Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a start ,I would have taken Oliver instead of Weitering, given the fact we were either going to land Thomlinson or Marchbank and pick up Macreadie, we also took McKay and Curnow that same draft. A great mid and some nice talls would have been a much better approach IMO. = Balance

We didn't land tomlinson and there is no way known we would have thought we would take Macreadie .. He was touted to be a top 5 pick in his draft year

We didn't land tomlinson and there is no way known we would have thought we would take Macreadie .. He was touted to be a top 5 pick in his draft year
Still think we stacked too tall in that draft, a great mid would have complimented the talls we took.

yep

Oliver was a bolter and only came into calculations of being top 10 a couple of days before the draft. I remember Parish was touted the best Mid that year. Weitering was far and away the best player that year.

Well I just pray to god that Bolton does not equal Neeld. Both school teachers etc etc with little game day system and strategy. We cant be smashed like that in third year with so many experienced players on the ground. Some improvements in game plan/strategy second half of year would be nice. Players being a constant out is horrible perhaps the message is confusing to them.

For a start ,I would have taken Oliver instead of Weitering, given the fact we were either going to land Thomlinson or Marchbank and pick up Macreadie, we also took McKay and Curnow that same draft. A great mid and some nice talls would have been a much better approach IMO. = Balance

"given the fact"

CYz8.gif

For a start, this isn't a List Management thread.

The epitome of hindsight drafting.

Weitering was considered a generational proposition, the likes of which had only been seen once or twice; a player of genuine key position height, with the capability to play at both ends of the ground, with genuinely elite disposal by foot, leadership prospects and footy smarts being his hallmarks.

No bet is a sure one; we drafted Marchbank and Macreadie to take care of the other key position roles down back, as well as Plowman being the inbetween tall/small player. We've had a bob multiple ways, to ensure that our talls are the right ones - at both ends of the ground - and we've got them developing, as is clearly visible when you look at how they've played when they've been available to do so.

It's hard to recruit as many talls as you can - to ascertain which of them will make it, because not only do they take longer but they're more likely to fail, as the key positions on the ground are harder to play - while still recruiting midfielders, especially the midfielders who are readymade. Sure, we could've picked up Oliver, but who's to say Oliver's not already reached his ceiling? He's a good mid, in a team of good mids; put him in our fledgling outfit, and I wonder if he'd have demonstrated the same thing?

Altogether, it's a bit lazy, really.

I know this is stating that obvious but I try to remind myself that there is no way of predicting the future with regards to a teams performance. To put it another way there have been countless times when teams have popped up out of nowhere and won a flag and only with the benefit of hindsight do we rewrite history as though it was obvious.

Take Richmond at the start of last year, Geelong in 2006, Hawthorn around the same time. You go back to 2005 and few Hawks fans would’ve believed you if you said that within the coming decade Clarkson would deliver them 4 flags and arguably the greatest team of the modern era. Conversely, at the start of the 2012 season I thought we were a genuine shot at a flag, had you told me that 6 months into the season that Ratten would be gone and we’d be on the slippery slope to a long and painful rebuild I would’ve been highly surprised.

I guess that’s the nature of footy. Things often don’t pan out as expected. I honestly don’t know if Bolts is the right coach to lead us back up the ladder but I think if we were to get rid of him this season we’d never really know if he has what it takes. Whether or not we improve next year is an unknown, but I think at this stage it’s worth sticking with what we’ve got and time will tell.

The epitome of hindsight drafting.

Weitering was considered a generational proposition, the likes of which had only been seen once or twice; a player of genuine key position height, with the capability to play at both ends of the ground, with genuinely elite disposal by foot, leadership prospects and footy smarts being his hallmarks.

No bet is a sure one; we drafted Marchbank and Macreadie to take care of the other key position roles down back, as well as Plowman being the inbetween tall/small player. We've had a bob multiple ways, to ensure that our talls are the right ones - at both ends of the ground - and we've got them developing, as is clearly visible when you look at how they've played when they've been available to do so.

It's hard to recruit as many talls as you can - to ascertain which of them will make it, because not only do they take longer but they're more likely to fail, as the key positions on the ground are harder to play - while still recruiting midfielders, especially the midfielders who are readymade. Sure, we could've picked up Oliver, but who's to say Oliver's not already reached his ceiling? He's a good mid, in a team of good mids; put him in our fledgling outfit, and I wonder if he'd have demonstrated the same thing?

Altogether, it's a bit lazy, really.

For a start, this isn't a List Management thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can point to your post in 2015 when you said we should take oliver over weitering then you might have some credibility.

Knowing what should have been done in hindsight isn't a particularly rare or valuable gift.

they loaded up on talls because they take longer to come good and have a high failure rate. And even if we were gonna draft a midfielder high in that draft, there's every chance that given we already had cripps that we would have gone for darcy parish instead.

If you can point to your post in 2015 when you said we should take oliver over weitering then you might have some credibility.

Knowing what should have been done in hindsight isn't a particularly rare or valuable gift.

they loaded up on talls because they take longer to come good and have a high failure rate. And even if we were gonna draft a midfielder high in that draft, there's every chance that given we already had cripps that we would have gone for darcy parish instead.

Weitering will be elite and elite tall defenders don't grow on trees. Having said that this a Bolton topic and I believe it was soley SOS's choice and clear No.1 selection

Can't blame Bolts right or wrong

Well I just pray to god that Bolton does not equal Neeld. Both school teachers etc etc with little game day system and strategy. We cant be smashed like that in third year with so many experienced players on the ground. Some improvements in game plan/strategy second half of year would be nice. Players being a constant out is horrible perhaps the message is confusing to them.
Look it’s not Bolton’s fault. We easily have the least talented/experienced list in the competition and we have been smashed by injuries to many if the better players.
When Bolton is in the position that Fagan at Brisbane is currently in - with a near full list available - then we can judge him more reliably.

Weitering will be elite and elite tall defenders don't grow on trees. Having said that this a Bolton topic and I believe it was soley SOS's choice and clear No.1 selection

Can't blame Bolts right or wrong
I don't have a problem with the selection of weitering.

But I think everyone in our defense is unclear on their roles at the moment. IMO going forward if marchbank and weitering are intercept defenders then we should only have one more tall to play the lockdown role and that means only one of plowman, asos, rowe, jones and marceadie should be in the team. like the adelaide model of talia as the number lock down with kelly and lever/doedee coming over the top.

I don't have a problem with the selection of weitering.

But I think everyone in our defense is unclear on their roles at the moment. IMO going forward if marchbank and weitering are intercept defenders then we should only have one more tall to play the lockdown role and that means only one of plowman, asos, rowe, jones and marceadie should be in the team. like the adelaide model of talia as the number lock down with kelly and lever/doedee coming over the top.

IMO once the midfield steps up and can at least break even the defence will be fine. They are just trying to cover each other. Times we have done well the defence has looked good. I'm not concerned at all

The funny thing is, you wouldn't have - and a very quick search on here shows your current posting is littered with revisionist garbage.

At the time you were adamant we should be taking Weitering at pick one. You had Oliver in the frame for our second pick (pick 8), but you were also big on selecting Collins either at 8 or 11. One can only imagine the kind of vitriol you'd be spraying towards poor Kieran had we indeed gone down that path.

did you listen to Gary Lyon, the av games played and age between Melbourne and Carlton were so close it was negligible

Did you also hear Gerard Whateley's, remarks "Carlton are nowhere near where a third year rebuild team should be, Brisbane has a better plan and personnel, I can see what they are trying to do - with Carlton I just don't see it!"

Sums up reality your 2020/2021 is delusional, your riders are only agreeing with you because they don't want to get the lemonade and sars from the board as usually happens.
Carlton
18-20 - 6 (13 games average)
21-23 - 5 (50 avg)
24-26 - 4 (75 avg) - this is literally O'Shea, Kerridge, Lamb and Mullett; Docherty and Phillips are the only other players in this bracket on the list
27-29 - 3 (139 avg)
30+ - 4 (212 avg) - Rowe bringing down the average significantly

Demons
18-20 - 2 (24 avg)
21-23 - 9 (46 avg) - top 10 draft picks, anyone?
24-26 - 5 (94 avg)
27-29 - 3 (80 avg) - late bloomers in Jetta and Hibberd, alongside third-gamer Tim Smith
30+ - 3 (253 avg)

You can see why everyone wants to net some free agents, as we have 4 players we need to dispense with out of 6 in that category on the list, while Melbourne have key players approaching that.

Where we have talent, they're young and often inexperienced, and where we don't we often have no talent and meagre experience.

The funny thing is, you wouldn't have - and a very quick search on here shows your current posting is littered with revisionist garbage.

At the time you were adamant we should be taking Weitering at pick one. You had Oliver in the frame for our second pick (pick 8), but you were also big on selecting Collins either at 8 or 11. One can only imagine the kind of vitriol you'd be spraying towards poor Kieran had we indeed gone down that path.

Full Stop!

so posters have to tolerate this poster's incessant negativity and bleating or be considered bullies? not much wriggle room there.......
Well Thy what’s your take on what’s going on with Weitering?
One thing is certain. We aren’t being told the full story.
My suspicion is that he doesn’t enjoy the hardness of AFL football. It’s very different from junior football in which he starred.

Carlton
18-20 - 6 (13 games average)
21-23 - 5 (50 avg)
24-26 - 4 (75 avg) - this is literally O'Shea, Kerridge, Lamb and Mullett; Docherty and Phillips are the only other players in this bracket on the list
27-29 - 3 (139 avg)
30+ - 4 (212 avg) - Rowe bringing down the average significantly

Demons
18-20 - 2 (24 avg)
21-23 - 9 (46 avg) - top 10 draft picks, anyone?
24-26 - 5 (94 avg)
27-29 - 3 (80 avg) - late bloomers in Jetta and Hibberd, alongside third-gamer Tim Smith
30+ - 3 (253 avg)

You can see why everyone wants to net some free agents, as we have 4 players we need to dispense with out of 6 in that category on the list, while Melbourne have key players approaching that.

Where we have talent, they're young and often inexperienced, and where we don't we often have no talent and meagre experience.
nice post, (scary that our top end is MORE experienced though!) I was looking into the Swans they seem to have a very similar spread to us in terms of experience. ( games played and age)
I'm sure Bolts would love some of those players at his disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back