Brendan Fevola attempted suicide

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Sam Newman had enough common sense not to pigeon hole every person that desperately needs help.
I admit to over estimating the intelligence of Sam.

And that coming from a person(Sam) who of course never did anything wrong in his life did he? and Sam never had an illness apparently, except the illness of willful ignorance.

I had a lot of sympathy with his admission he has ADD also, and requires medication for it.

I don't know too much about it, but it's quite rare in adults isn't it?

It must also be especially tough if you are struggling with both ADD and depression.

Pretty certain Heath Shaw suffers from it also.

I thought Sam Newman had enough common sense not to pigeon hole every person that desperately needs help.
I admit to over estimating the intelligence of Sam.

And that coming from a person(Sam) who of course never did anything wrong in his life did he? and Sam never had an illness apparently, except the illness of willful ignorance.

Sam is just a silly old cretin ..his life is a litany of poor decisions ..why anyone would listen to a word that ignorant old fool utters amazes me .

He is funny to watch simply for the absurdities that come out of his mouth .

Obviously the bloke has some issues. Sounds like the 'attemted suicide' was a call for help and not a real attempt. I thought when JB was spruiking the interview as a 'must-see' i was thining it was just to get viewers, but was pretty revealing.

He looked pretty medicated in the interview. Sounded like the penny has finally dropped that he needs to take responsibilty for his own actions. Seems to be more aware of his situation and how to go about recovering. Stuill a long way off being recovered (still gambling on poker) but finally on the right path. Just hopes he keeps on the path all the way and gets better.

And fev, the blues wont take you back as a player but down the track will be welcomed back with open arms as an ex-player.

Was a little disapointed in Sam's remarks, thought they were pretty simple minded. He did the same thing with ben cousins. He obviously doesnt appreciate how hard it would be to break an addiction. I dont know either, but give it a bit more respect.

I still find it amazing on how serious people are taking this...It has nothing to do with his ability to play footy, and his behavioral issues!!!!. Whats next, we find out he has a addiction to pr0n and we follow the guy around so he doesn't enter news agencies and buy dirty magazines??? or what ever other "addiction he could have. My point is the interest whole gambling addiction has well and truly gone other board with the media sucking everyone in like it should be any of our bussiness.

His only problem worth commenting on is his drinking problem, because that is what gets him into trouble with his footy clubs.

I remember Goodwin had Gambling problems and it received hardly any media hype...but just because Fev has had alcohol behavioural problems the media merry go round on this guy continues...And heaps of people are getting sucked in big time...SO SAD FOR ANYONE THAT IS BUYING INTO IT!!!

Oh please, cry me a river.

He's had plenty of good people offer him help and tried to get him on the right track only for him shove it back in their faces over the years.

Man you have absoultely no idea what your talking about. Go get depression and throw in a addiction and see how you handle it. Ive been there and still am and he is doing nothing out of the ordinary for someone in his position. People like yourself who think its that plain and simple to not do what he has done isnt that simple. Yes its his fault for getting himself into that position very much like myself but once you are there it can be seriously hard to get out of.
Im just wrapped he is acknowledging his situation and taking the blame. Im however concerned about his poker situation.

Interesting that most Carlton posters aren't very supportive. Whilst Brendon needs to accept personal responsibility and that he has gotten what he deserved, I think John Elliot has a lot to answer for!

From my keyboard vantage point, it would seem the trainwreck will continue on. Hope the AFL is able to intervene/provide some meaningful assistance or this saga looks to be heading toward an ugly ending.

Don't get me started on media responsibility and ethics either.

As it is in most of the cases of self harm. They intend to kill themself but dont really get themself in a situation where its possible. People watch too many moves. Slitting your wrists in an attempt to die is a very very hard thing to actually do

If he has slit his wrists and acknowledged it was his intention to kill himself then how can it not be a suicide attempt?

If he has slit his wrists and acknowledged it was his intention to kill himself then how can it not be a suicide attempt?

Fevola wouldnt know how to slit his wrists. As I said its a very complex thing to actually do. People very often cant distinguish between self harm and a geniune suicide attempt. The fact it took no intervention other than his own to stop is a pretty good indication of self harm in itself. They are both two different things and require two different treatments

Self harm is geniunely self loathing, self destruction and as Fevola described occurs after a mistake/error is made one cant mentally handle

A suicide attempt is geniunely much more planned, occurs in a much more thought out process and involves thoughts of hopelessness more times than not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else not believe a word of it?

Too many contradictions for my liking. Stunk of a bloke who wanted to make up some stories so he had something to sell to the media.

Loved the bit where he reckons he is proud of himself for not punting on the horses for 12 months...then later stuffs it up by saying he hasnt had a dime for nearly 12 months.

That would stop it. LOL
I'm sorry, but that seems to betray a low understanding of his problems (assuming the gambling addiction is legit, which it appears to be); I hope that just means you have been fortunate enough not to have been exposed to people around you suffering through an addiction.

I can assure you that an addict that needs money to fuel their addiction will find that money; if they only have $5 for bread and milk then I daresay bread and milk probably isn't what is first and foremost in their mind. A gambling addict with little money is more likely to want to gamble to get some money, just as a drug addict suffering withdrawal pains is more likely to want a drug to take the pain away.

went across the ground and not down the corridor? :rolleyes:

self-harm sometimes called para-suicide. what he did probably falls into self-harm as an attempt may have seen him as an involuntary patient/in hospital. i wasn't there at the time so i don't know for sure, but there is some emotional overlap between self-harm / attempt.
self-harm also known to be an addictive behaviour. an endorphin/adrenaline hit.
also to take into account, hesitation wounds. could have had his mind set on suicide but not followed through, which is hard to call an attempt. but either way though it's pretty obvious he was in a pretty dark place.
warning sign and all that. shows a willingness to ignore ones own health which he's already displayed you could argue. bit of a worry while he's on the anti-alcohol drugs i think. unfortunately i don't think this is the last we'll hear of his mental health.

Just watched the interview and really feel for Fev. Always thought he was a twat but can now understand where he's at.

I had severe depression but never realised, eventually I was diagnosed after I really hit rock bottom. After a year of treatment I came out the other side a different person. It's almost impossible to describe to people what it's like living with depression as someone said last night "its like trying to describe to a blind person a blue sky". Just a couple things, while suffering from deppression drugs and alcohol are used as an escape. You drink to get drunk and end up doing stupid things. You also do stupid things because your thought processes are just screwed. Think about it, if you think killing yourself makes sense putting a dildo on your head, cheating on ya misus etc. is't a strech. As with me I think the grog is just a symptom of the depression not the problem. I think he's got it the wrong way round.

What I found amazing was that it has taken so long for him to be diagnosed. What the hell were the Carlton and less so Brisbane doctors doing. They should hang their heads in shame.

Also Fev's problems with ADHD, this is a mental disorder. Now i've been helping a friend with a gambling problem for over ten years. In the last 18 months he's finally made a huge amount of progess. He's been getting treatment via a program at the uni of NSW. The latest research is showing problem gambling is not really an addiction and is more closely related to obessive compulsive disorders and can be treated with cognative thearapy.

Some of the comments here just show the ignorance in the general public about depression. It's a chemical imbalance in your brain that can be treated. Hopefully Fev finds a treatment that works for him and can get his life back. I was lucky and found a medication that worked for me and the fog of depression left me after about 6 weeks. His gambling is another matter, I dont think he's ready to stop or in the right place yet

Just watched the interview and really feel for Fev. Always thought he was a twat but can now understand where he's at.

I had severe depression but never realised, eventually I was diagnosed after I really hit rock bottom. After a year of treatment I came out the other side a different person. It's almost impossible to describe to people what it's like living with depression as someone said last night "its like trying to describe to a blind person a blue sky". Just a couple things, while suffering from deppression drugs and alcohol are used as an escape. You drink to get drunk and end up doing stupid things. You also do stupid things because your thought processes are just screwed. Think about it, if you think killing yourself makes sense putting a dildo on your head, cheating on ya misus etc. is't a strech. As with me I think the grog is just a symptom of the depression not the problem. I think he's got it the wrong way round.

What I found amazing was that it has taken so long for him to be diagnosed. What the hell were the Carlton and less so Brisbane doctors doing. They should hang their heads in shame.

Also Fev's problems with ADHD, this is a mental disorder. Now i've been helping a friend with a gambling problem for over ten years. In the last 18 months he's finally made a huge amount of progess. He's been getting treatment via a program at the uni of NSW. The latest research is showing problem gambling is not really an addiction and is more closely related to obessive compulsive disorders and can be treated with cognative thearapy.

Some of the comments here just show the ignorance in the general public about depression. It's a chemical imbalance in your brain that can be treated. Hopefully Fev finds a treatment that works for him and can get his life back. I was lucky and found a medication that worked for me and the fog of depression left me after about 6 weeks. His gambling is another matter, I dont think he's ready to stop or in the right place yet

I hope you are doing well in your battle

I hope Fev gets his s**t together because he really needs help right now.

People need to get off his back. It's easy to judge, it is harder to be in the situation.

Ther AFL should be helping him and all of their players in need rather than helping out a 17 year old girl who is a bullshit artist. More support to the players please.

Spot-on! In a nutshell, where is a 'minder', or 'chaperone'.
icon4.gif

Fev needs to get in the real world and realise how lucky he is. Does anyone else realise how close LA is to Vegas? No gambler goes to LA without going to Vegas unless they have alot of self control. What a terrible destination choice.

http://www.thebike.com/

Say what you like,I still hold Lyon and Brayshaw in utter contempt for giving him a microphone and a camera at the Brownlow.
Talk about pouring petrol on a fire!
Who knows where he'd be now?!

Why would you blame them? They are just employees as well.

Blame the management who decided it was a good idea, the same management that decided to show the footage and the same management that fired him.

Also the same management that paid him $30k for the interview

Watching Fev last night reminded me a little of Johnathon Hay,does anyone know how he is travelling ? Last time i saw him on a interview he didn't look to good

It says in the newspaper today that he has lost $1 million in gambling. He's been playing professional football for over 10 years, and given that he's got absolutely nothing now, besides his payout from Brisbane lions, where did the rest of the money go? He must have got at least $500k per year playing footy since 2005.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back