Born a Bomber

virbull

Draftee
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Born in Essendon and although I only lived there 9 months my Dad was born and bred there. Napier Street. He tells me stories of stealing into Windy Hill to watch games. He rates Bill Hutchinson and John Coleman as the best from that era. in fact, there is a picture of John Coleman in the book that came out a few years ago that saw his return to University High School and play in game. In the photo there is a guy trying to punch the ball from Coleman (jumping but about a foot lower) .... well that is my Dad. Until this 4 past 10 years I rate the 70's by far our worst decade and unfortunately I had to go to school during these years and in Eltham where 3 out of 4 kids followed Collingwood. Bring on the 80's though and the 84 Grand Final which is right up there as the best day of my life. I only wish I was in Melbourne then but I was living in Brisbane as I was in 85 when we were a power house. !990 was devastating and I was back in Eltham by then. It started with Salmon marking and kicking a goal and I though "Here we go" but that was the last shot we fired for the day. 93 was unbelievable. I was a social club member by then and my son and I went to every game we could. What a year. The best there ever was. 2000 was just awesome but it should have been the middle premiership of three in a row. 99? Well, nothing more can be said about that. 2001? If people say Sheedy won the 84 GF for us I think he lost the 2001 for us. The ball was just continually bombed into Lloyd in the forward line and he was getting killed by Michael. They should have lowered their eyes and kicked it to Lucas...... Ah well. I am more concerned about the club and the team right now. The worst 20 years in our history and it gets worse every year. When did we last have a player that was a genuine all-Australian? Our recruiting has been atrocious. Too many below-standard players recruited and drafted. A game plan and style of play is just terrible. This year has been even worse. And now Damien Barrett (who I despise) is talking about Hurley, Hooker, Saad, Fantasia and Daniher leaving. If this is true we have another 20 years to wait. The club has been decimated. Membership has plummeted. In the 90's I coached Eltham Juniors (Under 10 and 12) and most kids were wearing Essendon Jumpers with number 4 on the back........ It isn't happening any more and who can blame them. Essendon are starting to look like Fitzroy of old, or even worse, like University. I can't see how this great new training facility has helped us at all. 20 million I think it was and still we are getting brushed aside like 20lb weaklings.

But despite all of this I can only follow this club. it's in my DNA. If we were to lose Essendon I would not follow football at all. So I was born a bomber and I'll die a bomber.

Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Born in Essendon and although I only lived there 9 months my Dad was born and bred there. Napier Street. He tells me stories of stealing into Windy Hill to watch games. He rates Bill Hutchinson and John Coleman as the best from that era. in fact, there is a picture of John Coleman in the book that came out a few years ago that saw his return to University High School and play in game. In the photo there is a guy trying to punch the ball from Coleman (jumping but about a foot lower) .... well that is my Dad. Until this 4 past 10 years I rate the 70's by far our worst decade and unfortunately I had to go to school during these years and in Eltham where 3 out of 4 kids followed Collingwood. Bring on the 80's though and the 84 Grand Final which is right up there as the best day of my life. I only wish I was in Melbourne then but I was living in Brisbane as I was in 85 when we were a power house. !990 was devastating and I was back in Eltham by then. It started with Salmon marking and kicking a goal and I though "Here we go" but that was the last shot we fired for the day. 93 was unbelievable. I was a social club member by then and my son and I went to every game we could. What a year. The best there ever was. 2000 was just awesome but it should have been the middle premiership of three in a row. 99? Well, nothing more can be said about that. 2001? If people say Sheedy won the 84 GF for us I think he lost the 2001 for us. The ball was just continually bombed into Lloyd in the forward line and he was getting killed by Michael. They should have lowered their eyes and kicked it to Lucas...... Ah well. I am more concerned about the club and the team right now. The worst 20 years in our history and it gets worse every year. When did we last have a player that was a genuine all-Australian? Our recruiting has been atrocious. Too many below-standard players recruited and drafted. A game plan and style of play is just terrible. This year has been even worse. And now Damien Barrett (who I despise) is talking about Hurley, Hooker, Saad, Fantasia and Daniher leaving. If this is true we have another 20 years to wait. The club has been decimated. Membership has plummeted. In the 90's I coached Eltham Juniors (Under 10 and 12) and most kids were wearing Essendon Jumpers with number 4 on the back........ It isn't happening any more and who can blame them. Essendon are starting to look like Fitzroy of old, or even worse, like University. I can't see how this great new training facility has helped us at all. 20 million I think it was and still we are getting brushed aside like 20lb weaklings.

But despite all of this I can only follow this club. it's in my DNA. If we were to lose Essendon I would not follow football at all. So I was born a bomber and I'll die a bomber.
Stop by the bombers board and share this!

Back