Victorian Education Department non-treatment of historical sex crime

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

How was the non treatment of historical sex crime kept so secret for so long?
Why was this ABC investigation 'dropped' on a Sunday morning ?
So many questions.

How the Victorian Education Department's historical child sexual abuse scandal was hidden for decades​

'The story ...... would soon be understood as a microcosm of the unravelling crisis of historical sexual abuse in the Victorian education system. It would reveal in granular detail the methods by which the Victorian Education Department had covered up the sexual abuse of children — methods that lawyers for survivors say have been identified in dozens of other cases.'
The catchwords..... for sentencing remarks were succinct and compelling: "historical sexual offending"; "42 charges"; "38 child complainants"; "period of offending about 31 years"; "abuse of power"; "gross breach of trust"; "brazen and prolonged offending"; "systemic failures in duty of care".

.......'the negligent dithering of the Victorian Education Department administrators who were aware of them.'

'Reynolds (the offender) would admit that the psychologist had told him his chances of rehabilitation were so low that it would be "bloody stupid" for the department to send him back into classrooms, where he "would continue to offend".

But when local police declined to press charges, sending Reynolds back into classrooms is exactly what the Victorian Education Department did. This was the point, Reynolds later told his lawyers, at which he felt he was being granted "permission to re-offend".

Between 1981 and 1992, at the Kiewa Valley, Dederang, Myrtleford, Yackandandah and Beechworth primary schools, Vincent Reynolds not only resumed his sexual abuse of boys with almost reckless abandon, but started assaulting girls too.

Reynolds told one victim: "You like that, don't ya?"'

Where will this expos'e go ?

'Their history is of abuse, systemic negligence and covering up for paedophiles'​

Most agree that government school abuse peaked between the early 1960s, when societal naivety and institutional indifference combined to savagely undermine the rights of children almost everywhere, and the late 1980s, after which mandatory reporting requirements were introduced.

They were decades of rapid societal change and, in the teaching profession, seemingly endless industrial chicanery. Underpaid and overworked, schoolteachers were nevertheless well organised. In the years of overcrowded classrooms, they were difficult to sack and replace.

And it was not just Education Department directors, district school inspectors, principals, parents and fellow teachers who looked the other way as abusers ran rampant. A more widespread indifference to the daily experiences of schoolchildren was exemplified when a journalist of the early 1970s was instructed by the education editor of a major Melbourne newspaper "not to write about what was going on in the classroom because nobody was interested".

You need to read the full report to understand the many issues raised.

'Freedom of Information (FOI) requests made last year by Hinch Justice Party MP Stuart Grimley revealed that since 2010, 381 civil litigation claims have been made against the Victorian government for sexual abuse that allegedly occurred between 1960 and 2018 in Victorian educational settings.

From a further FOI request to the Federal Department of Social Services, Grimley was informed that in its four years of operation, the National Redress Scheme — which offers counselling, apologies and capped compensation to survivors who don't want to pursue legal claims — had processed 1,639 applications from survivors of abuse in Victorian government settings. As of May 2022, 318 of them related to schools.'

Lawyers for abuse survivors, who have been filing writ after writ in Melbourne's civil courts since the conclusion of the royal commission, go even further than Grimley.

"At first I couldn't believe how common it was," says John Rule, who leads the abuse team at Maurice Blackburn Lawyers and has represented dozens of plaintiffs who've sued the Victorian Education Department in historical childhood sexual abuse matters.

"I tell people the Victorian Education Department are the worst to deal with, and that as far as cover-ups, they're every bit as bad as the worst bits of the Catholic Church, and people can't believe it.

"The cover-up was comprehensive, and they managed to slip through the gaps in terms of inquiries and royal commissions, so they've never been properly looked at or had their feet held to the fire. The extent of the problem has never been publicly documented, therefore the Education Department has never had to address it or grapple with it in any way."

Indeed, the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse did not examine a single case study specific to Victorian Education Department schools. Neither did the Victorian government's own Betrayal of Trust inquiry of 2013, which probed only religious and non-government institutions.'

I am far from a Catholic apologist, the Church needs to be continually held to account for being complicit in the behaviour under their watch, but this is an interesting read for those who have equated child sexual abuse to church entities. The sad truth seems to be that it was/is rife across various segments of our society (the Scouting Association is another good example).

It absolutely flabbergasts me that administrators (be they in the public, or private sphere) could be so heinously irresponsible to knowingly put children in harms way. The same sort of vitriol that has been (appropriately) directed at Pell et. al. should also be applied here.

What a tragic, horrendous, situation. We can only hope that the safeguards that have been put in at a federal and state level stop this sort of abhorrent behaviour from ever happening again.

I am far from a Catholic apologist, the Church needs to be continually held to account for being complicit in the behaviour under their watch, but this is an interesting read for those who have equated child sexual abuse to church entities. The sad truth seems to be that it was/is rife across various segments of our society (the Scouting Association is another good example).

It absolutely flabbergasts me that administrators (be they in the public, or private sphere) could be so heinously irresponsible to knowingly put children in harms way. The same sort of vitriol that has been (appropriately) directed at Pell et. al. should also be applied here.

What a tragic, horrendous, situation. We can only hope that the safeguards that have been put in at a federal and state level stop this sort of abhorrent behaviour from ever happening again.

Why did the Royal Commission miss it ?
If I remember rightly Pumping Billy got a hearing ...

Sadly the efforts here of Russell Jackson are being buried by his employer, the publicly funded ABC.

ABC TV BURIES THE LEAD RE HISTORICAL CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE IN VICTORIAN GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS

'On Sunday 27 August, ABC News Online ran a 9000 word story by Russell Jackson (of ABC Investigations) into the failure of the Victorian Education Department to deal with – or even acknowledge – historical child sexual abuse in state government schools. Jackson’s report ran on the ABC TV News Channel on Sunday 27 August but not on the main ABC News bulletin or on any prominent program the following day.

Russell Jackson’s report got a 6 minute run on the ABC News channel on the afternoon of Sunday 27 August which featured an interview with Rightside Legal’s Michael Magazanik. I did not see the ABC evening news in Melbourne on that day. But, as far as I can see, Russell Jackson’s story was not covered by the likes of ABC TV Breakfast, ABC Radio National Breakfast, ABC Radio AM/The World Today/PM, ABC Radio Melbourne’s Mornings program on Monday 28 August.

..... solicitors at Maurice Blackburn Lawyers appear regularly on ABC news and current affairs. In his article, Russell Jackson quoted John Rule (a Maurice Blackburn solicitor) as in the following:

“At first I couldn’t believe how common it was,” says John Rule, who leads the abuse team at Maurice Blackburn Lawyers and has represented dozens of plaintiffs who’ve sued the Victorian Education Department in historical childhood sexual abuse matters.

“I tell people the Victorian Education Department are the worst to deal with, and that as far as cover-ups, they’re every bit as bad as the worst bits of the Catholic Church, and people can’t believe it.

The cover-up was comprehensive, and they managed to slip through the gaps in terms of inquiries and royal commissions, so they’ve never been properly looked at or had their feet held to the fire. The extent of the problem has never been publicly documented, therefore the Education Department has never had to address it or grapple with it in any way.”'

Why has the ABC run dead on this story - see the way it pursued Pell.

Okay.

First of all, your source:

Your snippet was from a letter published as a blog by Gerard Henderson to Justin Stevens, the director of news, analysis and investigations. The full exchange is as follows:
Justin/Mark

As you are no doubt aware, on Sunday 27 August 2023, ABC News Online ran a story by Russell Jackson titled “How the Victorian Education Department’s child sexual abuse scandal was hidden for decades”.

This was a very important article – running for around 9000 words – which documented how the Victorian Education Department covered up multiple cases of child sexual abuse in Victorian government schools for many decades from the 1960s on. This included moving pedophile teachers from school to school. According to Russell Jackson’s report – to this day the Victorian Education Department has declined to properly address historical child sexual abuse within its own schools.

As you will be aware, solicitors at Maurice Blackburn Lawyers appear regularly on ABC news and current affairs. In his article, Russell Jackson quoted John Rule (a Maurice Blackburn solicitor) as in the following:

“At first I couldn’t believe how common it was,” says John Rule, who leads the abuse team at Maurice Blackburn Lawyers and has represented dozens of plaintiffs who’ve sued the Victorian Education Department in historical childhood sexual abuse matters.

“I tell people the Victorian Education Department are the worst to deal with, and that as far as cover-ups, they’re every bit as bad as the worst bits of the Catholic Church, and people can’t believe it.

“The cover-up was comprehensive, and they managed to slip through the gaps in terms of inquiries and royal commissions, so they’ve never been properly looked at or had their feet held to the fire. The extent of the problem has never been publicly documented, therefore the Education Department has never had to address it or grapple with it in any way.”

Indeed, the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse did not examine a single case study specific to Victorian Education Department schools. Neither did the Victorian government’s own Betrayal of Trust inquiry of 2013, which probed only religious and non-government institutions.

So, according to Mr Rule, in its handling of historical child sexual abuse cases, the Victorian Education Department is “as bad as the worst bits of the Catholic Church”. Moreover, Mr Rule commented that the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, headed by Peter McClellan KC, did not examine even one government school in Victoria. In fact, McClellan’s commission totally ignored government schools in the whole of Australia.

Russell Jackson’s report got a 6 minute run on the ABC News channel on the afternoon of Sunday 27 August which featured an interview with Rightside Legal’s Michael Magazanik. I did not see the ABC evening news in Melbourne on that day. But, as far as I can see, Russell Jackson’s story was not covered by the likes of ABC TV Breakfast, ABC Radio National Breakfast, ABC Radio AM/The World Today/PM, ABC Radio Melbourne’s Mornings program on Monday 28 August.

This in spite of the fact that the above programs gave extensive coverage to the McClellan Royal Commission and to historical child sexual abuse in schools run by the Catholic and Anglican churches.

Currently the Andrews Labor government in Victoria has set up an inquiry into a nest of pedophile teachers at Beaumaris Primary School in Melbourne. The issue is much bigger than one school under the control of the Victorian Education Department.

My question is this. Why did the ABC give such limited coverage to such a big story which affected government schools – in view of the fact that it had given substantial coverage with respect to Catholic and Anglican schools on the same issue?

Over to you.

Yours sincerely

Gerard Henderson

Copy to Mark Maley

Justin Stevens to Gerard Henderson 30 August 2023

Dear Gerard,

Thank you for your kind comments in relation to Russell’s story. He is an outstanding journalist.

This was a major and complex piece of work that did not lend itself to a short news treatment. For that reason, and because the source was not in a position to do a broadcast interview, the decision was made to run it at length on the weekend to maximise its readership and impact. The online readership was considerable approaching four hundred thousand readers. It was left to individual programs to decide whether to follow it up - as is normal practice. As you note, the News Channel did that.

It is meaningless to compare the coverage with that of coverage of sexual abuse in churches, which was a series of stories over many years based on years of exposes and a parliamentary inquiry and a major royal commission. However, it was 9,000 words, which is hardly insubstantial, and we expect this is a story that will continue for some time. Finally, it’s worth noting that the Board of inquiry into Beaumaris Primary was prompted by our journalism, and it will likely be broadened into an examination of the entire Victorian Education Dept system.

Yours sincerely

JS.

Gerard Henderson to Justin Stevens 1 September 2023

Dear Justin

Thanks for your prompt reply. In response, I make the following points.

• It’s good to hear that the online readership of Russell Jackson’s story on ABC News was so high. However, I do not accept that ABC journalists are incapable of doing a short report about his story on such programs as ABC Evening News, RN Breakfast, AM, Mornings with Virginia Trioli, 7.30 and the like. After all, it should be possible to find room for a three-minute report on programs like News Breakfast and RN Breakfast which run for three hours each.

Especially since the likes of Fran Kelly (when she presented RN Breakfast), Michael Rowland, Virginia Trioli, Louise Milligan, Paul Kennedy and Sarah Ferguson were so prominent in covering historical child sexual abuse in Catholic schools and in their constant attacks on the late Cardinal George Pell before his convictions were overturned by a seven to zip High Court judgment.

• Archbishop (as he then was) Pell set up the Melbourne Response with respect to historical child sexual abuse in 1996. The Victorian Education Department still has not set up its own inquiry concerning Victorian government schools as of August 2023 – over a quarter of a century later. Something, I would have thought, that might be of interest to viewers of ABC Evening News - for example.

I do not accept your assertion that “it is meaningless to compare the [ABC’s] coverage [of the Victorian Education Department] with that of coverage of sexual abuse in churches which was a series of stories over many years based on years of exposes [sic] and a parliamentary inquiry and a major royal commission.”

The fact is that the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse – headed by Peter McClellan KC – was established by the Gillard Labor government in late 2012 to cover all institutions – religious, secular and government alike. Mr McClellan and his fellow commissioners made a conscious decision not to undertake even one case study (out of some 57 case studies) into government schools. This massive failure is briefly referred to in Russell Jackson’s story last Sunday – but not previously covered by the ABC, as I recall.

The 2013 report of the Victorian Legislative Council – originally titled Inquiry into the Handling of Child Abuse by Religious and Other Non-government Organisations (subsequently referred to as the Betrayal of Trust report) – also did not cover government schools. Again, I am not aware that any ABC journalist raised the issue of the inability of this inquiry to look into the handling of child abuse in government schools.

In short, like the Royal Commission and the Victorian Legislative Council, the ABC overlooked cases of historical child sexual abuse in government schools – not only in Victoria but also in Tasmania and NSW and, no doubt, in other States and Territories. Since the ABC presents itself as Australia’s most trusted news source, it should not be dependent on covering only issues of child sexual abuse which are being considered by a royal commission or a parliamentary inquiry.

• I am not sure that the Board of Inquiry into Beaumaris Primary, set up by the Andrews Labor government in late June 2023, was prompted by the ABC’s journalism – as you claim. It is true that, in April 2021, Russell Jackson did a couple of stories on the historical child sexual abuse at the St Kilda Football Club, which had a link with Beaumaris Primary School. But the ABC did not cover this issue with the persistence it exhibited towards the Catholic and Anglican schools.

As you are aware, an inquiry into Beaumaris Primary School was announced by Premier Daniel Andrews on 28 June 2023 – following a speech to the Victorian Legislative Council by Stuart Grimley (a former Victorian policeman who was a Derryn Hinch Justice Party parliamentarian at the time) in late 2022. Stuart Grimley’s comments were reported in the Guardian Australia and The Herald-Sun, but ignored (according to my records) by The Age and the ABC until the announcement of the Beaumaris Primary School inquiry. Yet this was a national story from at least late 2022. I ask you – has Mr Grimley ever been interviewed on a prominent ABC program? If not, why not?

The fact is that, like the Royal Commission, those ABC journalists who covered cases of historical child sexual abuse in educational institutions focused on Christian schools – and seemed to assume that no such crimes were taking place in government schools. This speaks volumes as to the naivety of the likes of Louise Milligan, Tony Jones, Virginia Trioli, John Lyons, Michael Rowland, Fran Kelly, Paul Kennedy and more besides.

Until the ABC covers the issues dealt with in Russell Jackson’s story of last Sunday on its main platforms, it stands to be accused of playing down one of the greatest scandals in any Australian government education department.

Best wishes

Gerard Henderson
Your post rises to the level of misinformation due to the deeply disingenuous way you have presented the exchange of correspondence as not an exchange at all but an expose.

If it requires a specific Royal Commission or Commission of inquiry I hope that happens.

I'm glad the Andrews government is conducting an inquiry into one of the historical cases (which may be broadened), let's hope that this allows victims some acknowledgement and redress.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back