Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sh!!TS me big time Medhurst wasn't part of that premiership. Was still an excellent player.
Not a Malthouse favourite I guess.

Still reckon Didak had another year or 2 in him. Not a Buckley favourite...

Bloody coaches and their favourites!!
Nah Dids was cooked. Medhurst should have played 2010 and would have gone for another couple of years if he had

Then again, Leon Davis should never have been dropped. Especially after he kicked that goal in the last quarter of the first GF.
Always a fan of Leon , loved him as a player and hoped he got a game in the replay at the time, but that was based on sentiment.

Truth is Leons form had dropped off seasons end 2010. He had 8 and 6 possies in the 2 finals he played, had already been dropped for the prelim and got a reprieve in the GF for which Goldy was dropped. Apart from the goal he was a non contributor in the GF and having just come back in after being dropped needed to do more

It was very self serving of MM to come out in 2017 and say he wished he hadn't dropped Leon for the replay. A kick in the teeth for Goldy also. Breaks a golden rule of any match committee which is everyone sticks with the decisions to the outside world even if they disagreed in the meeting. Clearly MM didnt disagree at the time anyway. He rewrote history for mine given he dropped Leon twice in three matches.

My two cents. Medhurst was nowhere near it. He had ankle surgery at some point in 2010 then retired at the end of the year. The actual alternatives were Rounds and Lockyer. Rounds was initially in a two way battle with Blair for the spot and Lockyer was the outgoing fan fav.
I’m subsequent interviews MM said that he deserved to be playing finals but had a hard time justifying dropping Blair. It was line ball because Medders was fully fit by finals. Also Medders said himself that the disappointment of not being selected for 2010 was a driving factor behind his retirement iirc, which lines up with the way he left, not consulting his management and citing personal reasons when he walked.

Always a fan of Leon , loved him as a player and hoped he got a game in the replay at the time, but that was based on sentiment.

Truth is Leons form had dropped off seasons end 2010. He had 8 and 6 possies in the 2 finals he played, had already been dropped for the prelim and got a reprieve in the GF for which Goldy was dropped. Apart from the goal he was a non contributor in the GF and having just come back in after being dropped needed to do more

It was very self serving of MM to come out in 2017 and say he wished he hadn't dropped Leon for the replay. A kick in the teeth for Goldy also. Breaks a golden rule of any match committee which is everyone sticks with the decisions to the outside world even if they disagreed in the meeting. Clearly MM didnt disagree at the time anyway. He rewrote history for mine given he dropped Leon twice in three matches.

The context of the discussion was about how Medhurst "should have played". My point was, well, Leon was probably more hardy done by.

My two cents. Medhurst was nowhere near it. He had ankle surgery at some point in 2010 then retired at the end of the year. The actual alternatives were Rounds and Lockyer. Rounds was initially in a two way battle with Blair for the spot and Lockyer was the outgoing fan fav.

I agree. Though my point was, Davis was ahead of them all (except Blair).

I’m subsequent interviews MM said that he deserved to be playing finals but had a hard time justifying dropping Blair. It was line ball because Medders was fully fit by finals. Also Medders said himself that the disappointment of not being selected for 2010 was a driving factor behind his retirement iirc, which lines up with the way he left, not consulting his management and citing personal reasons when he walked.

Yet he dropped Davis a well known favourite of his... I think MM was doing what MM does and trying to paint himself in a good light when behind closed doors Medhurst was actually a long way off it. I ultimately can’t show what I’m saying is accurate, but nor can I accept Medhurst was remotely close based on my own memory of things.

One thing we can all agree on is Blair was a battler who was kept on two seasons too long and is totally irrelevant to discussions on Sier who possesses all the talent Blair never had and none of the same heart/ work ethic.

Yet he dropped Davis a well known favourite of his... I think MM was doing what MM does and trying to paint himself in a good light when behind closed doors Medhurst was actually a long way off it. I ultimately can’t show what I’m saying is accurate, but nor can I accept Medhurst was remotely close based on my own memory of things.

One thing we can all agree on is Blair was a battler who was kept on two seasons too long and is totally irrelevant to discussions on Sier who possesses all the talent Blair never had and none of the same heart/ work ethic.

Actually Blair had plenty of talent, it was size that was his greatest weakness. Give him another 10cm and I think he would have been something very good.

I’m not sure what not bringing in Medhurst for an entire finals series has to do with Davis being dropped? The choice was an underdone Medhurst for the QF vs a fit Blair and there’s reasons to justify both inclusions. At the end of the day if Medders has been selected he would likely have been cherry ripe in terms of match fitness for GF day, but it’s hard to include a guy coming off injury when the player he’s replacing is playing solid footy. In this case I don’t doubt it was a line ball call.
Amen

Yet to be proved that Sier is any better than Crocker. Potentially yes, but not proved. Sier could still be a bust if he doesn’t pull his finger out.

Imagine what Sier would be with Blair’s commitment. The disrespect shown toward Blair by some is appalling. He is a 150 game Pies premiership player. How many of them do you think have ever existed?
I think if we line up the games both played, Sier has been a far better contributor. A fit Sier and he breaks into our strong midfield. Crocker on the other hand generally got picked when we struggled to cover injuries or the forward line just wasn’t functioning.
No doubt Sier needs to work harder. I think most will agree on that. But his second half of 2018 even drew comparisons (admittedly from Gary Lyon and Tim Watson) to Kennedy of the Swans. So, he definitely has the game to succeed. Commitment? Well, I wouldn’t be surprised if this year is make or break for him. Hopefully he has an injury free year so there are no excuses.

Last edited:

Yeah, on that we agree.

Actually Blair had plenty of talent, it was size that was his greatest weakness. Give him another 10cm and I think he would have been something very good.

Talented guys that size still have fantastic careers (Prestia and Neale) unlike Blair, but thanks for the chuckle!

157 games and a premiership is very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's right, I remember Rounds. Whatever happened to him? I liked the look of him I recall - great speed / endurance mix, good footskills left and right feet, could play running positions in deep defence, through the midfield (wing) and as a running forward.

If I recall correctly, he had a good run of games and would have got selected instead of Blair half way through 2010, but got injured at the wrong time and missed his shot.

That's right, I remember Rounds. Whatever happened to him? I liked the look of him I recall - great speed / endurance mix, good footskills left and right feet, could play running positions in deep defence, through the midfield (wing) and as a running forward.

If I recall correctly, he had a good run of games and would have got selected instead of Blair half way through 2010, but got injured at the wrong time and missed his shot.
This is from Collingwood Forever: In 2010, he was again forced to bide his time in the VFL despite hitting a rich vein of form at half forward midway through the season. He kicked 22 goals in 15 games, and was named as an emergency on five occasions.

Rounds was an emergency for the round 14 match against West Coast, but in what represented a sliding doors moment in two careers, the match committee opted for Jarryd Blair to replace Steele Sidebottom at the last minute. Rounds was named as Collingwood’s second best that afternoon with three goals in the loss to North Ballarat at Victoria Park.

Blair went on to play in the premiership side, while Rounds continued to impress in the VFL.

=========================================================
However, he did miss (AFL) rounds 8. 9. and 10 with a shoulder injury according to the AFL Season Guide. It was after this time that he was named emergency the 5 times.

He was hoping to get picked up again after being delisted but that of course didn't happen. He went to Port Melbourne in 2013, then to Bell Park for most of the time since then. It looks like he also went to Geelong (VFL) in 2016, but not sure if he played for them or not. He's still playing, and has just signed for Anglesea: Coach Paul Nigro is excited to welcome Rounds, who played six matches for Collingwood between 2009-12, and Elliott, who finished second in the GDFL goal kicking, to Alcoa Oval.

He says talks with Rounds, who turns 29 in February, have been ongoing for several weeks.

“After five years at Bell Park, he was looking for a change; a little bit of a change of lifestyle and a change of footy."

This is from Collingwood Forever: In 2010, he was again forced to bide his time in the VFL despite hitting a rich vein of form at half forward midway through the season. He kicked 22 goals in 15 games, and was named as an emergency on five occasions.

Rounds was an emergency for the round 14 match against West Coast, but in what represented a sliding doors moment in two careers, the match committee opted for Jarryd Blair to replace Steele Sidebottom at the last minute. Rounds was named as Collingwood’s second best that afternoon with three goals in the loss to North Ballarat at Victoria Park.

Blair went on to play in the premiership side, while Rounds continued to impress in the VFL.

=========================================================
However, he did miss (AFL) rounds 8. 9. and 10 with a shoulder injury according to the AFL Season Guide. It was after this time that he was named emergency the 5 times.

He was hoping to get picked up again after being delisted but that of course didn't happen. He went to Port Melbourne in 2013, then to Bell Park for most of the time since then. It looks like he also went to Geelong (VFL) in 2016, but not sure if he played for them or not. He's still playing, and has just signed for Anglesea: Coach Paul Nigro is excited to welcome Rounds, who played six matches for Collingwood between 2009-12, and Elliott, who finished second in the GDFL goal kicking, to Alcoa Oval.

He says talks with Rounds, who turns 29 in February, have been ongoing for several weeks.

“After five years at Bell Park, he was looking for a change; a little bit of a change of lifestyle and a change of footy."

Strange that I don’t remember him at all. Damn, that’s weird.

Then again, Leon Davis should never have been dropped. Especially after he kicked that goal in the last quarter of the first GF.
He had six touches and regularly failed to fire in important games. He never should’ve been selected in the first place.

Luckily we had another week to get selections right.

He had six touches and regularly failed to fire in important games. He never should’ve been selected in the first place.

Luckily we had another week to get selections right.

If Davis had been allowed to play on the wing like Goldsack, he would have played better than Goldy. If Goldsack has been asked to play half-forward, he would have struggled the way he did every time he played in the forward line. So, er, not really, no.

If Davis had been allowed to play on the wing like Goldsack, he would have played better than Goldy. If Goldsack has been asked to play half-forward, he would have struggled the way he did every time he played in the forward line. So, er, not really, no.
That’s a rather ambitious call to make given that he’d never really played wing prior to that point, and hadn’t trained for the position the entire year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back