FTA-TV Brenton Speed

Remove this Banner Ad

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Fast becoming the best commentator in the AFL imo.

Always liked him in the A-League. Apparently is signed to Fox Sports as an NRL commentator as well, would probably have to pick at some stage between the AFL and NRL.

Doesn't waffle on, has genuine knowledge of the game and doesn't get involved in a heap of the boys club s**t that has creeped into football over the last decade.

Actually keeps the special comments guys focused on the game, because is always paying the play by play the respect as the showpiece.

Unbelievable that someone like Luke Darcy is on a major network compared to this guy.

Obviously I am biased, but I am a big fan of Speedy and Adam Papalia.

Both are extremely knowledgeable and seem to put lots of research and planning into their commentaries.

Jason Bennett also rounds out my dream team of commentators. These guys deserve more time.

Agreed.

It's funny how all the commentators, that just, you know, actually commentate the game with no BS, are relegated to doing the "Matthew Campbell games" As i like to call them, the quieter games. Speed and Papalia are filling the role (and should be commentating the bigger games, instead of people like Derwayne), and Jason Bennett is doing VFL, when he really should be calling the AFL full time (They should let him do the Saturday Nights instead of Basil and Sunday afternoons with BT.)

Was looking for a thread on speedy on Saturday, being new here I wasn't game to create a thread.
But totally agree, I love him commentating AFL. I'd say my favourite at the moment.
Looking forward to the day he does an eagles game.

Last edited:
I didnt realise he also did NRL, but was surprised at first when i heard him doing AFL, but he is pretty damn good at it, which is more than can be said for a lot of the other flogs that are currently commentating on ch 7. Hoping he is here to stay, because he and Adam Papalia are a real breath of fresh air.

i was shocked with how much he knew. i knew of him from a league telecasts and he's very knowledgeable there but he didn't stuff up names, commentated very well and just kept everything flowing really well. exactly what a commentator should do.

Big Hawk man too. Sat in front of him at 2013 GF.

I'll always have time for him.

Agree with most of the comments here.

He is surprisingly good, and generally a pleasure to listen to. (I say surprisingly as I didn't like his NBL commentary much, and have thought him of being biased in Illawarra home games more than once. But hey, that's not uncommon for home court calls in basketball at all.)

The first time I noticed him on the coverage this year was when he turned up to a preseason match (Gold Coast v Essendon, from hazy memory). He did the job extremely well that day - and it has been the same ever since. I hadn't associated with him the AFL before, but his knowledge and calling so far is first-class.

He's very good. Similar in style to Clinton Grybas who to this day is still the one of the best commentators we've ever had.
A rung above Papalia and Bennett who are also pretty good.

Yep three top notch current day commentators those blokes.

Clinton's passing will always be a massive tragedy. R.I.P.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speedy got the hawks game today.

Not complaining, just worried he will be like Dunstall and slam us hard :)

Brenton has Gold Coast v North this week, with Browny, Lynch and Dal Santo. Can't wait to hear him commentate AFL again

At the local with Carlton v Melbourne on one screen and Bulldogs v Knights on the other.

Pub commentary is NRL with Brenton Speed. Less than 24 hours after Swans v Suns with Brenton Speed.

Waiting for an A-League replay afterwards....

This guy is a true professional. I'm not sure if his knowledge of multiple sports is natural or if it's due to a lot of research, but he's streets ahead of almost every other commentator in the country either way.

I find him to be a poor soccer commentator. His talkative style means that he over-commentates, and his lack of real understanding of the nuances of the game is evident in the way he calls and the questions he asks of his analyst.

But he's been pretty good commentating AFL games, where the faster pace and less technical aspects of the game suit his commentary a lot better.

Has always been good with the A-League and have liked his commentary since he's started doing footy.

Foxtel's pundits and commentators for the soccer - both the EPL and A-League - are all very good, pity Fox Footy is a mixed bag at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back