Coaching Staff Brendon Bolton - Senior Coach - Locked in until end of 2020 (23/5/18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing the success of Bolton has done in such a short period of time. Where do you think we would be if Barker had gotten the position over Bolts.

I for one never really rated Barker as a coach, however with it being such a close decision at the time, interested to hear people's thoughts.

Agree, it will be interesting to see whether JB is in the frame for Richmond/Collingwood/GCS/Brisvegas at year's end.

Thanks a lot for all replies to my questions I really appreciate them & they do make all perfect sense;).I think also we have to get ourselves back to as much as possible a club players want to play for& we would be really appealing to also as well.It does seem we're well on the way of that with how things have changed at the club,having a coach who sends out the message that players really want to sweat for surely are good signs so far no doubt;).

Also posted this in the Media thread .............

Sustained success No.1 for Bolton :thumbsu:

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2016-06-03/sustained-success-no1-for-bolton

Winning will always be more important than positioning for draft picks for Carlton coach Brendon Bolton, who does not think there is a need for a lottery system.

It was suggested this week that Bolton's Blues were getting further away from a premiership because their 5-5 record had taken them out of contention for prime draft picks.
Under the AFL's draft system, Carlton would have pick No.8 as the ladder stands after 10 rounds.

The other problem with playing for draft picks is it assumes all clubs rate the young players the same.

Last year Curnow was rated anywhere from pick 4 to pick 20 and could have fallen well before where we took him. Clubs have to take into account list needs, go-home factor and projected rate of development; which will differ from club to club.

We could well take the 3rd best player with pick 8, and conversely, we could miss completely.

I'd back Bolton in to get the best out of whoever we decide to take. We've seen some remarkable spikes in development across our list so far.

I saw him on FC the other night as ever he showed he speaks very well& you can see he's had a fair big impact on the playing group in such a short period of time:).

Seeing the success of Bolton has done in such a short period of time. Where do you think we would be if Barker had gotten the position over Bolts.

I for one never really rated Barker as a coach, however with it being such a close decision at the time, interested to hear people's thoughts.

Barker last year was trying to coach on the run. I'm perfectly happy with him as an assistant coach at Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love what we're doing and how we're moving the footy, or at least attempting too but there is something that needs addressing and that is clearances. We've gone forwards in almost all areas but we've gone backwards at a great rate of knots in the clearance department. On averages, last year we were second in center clearances and eighth in general clearances. This year we are 16th in general clearances and dead last in center clearances. Apart from missing Murphy (I believe it was still bad before he went down) we've had a pretty fit list and midfield group. It really should be better than that considering how poor we were last year and still did ok in this area and what players we had out last year and who has come in this year. I reckon our coaches needs to be asking the question as to what's going on here and why this has slipped so badly.

Love what we're doing and how we're moving the footy, or at least attempting too but there is something that needs addressing and that is clearances. We've gone forwards in almost all areas but we've gone backwards at a great rate of knots in the clearance department. On averages, last year we were second in center clearances and eighth in general clearances. This year we are 16th in general clearances and dead last in center clearances. Apart from missing Murphy (I believe it was still bad before he went down) we've had a pretty fit list and midfield group. It really should be better than that considering how poor we were last year and still did ok in this area and what players we had out last year and who has come in this year. I reckon our coaches needs to be asking the question as to what's going on here and why this has slipped so badly.

The main differences in the clearances from last year is Kruezer's form. Yes Murphy is out but we have Gibbs back so it sort of evens out.
Kruz was on fire in the second half of last season. That game vs the Dees, when he smashed Max Gawn off the park was an indicator of how good he was going.
This is how big a influence Kruz can have on our side, when his fully fit.
Stats have never been a good guild to how much impact on the game his having.
His been ok this year, but Kruz and Crippa were unstoppable around the clearances last year and I would say both of them are carry something and not 100%.
Regardless we really need to find them some support in the off season.

The main differences in the clearances from last year is Kruezer's form. Yes Murphy is out but we have Gibbs back so it sort of evens out.
Kruz was on fire in the second half of last season. That game vs the Dees, when he smashed Max Gawn off the park was an indicator of how good he was going.
This is how big a influence Kruz can have on our side, when his fully fit.
Stats have never been a good guild to how much impact on the game his having.
His been ok this year, but Kruz and Crippa were unstoppable around the clearances last year and I would say both of them are carry something and not 100%.
Regardless we really need to find them some support in the off season.

Kreuzer's form isn't really below his usual output this season, not sure why people have the opinion he's not in form or not fit. Kreuzer only played 13 games last year anyway. Cripps clearances are actually up on last year, he's leading the league in general clearances and right up there in center clearances. Stats are an accurate indication of how a player is going.

We were ok at clearances this weekend, but this year it's the one area we have really slipped in for some reason.

Carrazzo was our second best clearance player last year followed by Judd who only played 8 games but that's significant enough. Gibbs and Curnow are the two behind Cripps this season. Perhaps Judd and Carrazzo actually influenced the stat much more than expected. Perhaps Cripps lifting his clearances, Gibbs being back and going well and Kerridge and Wright haven't been enough to make up for Carrazzo/Judds departures. Murphy out is a bit of a killer too.
Either way it's a big slipp that we will have to address in coming seasons. I really don't think it's got anything to do with the ruckmen. It's more likely our system isn't as good or our inside mids aren't as good at clearing the ball.

Don't have access to full stats on my phone, but I'd suggest we've sacrificed clearances for better outside run.

Last year we might have been great at clearances but were just about dead last for uncontested ball. We got the ball out but had no one to give it to. I think the pendulum has swung the other way (and probably gone too far). Now we have a great running, linking game but struggle to the ball out.

Can you confirm gb?

As on observation, I would love to see Bolts be a little more human when it comes to talking about individual players. You notice when he is asked about a certain player he'll only say one sentence and then very quickly steer back into a statement about the collective.
Certainly not a criticism but I did love the way Ratten spoke about his players individually.
Can I just add, what BB has done for this footy club is nothing short of phenomenal. We couldn't be in better hand in my view.

Don't have access to full stats on my phone, but I'd suggest we've sacrificed clearances for better outside run.

Last year we might have been great at clearances but were just about dead last for uncontested ball. We got the ball out but had no one to give it to. I think the pendulum has swung the other way (and probably gone too far). Now we have a great running, linking game but struggle to the ball out.

Can you confirm gb?

Possibly, though I don't really see Wright and Kerridge as outside players as such. Uncontested possessions are up by about 27, contested possession is the same.

:thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Bolton receives honour

Carlton’s senior coach has found himself in esteemed company.

Brendon Bolton has been inducted into the Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame, and it’s a privilege not lost on the 37-year-old.
“As a passionate Tasmanian, I am very honoured to be inducted,” Bolton said.
“Tassie footy has produced some great talent over the years so it is humbling to be inducted alongside them.”

BoltonHOFArticle_620X370.jpg

#StandbyBolts

Bolts doing a fantastic job. Our brand of footy has been exciting. The problem is, we don't have the cattle to pull it off consistently and efficiently.

FAR better than Malthouse...

That's a good point. Hopefully as our drafting and list management improves under Silvagni and co, we will start to see more improvement under Bolton.

Can you confirm gb?

I suspect you are right to an extent but we haven't got that right either with Boekhorst and Cuningham being injured.

Wright, Kerridge, Curnow are role playing midfielders and perhaps inside/out rather than right at the goal face, but they also don't have the pace to provide that outside run. Gibbs doesn't have the pace either but he creates space because he has smart running patterns so can provide outside run when the movement is underway, not from a standing start.

I always felt that our flankers should have midfield ability as well and on the surface Simpson and Thomas used to be in the midfield a lot at their peak, but we just don't use them there. Walker has had the ability to get down and dirty in the midfield but has slowed down so isn't use there. Lamb rotates through a little bit but is not a midfielder, and Sumner is too tiny in there.

Back flankers .... Tuohy isn't used in the midfield although many have suggested it, Byrne looks like he could be in time. Docherty looks like he could be an awesome midfielder in my view but is needed down back.

We bring Graham in and out of the side and he is suited to being an inside mid as far as being tough and where his lack of pace won't be exposed, but he is either too light or doesn't think quick enough to influence clearances.

So many in between players.

This is why the idea of versatile players intrigues me this year. Yes, Brodie is good but he is an inside mid and probably that is all he is. Got some pace though so there is something to work with.

Venables could be an inside mid, an inside/out mid, an outside mid, a half forward, a forward pocket, a half back. His attributes are suited to all of those roles and he has shown the ability to play them all in his junior career.

McLuggage could be an outside mid, half forward or forward pocket.

Petrevski-Seton is classed as a bit of a utility. Great ball use on both sides from whatever position. Good news is he is an inside/out or outside mid at present and not something that you have to hope he picks up as we are with Charlie Curnow for example and did hope for Troy Menzel.

I'm wary of our picking up of in between types if they haven't shown anything in the midfield. They must have demonstrated ability there before we draft them for mine. Look at Yarran. All his run and dash really allowed him to do in several years is play as a running half back and we had to battle to teach him defensive skills for a few years. He really should have been able to run through the midfield but never developed a tank or feel for it.

I really don't think it's got anything to do with the ruckmen.

I agree with all your points except that one. In my opinion that is the main reason Carlton are getting smashed in the clearances. They are not winning a lot of taps and when they do they are not going to the midfields advantage.

With the opposite ruck laying it on for speedier mids , Carlton struggle.

Saying that I think that the dual ruck strategy will be successful in the long term but just now its not quite clicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back