellers” because Mark used to bumble his way around Princes Park like Peter Sellers’ famous character, Inspector Clouseau, in the popular Pink Panther movie series. However, in a 2012 radio interview, Maclure revealed that it was in fact Carlton trainer Leo Brooks who came up with the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back