Brad Ebert

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They offered pick 30 in a much stronger draft and Wellingham, a far better deal than pick 28 alone in this draft. And St Kilda didn't take it because they considered it far from fair. This is no different to what you did with Stevens. And it would be no different to if we did the same.
Absolutely. Except that when we did it with Stevens, we were not wanting a double-loss - not wanting to strength an immediate competitor and lose our #1 midfielder. Are you scared of Port being a competitor with West Coast for the premiership in the next few years?

Additionally,

It is not about your position compared to ours, it is about, **** you, you can't screw us over and expect us to just play along. Still, I expect our club to fold as they would probably just prefer to get something and it is unlikely to send a message as he'll probably just end up going to Port anyway. I wish we would just throw him in the PSD though. **** him.
Suits us.

I wish their was some form of arbitrator for this stuff, where a club can't pick up a player if they don't offer a fair trade.
For sure, but for this trade to be the case that made it happen would be a hilarious overreaction.

i am over it. if ebert wants to leave and play in front of 5 spectators each week and pretend he is playing for same club as his dad/uncle/grandad, whoever, then good luck to him. :)

well if you consider lowball offers to include our first rounder plus a player then yes that would be correct.
You mean pick #24 and a player, in a weak draft? Hahaha, how is that not lowball if the Port offer for Ebert is?

ild like to see a deal done, and usually so do clubs.

the whole 'psd is no threat because he will never get to you' line has no legs though, gc are trying to cut their list, not add to it. gws maybe but very doubtful.

i dont think it will be an issue though, the one and only reason port will deal rather than wait on psd will be because of relations and professionalism between the two clubs.

you will haggle to try to get what you want, and we will try the same.

as i said before though it looks like there would have to be some give on our part before 28 comes into the equation so any hope of anything more than that looks pointless. to be honest from my opinion of him as a player i would be very keen for port to walk away if things get too difficult. you can re-sign him for all i care.

the problem with all the arguments from west coasts supporters seem to be

a) they claim they will very likely only use 2 picks..

that has no bearing on what he is worth in any trade.

b) they claim they will very likely not receive a better player than him with pick 33. we could all make a list of players drafted after that pick just in the last 5 years that would be a top 4 team. sure its not guaranteed but it will give them anything from a fringe player to nat fyfe if they use it properly. the depth is still there in this draft at 33. drops off to become very speculative not too long after.

c) they claim he is player with 80 odd games or has played almost all games this season.

fact is he is definately somewhere in the 15-26 range at west coast. will be the same at port. is a role player or 2nd or 3rd tier. has been exposed alot early which is good, but is not also an indicator of how good he is just how ready he was.

d) claim he will likely improve his disposal.

wrong. what like maybe 10% of players with poor disposal might get a 10% improvement?? would that be fairly accurate??

what players who started with very poor disposal have suddenly turned that around?? his best hope isnt to suddenly become a good kick, but more likely to become a player who uses his other strengths and avoids using his weakness. in jobe watsons case he is in packs and has beautiful clean hands, in eberts case working into space is one of his greatest strengths but this will also expose his weakness.

e) claim that despite being played off the hff that he is better suited to an inside midfielder.

well he played more time in the middle last season and has been moved to a hff, where general concensus ( especially amongst eagles fans) has been an improvement. despite having some good inside midfielders in there ( priddis, kerr, shuey) if that was his best position or he held strong potential they would find room for him, rotations are a big thing now.

f) he was a top pick

this has no bearing on what he would be worth in a trade when he has had prolonged exposed form to gauge him as a player.

West Coast are not getting f'ing Pick 6 for Ebert. So their next best option from us is Pick 28. And yet they want more, but don't want any players we have to offer.

For f*** sake West Coast, get off your high horse.

You mean pick #24 and a player, in a weak draft? Hahaha, how is that not lowball if the Port offer for Ebert is?

We don't have much else to offer, to be fair. We don't have any picks higher than our first rounder (23 not 24).

If you gave us pick 6 for Ebert I'm sure we'd be happy to pass it to Brisbane ;)

If you gave us pick 6 for Ebert I'm sure we'd be happy to pass it to Brisbane ;)
When Pick #6 comes to us and declares it wants to be traded only to West Coast, we'll talk ;)

philthy.

a. you obviously know **** all about ebert. He is an inside midfielder. His improvement has not been from being moved positionally its been an improvement because of his development.

b. for a guy who has a good kicking action and it obviously being unlikely that he could improve that please explain the 10% increase in his overall disposal efficiency this year. his disposal efficiency has moved from 59-69% and while thats a 10% increase out of 100 its actually about a 16% improvement in relation to the improvement in regards of 59 - 69.

c. he's 21 and will be at the start of the next season and he is extremely durable. It's likely you will get 150-200 games more service from him and having been a state captain as a junior and still having great leadership qualities its safe to assume he will at least become a part of your leadership group further on in his career.

d. collingwood have traded pick 25 for marty clarke and a second division nobody and you think the eagles should be grateful for pick 33 and ecstatic with pick 28? Furthermore you want to rate this draft, mitch grigg is slower than most ruckman and is a likely top 20 pick.

e. the eagles went into trade week yesterday wanting a top 10 pick for ebert but realised they would probably have to settle for something less than that.

f. A deal may get done for 28 or 33 on its own but if it were to happen the club would completely burn their bridges with the eagles and in any trade in the future they would do their best to screw you. These aren't the actions of a professional sporting group and especially one that may have to rely on the votes of other clubs for your continued survival.

West Coast are not getting f'ing Pick 6 for Ebert. So their next best option from us is Pick 28. And yet they want more, but don't want any players we have to offer.

For f*** sake West Coast, get off your high horse.

West Coast has every right to take the moral high ground and not accept less than they believe is fair market value. That said, odds on that 28 will end up being the deal and I think that is a fair representation of his value.

The only upside for Port is that there isn't anyone banging down the door for Ebert's services and I don't think WCE will allow him to go to PSD Anyway. WCE would be derelict in their duty not to at least try.

d. collingwood have traded pick 25 for marty clarke and a second division nobody and you think the eagles should be grateful for pick 33 and ecstatic with pick 28? Furthermore you want to rate this draft, mitch grigg is slower than most ruckman and is a likely top 20 pick.

Clarke at the same age (when he left) was a better player than Ebert, so not sure this argument holds any weight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What i posted in that thread.

Why trade to him to Port after putting important development into him?

Ebert is improving all the time, his possession count isn't flash hot in 2011 because of the way he's been playing and how he's be working on the defensive side of his game. If he continues to work hard on his weaknesses when he does move into the middle he will be allot better than he would have been has he played their from day dot.

Its not an upgrade you moron, its an actual pick that you can readily trade on to someone else. Turn it into an upgrade on a first rounder if thats better. Not sure how many more times this needs to be pointed out.

It's an upgrade from a list management point of veiw. Im not sure what you think this draft contains.

Remind me the last time Brisbane poached a Queenslander off you mob, and then look at the lowball offers Freo & WCE are throwing their way for Clark.

What's Queensland got to do anything? Im pretty sure they are waiting to secure 28 before giving a final offer on Clarke. Trade week is a two way street and offering something totally short of his value and holding us to ransom might seem like a good short term move.

wasnt this just what i went through?? your just re-stating stuff..

philthy.

a. you obviously know **** all about ebert. He is an inside midfielder. His improvement has not been from being moved positionally its been an improvement because of his development.

again, tell us he will be better as an inside midfielder but he has been played as a hff. if he showed great potential there why move him?? i know you have depth there but not so much to hold out someone who would excel at that spot. the short of it is he isnt as good as your other inside mids and we can say he is an inside midfielder but that doesnt mean any improvement in his game is a given based on theories of him being better suited.

b. for a guy who has a good kicking action and it obviously being unlikely that he could improve that please explain the 10% increase in his overall disposal efficiency this year. his disposal efficiency has moved from 59-69% and while thats a 10% increase out of 100 its actually about a 16% improvement in relation to the improvement in regards of 59 - 69.

the point is his kicking is terrible, and wc fans keep saying that he could improve that. improvements in kicking are not common and are usually small.

c. he's 21 and will be at the start of the next season and he is extremely durable. It's likely you will get 150-200 games more service from him and having been a state captain as a junior and still having great leadership qualities its safe to assume he will at least become a part of your leadership group further on in his career.

we keep getting told he has 80 games. that means sfa. he had an afl ready body. no way can we look at him as a future captain, so much water to go under the bridge first. has to establish himself as a first 18 player. captains are normally players that are among the first picked in your 22. does ebert look like that?? durability is a bonus.

the pies looseness with their first rounders the last 2 years say more about how they are positioning their team for the next couple of years. have no importance to this trade.

e. the eagles went into trade week yesterday wanting a top 10 pick for ebert but realised they would probably have to settle for something less than that.

lol, they are not stupid. could not have expected a top ten pick . ever. at any stage.

f. A deal may get done for 28 or 33 on its own but if it were to happen the club would completely burn their bridges with the eagles and in any trade in the future they would do their best to screw you. These aren't the actions of a professional sporting group and especially one that may have to rely on the votes of other clubs for your continued survival.

why would we rely on your vote for our survival?? wtf ?? is this survivor australia? should we have made better alliances?? yeah, port will have our own interests but also be mindful of maintaining an amicable relationship with west coast. i doubt pick 33 would have worsfold or daniher plotting how to bring us down.

28 or 33 will get it done by the end of trade week, time to lock this thread - it's well and truly cooked!!

The tribe has spoken.

It seems Port and Freo supporters were all spawned from the same place.

Really?

How could this thread have got to almost 1000 posts if the Eagles posters are happy to get nothing for Ebert?

Giving away a good player for a 12 pick upgrade would be stupidity, every time we go to the trade table in the future the other club would remember how weak we were and other players would push for their peference every time.

This post fails hard. If you're only using 2 picks, then you wouldn't use pick 33 and there's no point in us trading it to you.

We get 28 + 33 you get Ebert and 45.

We use our pick 23 plus a player to snap up Clark later in the week, may even need 28 or 33 in that deal also.

If we don't use them we do what we did last season, seek to trade out a late pick for a 3rd round compo pick and bank it.

Still failing am I.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back