Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a very good goal, and a very important one, but saying "It's Leon's flag" is a bit over the top!! I suspect you know that!
He had 3 kicks 2 handballs prior to that goal almost halfway through the last quarter. I suspect he was still on the ‘fresh side’. The players surrounding him looked exhausted as you would expect in a GF.
‘Leon’s flag’??? Well if he did his job for 4 quarters we would have won the first GF rather than hold on for a draw.
He was always one of my favourite players. It’s unfortunate he just couldn’t perform even to an acceptable level in a GF. He was a talented footballer that’s for sure!

He had 3 kicks 2 handballs prior to that goal almost halfway through the last quarter. I suspect he was still on the ‘fresh side’. The players surrounding him looked exhausted as you would expect in a GF.
‘Leon’s flag’??? Well if he did his job for 4 quarters we would have won the first GF rather than hold on for a draw.
He was always one of my favourite players. It’s unfortunate he just couldn’t perform even to an acceptable level in a GF. He was a talented footballer that’s for sure!
He was a very skilled footballer, and winning a couple of AA selections playing at different ends of the ground says quite a lot. Yet those poor performances in the big finals will always be held against him, and that's reasonably fair, I'd say.

If he had done more it would change every single variable in the game going forward and it's equally likely we lose the Grand Final... I'm quite satisfied with how the cards fell

So you agree he should have been dropped for the replay as that is how the cards fell?
Well I certainly wouldn't roll the dice on another result, I see his whole career as building to that one perfect play that delivered us a flag

Well I certainly wouldn't roll the dice on another result, I see his whole career as building to that one perfect play that delivered us a flag

That play did not delivery us a flag any more than any other goal kicked that day, goal saving spoil made, clearance that lead to a goal etc etc etc.

He was dropped. That is the ultimate assessment of his contribution to first GF. End of story.

That play did not delivery us a flag any more than any other goal kicked that day, goal saving spoil made, clearance that lead to a goal etc etc etc.

He was dropped. That is the ultimate assessment of his contribution to first GF. End of story.
Why do you keep arguing about him being dropped? I never said he shouldn't be! you're off on your own weird tangent there

As for the importance of the goal it was the final quarter of a Grand Final with 2 teams deadlocked, Saints hadn't scored for 18 minutes and we hadn't scored for 46 minutes and it was an act of unequalled brilliance, but go ahead and kid yourself it was no more important than any other moment :rolleyes:

He was acceptable in 2011. More than really.

That’s a rather ambitious call to make given that he’d never really played wing prior to that point, and hadn’t trained for the position the entire year.

He played wing a bit in his early years. My point is more that it’s easy to get sat on (especially in those days) as a small forward, and it would have made sense to give him a run in the midfield every now and then in finals.

There were quite a few who didn’t play to their potential that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do you keep arguing about him being dropped? I never said he shouldn't be! you're off on your own weird tangent there

As for the importance of the goal it was the final quarter of a Grand Final with 2 teams deadlocked, Saints hadn't scored for 18 minutes and we hadn't scored for 46 minutes and it was an act of unequalled brilliance, but go ahead and kid yourself it was no more important than any other moment :rolleyes:

Act of unequalled brilliance. WTF. It was a good goal but nothing particularly special apart from being in the last quarter. Football games are full of important moments. Placing one goal above all others mid way through the last quarter is ridiculous.

If you want to allocate glory to a player who ‘won us the premiership’ in the first GF look at the numerous efforts of Nick Maxwell in the last quarter. He was enormous. The diving goal save, and huge intercept mark that if memory serves me correctly led to a final ‘premiership winning’ goal of the first GF, come immediately to mind.

Give me Maxwell’s repeated acts across the entire game and particularly in the last quarter over one piece of bling from Leon every time.

There were quite a few who didn’t play to their potential that day.
But we are only talking about 1 player who had 6 possessions and was claimed by a poster here to be the player who avoided us losing the 2010 GF. The discussion isn’t about how many players were down that day (although you would be hard pressed to find a worse player from the Pies that day and he was duly dropped for the repeat).

To me Blair's talent level was fine, but he was just a dumb footballer who didn't play within his limitations.
Harsh Assessment for mine. He was a solid role player and better than many here appreciate. Far from dumb he adapted to a role as a defensive small forward when he was really more of a natural mid. I think if we were privy to the intracies of our game plan we would have a far greater appreciation of the role Blair played. Internally he would have been ranked much more highly than he is here on BF and that's the real test. Solid role player who did what the team asked and was rewarded with good career. Hard not to love his character for mine. Anyone who played a good bit of footy will recall the "Blairs" of their level with great gratitiude.

Can Sier and Wills play in the same team?

Seems to work at VFL level. The issue is how much midfield time they'd both get at senior level and their capacity to fill an alternate role.

Harsh Assessment for mine. He was a solid role player and better than many here appreciate. Far from dumb he adapted to a role as a defensive small forward when he was really more of a natural mid. I think if we were privy to the intracies of our game plan we would have a far greater appreciation of the role Blair played. Internally he would have been ranked much more highly than he is here on BF and that's the real test. Solid role player who did what the team asked and was rewarded with good career. Hard not to love his character for mine. Anyone who played a good bit of footy will recall the "Blairs" of their level with great gratitiude.
True. Bloody harsh call by me. I actually loved the wee man. Just such positive whole-hearted energy.What I meant was I think he was talented enough to be a very good player, but he frustrated me due to many of his decisions.

These were the points that frustrated me to death, as he just did them over and over again without seeming to learn from them.

Clean take in traffic - lovely sidestep to brush off the first tackler and create space, then holding onto the ball until he was nabbed by the second tackler.
Ridiculous attack on the footy or the man in big moments to give away stupid free kicks.
Hitting up at the footy and getting in the way of more appropriate options.

Seems to work at VFL level. The issue is how much midfield time they'd both get at senior level and their capacity to fill an alternate role.

Does it really work at that level? Next you’ll be telling us Ben Sokol is better than WHE on the basis of WAFL form 🤪

I think a stronger case can be made.

Does it really work at that level? Next you’ll be telling us Ben Sokol is better than WHE on the basis of WAFL form 🤪

I think a stronger case can be made.

The only evidence available of whether or not they can play in the same side is their performances when playing together at VFL level and they were quite complimentary, Wills providing the grunt, Sier the class and pace. Happy for you to make a stronger case.

While hardly relevant, unlike Wills and Sier at VFL level, I've never seen Sokol play at any level but until he's delivered at senior AFL level then IMHO he's not even in the same discussion as WHE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back