Science/Environment Brace for climate-induced conflict - Defence Department

Remove this Banner Ad

To help our neighbours.......which we won't do

We should be building cheap, reliable and safe base load power and water desalination plants for them. This is far cheaper than going to war or dealing with mass civil unrest in the future.

Russia and China are already leading the way doing this but what is Oz doing?..............nothing.

We should also be promoting legal framework changes like the TPP to promote investment in these nations. Oz is pro this initiative but the sadly caring cuddly left are doing everything they can to stop it. I guess they are pro war and civil unrest.

To help our neighbours.......which we won't do

We should be building cheap, reliable and safe base load power and water desalination plants for them. This is far cheaper than going to war or dealing with mass civil unrest in the future.

Russia and China are already leading the way doing this but what is Oz doing?..............nothing.

We should also be promoting legal framework changes like the TPP to promote investment in these nations. Oz is pro this initiative but the sadly caring cuddly left are doing everything they can to stop it. I guess they are pro war and civil unrest.

You know what else destabilises our neighbours? Bad trade deals. Mexico has only recently recovered from NAFTA. The TPP was a good strategic initiative ruined by lobbyists.

You know what else destabilises our neighbours? Bad trade deals. Mexico has only recently recovered from NAFTA. The TPP was a good strategic initiative ruined by lobbyists.

I hope every company doing international deals creates a synthetic TPP through the treaties already in place. It is easy to do if you have access to good lawyers but as usual, the average joe is penalised.

Not surprising though the TPP didn't get up as Trump's and Canada's caved into favouring the rich and established by scrapping the TPP.

do you mean to tell me it was the droughts in syria, and not the CIA which prompted the arab spring? wake up, sheeple!

I wouldn't proscribe it to one cause. The US pulled it's available levers to try get rid of Assad also.

I hope every company doing international deals creates a synthetic TPP through the treaties already in place. It is easy to do if you have access to good lawyers but as usual, the average joe is penalised.

Not surprising though the TPP didn't get up as Trump's and Canada's caved into favouring the rich and established by scrapping the TPP.

The TPP locked in the rights of the established. The whole thing was massively slanted towards protecting US patents over cheaper products. I believe Canada has pulled out of TPP11 because they're in a trade dispute with the US and holding off gives them more leverage. I've read that it's a domestic politics issue because Canadians are very educated on "Fair Trade" but I doubt that.

I wouldn't proscribe it to one cause. The US pulled it's available levers to try get rid of Assad also.

oh yeah, im no fan of single-cause fallacies either. i'm just mocking the condescending bollocks spewed by the usual suspects, which implied that those in middle eastern or african nations had no legitimate grievances or self-determination.

The whole thing was massively slanted towards protecting US patents over cheaper products.

how much of that stuff actually made it into the final document, though? i read the draft IP chapter and you could infer that there was plenty of opposition to US/JAP suggestions. IIRC the US also wanted increases to the number of years offered by patent protection, but got the finger from the rest?

The TPP locked in the rights of the established.

perhaps, but there was also some good stuff in there too. the chapter on labour in vietnam for example, which required better working conditions for employees as well as improve workers' rights to organise. (not due to altruism of course!)

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ership-agreement.1164598/page-3#post-48620870

The TPP locked in the rights of the established. The whole thing was massively slanted towards protecting US patents over cheaper products. I believe Canada has pulled out of TPP11 because they're in a trade dispute with the US and holding off gives them more leverage. I've read that it's a domestic politics issue because Canadians are very educated on "Fair Trade" but I doubt that.

I can’t see that in the treaty. Can you link the section?

Last edited:
perhaps, but there was also some good stuff in there too. the chapter on labour in vietnam for example, which required better working conditions for employees as well as improve workers' rights to organise. (not due to altruism of course!)

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ership-agreement.1164598/page-3#post-48620870
Yeah fair it's been a while since I've gone through it. Seemed ironic that the US was basically demanding Californian standards of union protection for Vietnam when union rights have been under attack across red state US for some time.

I can’t see that in the treaty. Can you link the section?
I'll go through it again Monday. For once I actually have something I'd prefer to be doing than reading a DOA multilateral trade agreement.

Yeah fair it's been a while since I've gone through it. Seemed ironic that the US was basically demanding Californian standards of union protection for Vietnam when union rights have been under attack across red state US for some time.

I'll go through it again Monday. For once I actually have something I'd prefer to be doing than reading a DOA multilateral trade agreement.

yep

a great time of the year. Just finished drinks at Matilda Bay as the sun went down.

I haven't read what you're discussing, but with direct reference to what you've stated above I can't see how that's ironic at all.
Both actions would have a tendency to level the global playing field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back