Boxing

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I am wanting to start doing some boxing with a mate using focus pads to mix up my training a little bit. I did some boxing at footy training the other night and I had no idea what to do in terms of routines. Can anyone point me towards some good beginner info and routines? Does anyone else on this board do boxing training?

Cheers:thumbsu:

I've done a fair bit of boxing this pre season to get ready for footy.

Combining running with the boxing is good as cptkirk said, really tests your fitness and concentration levels.

I don't know any good info or routines though, just mix things up or use google, master of everything. ;)

Mate, I'm far from a boxer but this is some of the stuff I've done over pre-season...

*Left foot forward, always start with left hand and punch across your body, so the 'padder' knows your left is coming to his left*

Warm-up
-100 crosses
-100 high crosses (above shoulder height)
-100 upper cuts
-100 sit down punches (sit, back towards partner who stands over you, punch straight up and down)
-10 sit ups with 10 punches at the top of each (partner stands on your feet)

1 punch, 1 push-up, 2 punches, 2 push-ups etc...10-12 is pretty good

Combination work: do each one 10 times in quick succession, the 'padder' controls the speed, so when he flashes the left pad, you react and begin the combination

2's- left jab, right cross
3's- left, right, left
4's- left, right, left, right
3 and hook- 3 punches and a right hook
2 and hook- 2 punches and a left hook
# and duck- punches and duck, padder throws one over the top
# and block- punches and then block an incoming strike by externally rotating your shoulder to block pad with your forearm
# and uppercut- punches and big uppercut

Then you can mix these up and experiment with different combos eg. "3, duck, uppercut"

1 punch, 1 shuttle run (goal square), 2 punches, 2 sit ups, 3 punches, 3 shuttles, 4 punches, 4 sit-ups etc

I hope these make sense mate, good luck

I've been boxing for around 15 years now (started at a very young age).

There are fantastic boxing combinations that can target every muscle.

http://how-to-box.com/content/boxing-combinations

This website provides some good basic drills to undertake.

(ps. its pretty handy to do some skipping also to keep yourself in rythem).

I did about eighteen months of Boxing. Nothing competitive, just training. Really great way to maintain fitness and improve it. When you start to fatigue, it can even be challenging to keep your hands up protecting your face, let alone throw combinations.

I'd say every professional athlete would do Boxing to keep fit. Bouncing around on your feet, throwing combinations of punches uses a lot the muscles in your body, plus you have to concentrate. Definitely gets the heart racing.

I did about eighteen months of Boxing. Nothing competitive, just training. Really great way to maintain fitness and improve it. When you start to fatigue, it can even be challenging to keep your hands up protecting your face, let alone throw combinations.

I'd say every professional athlete would do Boxing to keep fit. Bouncing around on your feet, throwing combinations of punches uses a lot the muscles in your body, plus you have to concentrate. Definitely gets the heart racing.
I can relate to this, helps condition your body and keep it in shape also by gaining fitness too.

Good for eye coordination too.

Jab
Jab-right
Duck
Jab-right-hook
Jab-right-hook-right
Side to side

Repeat. You'll be ****ed in no time. If you're south paw you get the drill.

Breathing is very important. Foot work as in stay balanced, step into your hits and and twist at the waist. Chin down, core tight, throw fast and don't try to overload your punches it's timing, speed, turning and breathing and the power will flow with it. Whip it out fast, whip it back in.

Throw them out fast and get those hands back to your chin, temple.

Practice practice practice!

When boxing was at it's zenith in the era/s of Ali, Frazier, Duran, Hagler, Hearns, Monzon etc, IMO they were the fittest athletes on the planet.

Any activity where you have to use strength, endurance, speed, explosiveness combined with fighting off another individual at an elite level you need to be supremely conditioned.

If you have ever been involved in a physical confrontation over a minute or two you would know what it takes out of you let alone over fifteen three minute rounds.

When boxing was at it's zenith in the era/s of Ali, Frazier, Duran, Hagler, Hearns, Monzon etc, IMO they were the fittest athletes on the planet.

Any activity where you have to use strength, endurance, speed, explosiveness combined with fighting off another individual at an elite level you need to be supremely conditioned.

If you have ever been involved in a physical confrontation over a minute or two you would know what it takes out of you let alone over fifteen three minute rounds.

Now we're talking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am wanting to start doing some boxing with a mate using focus pads to mix up my training a little bit. I did some boxing at footy training the other night and I had no idea what to do in terms of routines. Can anyone point me towards some good beginner info and routines? Does anyone else on this board do boxing training?

Cheers:thumbsu:
Check out the Freddie Roach youtube videos. They are as good they they get
Here's one, use it as a link to others.

[Also, learn how to shadow box, it's tougher than what you might think]

Good thread but. Boxing training looks like awesome fun. Anyone still doing it? I've been looking for a pull up /dip tower thing with the bag allowance on it to pop up locally.

I boxed for 14 years as a young adult. All seniors, (over 17) (from 20 to 34) amateur stuff. Played RL never played AFL but have watched a lot of it in the last 8 years..

OK. You already train for aerobic fitness. Boxing will aid that but not necessary. Clubs use it to do something different to get a better response than 'normal' training.

What boxing CAN do for you is create neuro pathways for your arms / legs coordination. Normally you would find your dominant hand (usually the right, but a lefty is a southpaw). If you are right handed you fight with left foot forward, jab with your left hand. The right is thrown off the back right foot if done properly. A lefty throws his left off his left, back foot. Jab with his right. Anyway.... you aren't learning to fight, you are trying to improve your footy...

How do you use your arms in footy, and how do you improve that through boxing?;

I would suggest practice using both hands as a jab. That means swapping your feet and jabbing with whatever hand is forward on a heavy bag, floor to ceiling, etc.
*The way that can help your footy skills is creating neuro connections that will more naturally allow you swap hands with the ball and palming (stiff arm) opponents on either side.
*It could help you hold off an opponent, both sides, in a contest.
*Mark and catch better either side.
*Better hand eye for clean hands on the ground.

my 2c.

Last edited:
I bought bag gloves today, gonna look for a good workout program and start hitting the bag!

I joined a boxing gym in July last year and im obsessed.
Its a fitness based boxing gym compared to a technique based boxing gym but i love it.
I go twice a week and have lost about 10 kgs since July.
My fitness has increased dramatically and muscle has also grown.

The place i go is a non for profit gym so its bloody cheap compared to most boxing/mma gyms these days.
I just paid for another 12 months and it was only $300.00

Sounds perfect captain cotch 9. Do you do any bag work at home too? I'd like the technique side but I can definitely see fitness boxing suiting me more.

Do you guys all use hand wraps? I know they're recommended but seems like I'd spend more time doing those than actually hitting the bag.

Sounds perfect captain cotch 9. Do you do any bag work at home too? I'd like the technique side but I can definitely see fitness boxing suiting me more.

Do you guys all use hand wraps? I know they're recommended but seems like I'd spend more time doing those than actually hitting the bag.
Na i dont do any at home mainly because i dont have a bag haha.
When i get a bigger place Ill definatley get one.
I do wrap my hands. I dont feel like that do a great deal but its one of those things that your better off with them than without them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back